8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
El Presidente'
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get one. Not sure how soon, but sometime.
I was talking with a guy who said that I should only purchase an 00-03 since those were the years that the redline was at 95. I guess they lowered it??
Anyone have feedback?
Also, does anyone know if they added any more ponies under the hood for the 06?
I doubt they did. Suposidly it is the highest tweaked engine ever built pushing out the max hp for a 4 banger.

·
Registered
287 Posts
but the 04 up dynos more hp, and has more torque. It has an 8800 redline or something like that. Not too much of a drop.

·
El Presidente'
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ooooh that might be the rout to go. How much did they up it too?
The thing that sucks is that it is rear wheel drive, and MN has this thing called snow. :driving:

·
Registered
313 Posts
00-03 had the 9000 rpm redline. In 04 the displacement went to 2.2L and redline dropped to 8000 (redline is 8000 but the car revs to an indicated 8300 I think). I would test drive both if possible, because many people prefer the 2L engine, but the restyled 04+ looks better IMO. If you are concerned about snow, the 06 S2000 will be getting traction control and VSA. I still, however, would be very hesitant to drive the S2000 in the snow without winter tires on.

·
El Presidente'
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. I did test drive the 05 and loved it. A bit on the bumpy side, but still. Fun as hell. :driving:

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you do go with the older model S2000, make sure to get an '02 or '03 because they have a glass back window. The '00-'01 models have a plastic back window that is really hard to see out of and gets messed up easily.

Just a heads-up. :thumb:

·
El Presidente'
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah? Good call about the window. I will do it. Not sure when, but I will get one. Now time to stratagize how to sell the wife on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe the 04+ used a 2.2 to make the same hp but at a more usable rpm. I mean, 9000 rpms is great and all but not everyone likes to spin the puppies outta the 2.0 to make that power. I believe the 2.2 makes some more torque earlier in the rev band for daily drivers. I say either would be great though. I had a 94 del sol and that thing had a close to 8000 redline...... wowzers was that thing scary...not scary as in fast....scary as in I thought it was going to go poof after 7200 rpms

·
El Presidente'
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL!!! Yeah, redlining is fun, but scary as hell too. I mean really though, how often do you readline unless you are racing.
I think i will go with the newer model because I would rather have the bigger engine. Safer in my mind. I won't blow it! :driving:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rainman said:
LOL!!! Yeah, redlining is fun, but scary as hell too. I mean really though, how often do you readline unless you are racing.
I think i will go with the newer model because I would rather have the bigger engine. Safer in my mind. I won't blow it! :driving:
I think that is a good choice. You cant go wrong with either but I think the 2.2 has a more usable power band for daily driving and still has that race car feel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts