8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been converting my KM to Miles and my liters to gallons and Ihave been calculating that I get only about 23 mpg and that is horrible for this car. I have come to find though that there are two seperate conversion factors for liters to gallons. Imperial and US. When I use the imperial one I get 29 mpg wwhich seems to fit better.

Which is correct, US or imperial? I also did it the canadian way which is liters per 100 kilometers and I get 10 L per 100 KM which seems really high compared to the 7.8 per 100 Km that the sticker says.

I am confused.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am getting 23 MPG? That sucks. I bought this car for gas mileage and I only get 5 more KM than in my v6 Tiburon. I have a 1000 Km on it so when is it supposed to get better? This is not the first new car I have had and I have never noticed that I get any dramatic increase in gas mileage after the first couple months. Why is this car different?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm still at 33mpg mostly city... I'd say somethings wrong if you're that low.

·
Registered
95 Posts
According to that spreadsheet, I'm getting 27.7 MPG or 8.5 L/100 KM. I don't know why my gas mileage is higher than my 1999 Protege that was replaced with this Civic. :confused: I've only filled it once, so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet. Right now, I'm gonna say that I've been over-revving a little as I'm getting used to the car. I'm a newb at this stick shift business...hopefully the gas mileage improves for me too!

·
Registered
46 Posts
i m only getting 30-31 mpg with 80% city. also winter gas will give u less mpg.

·
Registered
46 Posts
how long will the break in period last? i m at 2400 miles now.... 31mpg is not too impressive to me..

·
Registered
29 Posts
popi said:
how long will the break in period last? i m at 2400 miles now.... 31mpg is not too impressive to me..
Try easing up a bit at green lights and not driving as aggressively. I know, I know... you don't. Well, if you're getting crappy mileage, you probably do. Yeah, I know... you don't. But really, you do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hahahaha!! maybe i do have to ease up abit at the green lights. i will do some granny drive for my next tank and see what happens. I doubt driving in the peak time traffic twice a day will yield me any good gas milage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
popi said:
hahahaha!! maybe i do have to ease up abit at the green lights. i will do some granny drive for my next tank and see what happens. I doubt driving in the peak time traffic twice a day will yield me any good gas milage.
If you are in stop an go traffic a lot then your mileage will suffer... When you're stopped you get 0 mpg and constant acceleration is bad for fuel economy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
hondas have to be broken in to see the real good gas mileage. Id say that your mileage will go up around 3000 miles and then continue till 10,000 when you will see epa estimates or better

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I got 30mpg on the first tank and 29mpg on the second. That was with a little rally racing and a little drag racing, respectively. The third tank has been going the same but no racing. On the 4th tank I'm really going to let it have it. :)

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
popi said:

I found that on my 2 7thgens there where two break in points. I went from getting 25-28 MPG to around 30MPG some where around 1000-1,500 miles. I notice a larger jump to 34-37 MPG around 15,000-16,000 miles. That's just what I noticed... maybe I'm on crakc though:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
first u need to let the engine break in. dont u people know anything about cars? everything needs to wear a bit and break in and settle. U should see a gain w/i the first 1000mi if not, then by the first oil change. and then it will go up and should be done by 15k - 20k miles.

go the speed limit (65mph will make a huge difference in mpg then if u go 70)
dont excel/brake fast.
shift at 3000rpm or lower when possiable so that u dont go into Vtec (uses more fuel)
Keep tires at correct psi

who ever said that winter gas will yield less mpg needs to show some proof. why would colder temps make the gas not work/ lower the quality?

Stop and go traffic = bad for mpg/car
flooring it to 3000rpm and shifting at that point just to prove my shift early theory wrong would make u an idiot and would make ur mpg suck azz.

once ur car has 5000mi on it use LC20 and FP60. these will yield about 3-4mpg increase. (and the LC20 will save ur trannys, especially autos...)

dont know what this ^ is? search it on this site. I did a post on it and its in the other products forum.... go to the site, read about it, order it. www.lubecontrol.com

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
^^^Winter gas yields less because you have to warm up your car, use your defrost, etc. Normally, when the temp hits 40 degrees or lower, I sit in my car for 5 minutes before I drive off first thing in the morning. Sometimes this is due to the amount of snow on my car. There's also the amount of slipping on ice and snow during initial take off from lights/stop signs. It's minimal each time, but those times add up. You're not going to go from 40 mpg in the summer to 20 mpg in the winter, but there is a slight change in mpg during the winter.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I drive in traffic most of the time just try to shift below 4k rpms. I noticed I forget to shift at lower RPMS since the engine is so quite.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Winter gas will yield less mpg due to the some chemical added to the fuel (kind of like diluted the gas) to stablize it in the winter. do a seach in google and u will find more info on this topic.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts