8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a conversation with American Honda I was shocked to find out that Honda will produce 1200 Mugen Si as opposed to the originally anticipated 1000 vehicles. AH could not offer any explanation as far as the Mugen specific VIN #s as well. I advised Honda that there was no definitive way to distinguish our cars from a regular FBP SI(unless a registry is created) and that several dealerships are selling the Mugen parts to the general public.The matter will be handed over to a regional manager to contact me in 2 business days. :box:

·
Registered
809 Posts
There are plenty of Mugens here in NJ. I know of 5 dealers in my area that have one as of this morning because I called and asked them and I visited 3 of them just to kick the tires. One of the dealers acutally has their Mugen outside. I wont say which just in case some shady charcter reads this post. A dealer up in north Jersey had two and sold them and I willing to bet there are a few more that I dont know about yet. So they arent going to be all that rare around here.

·
Registered
809 Posts
thats cause people are buying it like hot cakes.....
I'm not so sure about that. How long have they been at these dealers? All 5 that I mentioned are within a 30 min radius of me. I pretty sure they've had them for a least a month or two. Not sure though.

Thats pretty lame if they did make a couple of hundred more because they were selling fast. Kind of screws the people that thought they had one of only a thousand. I also read somewhere, car and driver I believe, that it's not going to be a one year deal. It said a 1000 per year. So next year they will produce another 1000. Not so rare after all.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I am not entirely sure, but didn't a manufacturer get sued over this once before? They had a limited production run of an exclusive vehicle and then decided they'd make more. The original owners sued the manufacturer.

It was probably a pretty exclusive car though, and you likely entered a contract when you bought one anyway.

Still I think it would be pretty weak for the people who bought one already.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like a lawsuit to me. They clearly advertise it as only 1000 made. Funny, one of the dealers I went to today said it's one of 600. I laughed and said "nope, 1 of 1000" The guy was like, "oh". All the dealers I called that had one said "yeah, we have one in blue, I was like no crap thats the only color it comes in. Salesmen are dopes.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
it was stated in every press release...

the aspect that amazes me is how many are still on the lots...and yet they are making more...

·
Registered
809 Posts
it was stated in every press release...

the aspect that amazes me is how many are still on the lots...and yet they are making more...
I just started considering trading in my si sedan for the Mugen. First dealer I called over the weekend had one. They wanted over sticker so I said screw this let me make some calls first. I figured that it was probably going to be the only one in the area. Good thing I called. Like I mentioned above. 5 Mugens within a 30 min radius of my home. I'll wait till the end of Feb now when the car sales are in the toilet and offer them below sticker. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I just started considering trading in my si sedan for the Mugen. First dealer I called over the weekend had one. They wanted over sticker so I said screw this let me make some calls first. I figured that it was probably going to be the only one in the area. Good thing I called. Like I mentioned above. 5 Mugens within a 30 min radius of my home. I'll wait till the end of Feb now when the car sales are in the toilet and offer them below sticker. :laughing:

save your money and mod your SI...or you can do what I do and Pray for an R

·
Registered
809 Posts
save your money and mod your SI...or you can do what I do and Pray for an R
I know thats my delema. I have 5k burning a whole in my pocket. Mod my si or trade it and plunck the 5g's down on the Mugen. My payments are going to pretty much the same if I go 72 months on the Mugen vs the 60 I have on my si.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
don't due it...put 1k into the civic...and the rest in the bank...don't take longer payments just to have the mugen...honestly that would be a shame...its no better...

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know. Car and driver said it no faster what so ever. Sounds a little cooler and has that exotic body kit. Oh yeah and handles better. None of the reviews I've read have said you must buy this car. One actually did say what you said. Just mod your si.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
my opinion, which is worthless, is the mugen si is a collectors item, for zealots like me...not to be a dd...just to park in the garage and stare at...I guess thats why I dont own one, I cant afford to leave it in the garage...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well if people are buying these Mugens, then of course Honda is going to make more.

Sure they will be going back on their word for "1000" but if they can make that much cash then they will do it.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I think if Honda were to make more, then they should issue a new production run of 1000, but in a different color (maybe RED). :lildevil:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts