8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Honda today to get my 20,000 mile inspection for my car, all went well except for my breaks. the break pads are nearly completely gone (3mm.) but there is not damage whatsoever to the rotors. when i asked what the price would be to get some new pads he told me $475!
He told me that it was so high b/c they have to machine the rotors a little for the new breaks to work properly.
^
kinda sounded like stealership b/s to me but whatever. I'm going to look around on Monday and get a couple more estimates.

so my question is; have any of you needed to get new breaks pads yet, and what was the price?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Brakes???

Go To autozone and get some brake pads dude, Change them yourself its freaking easy.

·
Registered
406 Posts
New set of break pads cost $20-$30 at autozone. I think anything over $100 to put a new set of breaks on is way to much considering the parts are so cheap and they can be changed in about 15 mins or so if you know what you are doing. Oh, and I will bet you a fair amoount of money that if you bring it to a private shop that their quote will not be anywhere near that much. For $475 you can get brand new slotted and drilled rotors with high performance pads for less than that! Good luck with it though, and I hope this helps ya out.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
I went to Honda today to get my 20,000 mile inspection for my car, all went well except for my breaks. the break pads are nearly completely gone (3mm.) but there is not damage whatsoever to the rotors. when i asked what the price would be to get some new pads he told me $475!
He told me that it was so high b/c they have to machine the rotors a little for the new breaks to work properly.
^
kinda sounded like stealership b/s to me but whatever. I'm going to look around on Monday and get a couple more estimates.

so my question is; have any of you needed to get new breaks pads yet, and what was the price?
Get aftermarket brake pads, and get the rotors turned all in all in should be less than 50 bucks and do it yourself, brakes are the easiest thing to work on, on a car

pads are going to range from 30-50 dollars and machine the rotors shouldnt be more than 15-20 bucks (see my post below)

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
New set of break pads cost $20-$30 at autozone. I think anything over $100 to put a new set of breaks on is way to much considering the parts are so cheap and they can be changed in about 15 mins or so if you know what you are doing. Oh, and I will bet you a fair amoount of money that if you bring it to a private shop that their quote will not be anywhere near that much. For $475 you can get brand new slotted and drilled rotors with high performance pads for less than that! Good luck with it though, and I hope this helps ya out.
I work at autozone, dont buy our pads, they leave dust like a MF. If you are going to do that go get some from O rielly and get "thermal quiets"

·
Registered
7,924 Posts

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
How have you worn out brake pades on such a light little car in 20k miles! My VW Golf went 60k on front brakes and never even changed the rear brakes in 130k miles!

Be carefull with dealerships. They will say this "your brakes are 5% worn and should be replaced." Most would hear the 5% worn and think they only have 5% left. But they actually still have 95% good brake pads.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
If you pads are truely worn out at 20k miles it is possible your rotors will need machined/replaced. If you wore you pads out that fast you must be a little hard on them (not flaming). However, for them to use machining the rotors as the excuse to charge you $475 is rediculous. The shop I used to work at charged like $10-$15 extra on a brake job to machine the rotors. It takes about 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Do we know if the Si rotors are allowed to be machined? Or that the dealership will do it?
Still 475.00 is high. New high quality aftermarket rotors and pad can be installed for way LESS>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.