8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fist off I'll say sorry now if this has been previous topic but I couldn't find it in my search or at the hondata site. I would like to get the hondata reflash but I'm not sure if what I was thinking will work. I can't find an intake that is carb aproved, only pending for the 07. There will be no ice box in the near future and I wanted a dry flow filter. For now I'm just going to go with the wix filter and the tbs. I have an rt cat on order but I'm not sure if the rt cat and the tbs in combination will suffice for either the intake or the race header to meet the requirment for a power gain with the reflash. Just wondering if any one has the reflash with just a high flow cat and if I could expect the normal gains or just a loss in power. So in this senario is it worth it to get the hondata now or just wait for the aem to get the carb numbers and do it then? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention this would be with stock exhaust and probably the gredy evo II in the future.

·
Registered
77 Posts
JMorris said:
Fist off I'll say sorry now if this has been previous topic but I couldn't find it in my search or at the hondata site. I would like to get the hondata reflash but I'm not sure if what I was thinking will work. I can't find an intake that is carb aproved, only pending for the 07. There will be no ice box in the near future and I wanted a dry flow filter. For now I'm just going to go with the wix filter and the tbs. I have an rt cat on order but I'm not sure if the rt cat and the tbs in combination will suffice for either the intake or the race header to meet the requirment for a power gain with the reflash. Just wondering if any one has the reflash with just a high flow cat and if I could expect the normal gains or just a loss in power. So in this senario is it worth it to get the hondata now or just wait for the aem to get the carb numbers and do it then? Thanks for the input.
Before i did the reflash I was wondering the same thing. No one seemed to be able to give me a straight answer. No offense to anyone. I only have a drop-in filter, cat-back exhaust, and hi-flow-cat as far as power mods go and I don't think I lost any power.

Wider :vtec: band FTW!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
just get an AEM CAI, and the reflash. The money aparently isn't an option since you're running a Hi Flow Cat, but why didn't you just get the DCRH instead and lose the cat?

What exactly are you trying to set up for? Kinda seems weird/Bass Akwards the way you're going at your set up... :popcorn:

·
Registered
301 Posts
JMorris said:
i have wondered the same thing, i have a rt hfc on the way and wonder if it will be good enough for the reflash too?? also have the drop in k&n filter. i don't want any of the intakes that are currently out(no offense) and a race header is too much trouble to install in my opinion, cause when smog time comes i'll have to go through the whole process again of taking off and putting on again. i think we need to email hondata and ask, even though they will prolly reply with " you must have an intake or header" i would think it should work but i don't wanna go through the trouble of gettin a reflash and then not work properly. hmmmm?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses. The rt cat is not carb approved. It's a 49 state model and I'm in CA. I think I can still pass smog with it though. I don't think they will catch it in a visual like they would a race header and I suspect I will still pass the emission (i'm hoping). If I fail smog, It will not be that difficult to bolt the stock cat back up. Additional I don't have to worry about the huge fine for not running a cat. As far as the aem goes last I check (last week) they are only carb pending on the 07 sedan. I also check the carb web site and there is no nuber out for intake yet. Comptech has a carb number but no intake. I also called and talked with comptech and there is no ice box coming out, they just have a blanket carb number in the event that they do make one. They have no prototypes for any intake at this time. If I'm wrong about the aem please post a link, as I would be interested in the sri. Due to fact that this would not be over looked in a visual I need the carb numbers not just a pending number. Looking forward to the info from hondata.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JMorris said:
Thanks for the responses. The rt cat is not carb approved. It's a 49 state model and I'm in CA. I think I can still pass smog with it though. I don't think they will catch it in a visual like they would a race header and I suspect I will still pass the emission (i'm hoping). If I fail smog, It will not be that difficult to bolt the stock cat back up. Additional I don't have to worry about the huge fine for not running a cat. As far as the aem goes last I check (last week) they are only carb pending on the 07 sedan. I also check the carb web site and there is no nuber out for intake yet. Comptech has a carb number but no intake. I also called and talked with comptech and there is no ice box coming out, they just have a blanket carb number in the event that they do make one. They have no prototypes for any intake at this time. If I'm wrong about the aem please post a link, as I would be interested in the sri. Due to fact that this would not be over looked in a visual I need the carb numbers not just a pending number. Looking forward to the info from hondata.
Hi JMorris,

When did you talk to Comptech about the Ice box? I spoke to them a few weeks back and they said it would be towards the fall when they have one.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
I live in one of the toughest CARB counties in California and I pasted smog with an RT Cat on a 94 GSR. The tech asked why i replaced it, and i said
"it was icky"
"it was icky?"
"yeah and old"
He bought it and passed me.

I have read in other fourms that Hondata only tested the reflash with a CAI and RH because these were the only things out at the time. The elimnation of the cat is where a RH gets most of its power from so a HFC might be just as good. Also, there wasn't a TBS (which isn't CARB legal either). If you are worried about smog, just keep the stock cat lying around and swap it if you have to. Thats my plan.

Here is an update on the Ice box.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51649&highlight=Comptech+CARB

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was last Tuesday 8/07 that I made the call to comptech. I'm willing to bet that many of the smog techs will not know a tbs when they see it. If they do it's an easy part to change back to stock. The race header or intake would be a bit more work.

·
Registered
301 Posts
this the response i got form hondata:
This one reflash will work well with a variety of aftermarket performance parts. It will work well with:

An intake
Cat-backs (as long as they are less restrictive than stock)
A race header *
A combination of intake and race header
(*Note that current race headers eliminate the catalytic converter and will generate a check engine light. This engine check light is for emissions and will not affect the car's performance. Race headers are for offroad use only)

You must have a minimum of an intake or header.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All they did was copy what is on there web page. It doesn't directly answer the question. Here is what is on there page.

This one reflash will work well with a variety of aftermarket performance parts. It will work well with:

An intake
A race header *
(*Note that current race headers eliminate the catalytic converter and will generate a check engine light. This engine check light is for emissions and will not affect the car's performance. Race headers are for offroad use only)

It is not designed to work with a stock 06/07 Civic Si and will lose power between 4500rpm and 5600 rpm if installed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
JMorris said:
All they did was copy what is on there web page. It doesn't directly answer the question. Here is what is on there page.

An intake
A race header *

It is not designed to work with a stock 06/07 Civic Si and will lose power between 4500rpm and 5600 rpm if installed.
i know that's why i posted it, they didn't truely answer the question. i wonder why? maybe because it will work?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
They probably haven't tried that combo and don't want to take any guesses. Why don't you give it a go and let us know how it turns out ;)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
JMorris said:
forgot to mention this would be with stock exhaust and probably the gredy evo II in the future.
go skunk2 70mm, why upgrade to evo 2 when its almost the same as stock just basically bigger piping..60mm...skunk2 70mm (less restrictive) hondata (works well with less restrictive than stock) 70mm is the best for these NA setups, not saying 60mm isnt good, just not much of an increase, dynos dont lie.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts