8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for it's first service today. :thumb:

I asked them to check the gearbox and I was told my car is normal. Something told me it will not do it when the Honda Tech drove the car. Great to hear I have a normal car. :sadwavy:

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Two Things You Can Do.....

Step 1 ) Leave The Car Over Night At The Honda Dealer And Let The Technician Drive It First Thing In The Morning.

Step 2) REPEAT "Step 1" Until Problem Is Found.

If You Don't Trust The Technician Or Honda Dealer, Then Ride With The Technician Just In Case He/She Found The Problem And Lie That Nothing Happen.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Personally, there's not much you can do about this issue. The 1-2 grind can be alleviated by swapping the manual transmission fluid to either Amsoil or OEM. The grind is there because Honda is using double-coned synchros where the trade off is durability over performance since they take the most beatings. There's nothing they can do mechanically to first the third grind notchiness. If you want him to hear the grind, make him ride shotgun and shift really fast at redline. That's all there is to it. Then have the technician do the same. The only problem with that suggestion is that the technician will give the excuse that it wasn't meant to be driven like that.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I've gotten this comment several times from dealers, even when it popped/kicked out of 3rd WITH the Tech in the car. He just "didn't see/hear it."

·
ms3 fail.
8,339 Posts
take it back again, dont take no for an answer. taken mine 4 times... go complain to the service manager.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will probably try the Amsoil fluid change and to see how that works. I don't have time to keep going to the dealership.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yodums said:
Personally, there's not much you can do about this issue. The 1-2 grind can be alleviated by swapping the manual transmission fluid to either Amsoil or OEM. The grind is there because Honda is using double-coned synchros where the trade off is durability over performance since they take the most beatings. .

hmmm good info right here. My 1st to 2nd grind is terrible......I thought it might be just me. I have heard about third gear issues, of which I have none, but my car grinds like no other when you shift hard from 1-2 near redline......really annoying to happen on a car with 7.5k on the odometer.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The invoice shows the tech signing off as the vehicle is NORMAL. So true. All the trans have the same condition thus NORMAL. Honda has always had trans issues, just not so soon in no mileage units.

Hopefully Honda will step up and admit the flaws. Denial will hurt their reputation more than a simple trans & DBW issues. General Motors Corp. may have lost the #1 spot, but in time with denial from Japanese auto makers may be right back on top.

:vtec:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts