8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've done a lot of research on the reflash, and I've seen a lot of reflashed ecus sold on this forum. I just bought one myself and it's being shipped. My question is, it's the right year for my car and all, but who here has actually done it and gotten the dealership to reprogram their car. I have my stock ecu so I'm just going to drive the car and give them the ecu to swap out. So

1. How much did it cost YOU? I've heard free I've heard 100, but Pacific Honda in SD says 208 bucks! So I'm going to look around at other places, but I'm curious what's realistic.
2. What did you say to the dealership as the reason for swapping out your ecu? Especially in my situation where I have a working ecu I'm kind of curious what's the best, non-a$$hole answer to give them. Don't want to be a jerk. Have had WAY too many problems with dealerships already.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can swap the ECU yourself. It is super simple. Just disconnect the 3 wiring harness connections, remove the 2 (or 3) bolts and swap it out. It should only take you 10 minutes.

I would not take a Hondata Reflashed ECU to a dealer. Knowing how dealers work, they would probably try to initialize the ECU and reflash it to be sure it was up to date with the current software rev. If that happens there goes your performance reflash.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
You can swap the ECU yourself. It is super simple. Just disconnect the 3 wiring harness connections, remove the 2 (or 3) bolts and swap it out. It should only take you 10 minutes.

I would not take a Hondata Reflashed ECU to a dealer. Knowing how dealers work, they would probably try to initialize the ECU and reflash it to be sure it was up to date with the current software rev. If that happens there goes your performance reflash.
you may be able to swap it, but the car still wont run because of the immobilizer, it needs to be programmed at a honda dealer to work with your car.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I don't get your question really.

Are you talking about the performance reflash (I assume) or the reflash that supposedly fixes the rev hang, etc.?

As for the the performance one, Idk where the hell people are getting it for $100 or less. Thats insane. I paid close to full price, which off the website is what..5 something?

And if so, you don't have to take it to your dealer? You can do it yourself. You send it away yourself, re install yourself. Or have someone do it for you, but I wouldn't take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I don't get your question really.

Are you talking about the performance reflash (I assume) or the reflash that supposedly fixes the rev hang, etc.?

As for the the performance one, Idk where the hell people are getting it for $100 or less. Thats insane. I paid close to full price, which off the website is what..5 something?

And if so, you don't have to take it to your dealer? You can do it yourself. You send it away yourself, re install yourself. Or have someone do it for you, but I wouldn't take it to a dealer.

im pretty sure hes saying that he bought a hondata reflashed ecu from a member on the site and he needs to get it programmed to work on his vehicle. so he needs to bring it to a honda dealership to program the ecu so it will work with his key, etc. otherwise if its not programmed for your car, the car wont start because of the immobilizer.

i know that thats what im looking to do because i cant afford to go without a car for 3 days.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify, I bought a hondata reflashed ECU from another member who had an 07. I just want to put this in my car but I have to get it reprogrammed cause of the immobilizer. Just wondering how much I should be paying and stuff. I assume I can't do it myself in any way without honda's software.

Meanwhile, I'll make sure though that honda doesn't reflash the ECU back to stock! Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just tell them the truth. Tell them you have a reflashed ECU and that you need to have the key matched to it so that your car will run. They should be happy to take some of your money to perform the job.

If that doesn't work, talk to one of the Techs in the back..in other words, don't go through the actual service people, talk to a mechanic and see if he will do it...it can still be legit, but he prolly can explain to the service rep what you need done without confusing him.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
i would try and see if a tech can do it for you while he's off work. some of them work on sundays when none of the service people are around and theyll do little jobs for cheap. that way they dont put in the computer system at the shop that you have a reflashed ecu and potentially lose your warranty.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess that's why I might wait until a Saturday or something.

That being said, anybody know if you lose your warranty at one honda, if it'd be in the database at all the dealers? cause they don't seem to be very well connected, but at the same time, they're always trying to protect the bottom line. meanwhile, I guess they'd have to prove that the damage was due to the ecu anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.