8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around on Honda's site at the new insight and saw this picture

At first site I thought "oh cool, the new Insight gets HIDs". That's what it looks like right?

Think again. They're Halogens. The headlight bezel around the low beams and the projector shrouds are actually tinted light blue (Honda touts it as a nifty "feature"), which when looked at or photographed from the side makes the Halogens look like HIDs.

So way to go Honda in taking the next cheezy step in fake HID halogen headlights after Mitsubishi's blue "Contact lens" Eclipse headlights (see here).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Way to go Honda. We know they can make great HID setups. I'll never understand why they go to such lengths to simulate the appearance of HID when they could just use that effort to make HIDs an option.

·
Registered
931 Posts
^^Cost. The new insight is going to be the cheapest hybrid ever produced, and is suppose to be the first hybrid that pays for itself over its lifetime of usage, in fuel savings.

In most hybrids the premium you pay for it doesnt match the fuel savings over the lifetime of the car ($10k buys alot of gas, the MPG difference vs base model is usually not more then 20%), so really your paying to be green. The insight is suppose to change that, according to Honda.

So... Cost. I am glad Honda can make cheap look good in this case.

-Steve

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^Cost. The new insight is going to be the cheapest hybrid ever produced, and is suppose to be the first hybrid that pays for itself over its lifetime of usage, in fuel savings.

In most hybrids the premium you pay for it doesnt match the fuel savings over the lifetime of the car ($10k buys alot of gas, the MPG difference vs base model is usually not more then 20%), so really your paying to be green. The insight is suppose to change that, according to Honda.

So... Cost. I am glad Honda can make cheap look good in this case.

-Steve
HIDs aren't that expensive. A full retrofit costs around $1000 and that includes projectors, shrouds, ballasts, wiring, bulbs and the custom fitting labor.

All the Insight would need for HIDs would be HID projectors, ballasts, bulbs and wiring.

TSX projectors, phillips bulbs and ballasts and upgraded headlight wiring harnesses would only cost $500-$600 more than the stock halogen projector setup.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
HIDs aren't that expensive. A full retrofit costs around $1000 and that includes projectors, shrouds, ballasts, wiring, bulbs and the custom fitting labor.
Then the Insight would cost more than an entry level Toyota Prius. Would you really choose a hybrid that gets 8 mpg less just because it came with stock HIDs?

The Insight-II is an entry level car. The Fit doesn't offer HID's. The civic doesn't offer HID's. I can't think of many other entry level cars that do either.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations on trying a failed attempt to deride the Insight-II before it's even on the streets.

So Honda is trying to spice up an entry level hybrid. GM did the same thing with blue tinted lights on the Buick Enclave. Buick | Enclave 2009 | Picture Gallery | Crossover Photos
:pat: In the future you might want to think before you post about what an idiot I am. The Enclave actually has HIDs, Buick isn't using cheap tricks to make halogens look like HIDs. Plus the Enclave's lights aren't tinted, they have blue LEDs around the projectors.

The blue rings around the Enclave's projectors is just them jumping on the bandwagon of LED decoration in headlights, like Audi's LED DRLs, Cadillac's LED "light tubes" and BMW's "corona rings".

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I did delete that post but you came on to quick.... Sorry :sadwavy:

Decor is decor. Audi/Buick/Honda - it doesn't matter. They added the tint just for looks. Read what I wrote above. Entry level is entry level. I don't expect HID's as stock offering on a Honda compact. Period.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then the Insight would cost more than an entry level Toyota Prius. Would you really choose a hybrid that gets 8 mpg less just because it came with stock HIDs?
Seriously, did you even read my post that you quoted? I said a full retrofit costs $1000. That is to custom convert a car with reflector optics and halogens to use projectors and HIDs.

If you read my whole post you would have seen that I said that offering HIDs on the Insight would only cost $500-$600 more because it already uses halogen projectors, all it would need is HID projectors, a different headlight wiring harness and, HID bulbs and ballasts.

Plus the base Prius is already cheaper than the Insight EX.

The Insight-II is an entry level car. The Fit doesn't offer HID's. The civic doesn't offer HID's. I can't think of many other entry level cars that do either.
The Mazda 3 is an entry level car and it offers HIDs. The Toyota Prius offers HIDs.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Decor is decor. Audi/Buick/Honda - it doesn't matter. They added the tint just for looks. Read what I wrote above. Entry level is entry level. I don't expect HID's as stock offering on a Honda compact. Period.
I don't expect HIDs either. My point is why go through the effort to make fake HIDs when you could offer real ones as a $500-$600 option. It seems pretty cheesy to me. Honda has sunk to using Mitsubishi level gimmicks.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
*shrugs*

Doesn't bother me anymore than faux wood interior trim in dozens of other cars.

Although If Honda threw HID's in the Insight then every Accord, Civic Si, Fit Sport, Civic EX-L, CRV, Pilot, Ridgeline, etc owner would come crying why not my car!

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*shrugs*

Doesn't bother me anymore than faux wood interior trim in dozens of other cars.

Although If Honda threw HID's in the Insight then every Accord, Civic Si, Fit Sport, Civic EX-L, CRV, Pilot, Ridgeline, etc owner would come crying why not my car!
Well, faux wood trim has long been regarded as cheesy too. It makes sense for Honda to not offer HIDs on the Accord sedan, Civic, Fit, CRV, Pilot, and Ridgeline because none of them have projectors, so it would be quite expensive to offer HIDs on the because it would require completely different headlights.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
According to Honda.com the Accord has Projector-Beam Halogen Headlights. Of course I'm not any kind of expert so I have no clue what'd be required for a HID.

Even if the rest are non projector cars it would just seem weird to offer HID's only on one Honda model and not even a top of the line car.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to Honda.com the Accord has Projector-Beam Halogen Headlights. Of course I'm not any kind of expert so I have no clue what'd be required for a HID.
Yes, the Accord coupe has projectors, but the Accord sedan does not.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
What's the fuss is about? And what the heck are "fake HIDs"? They use projector lens over the halogen bulbs, instead of reflectors. This way they do a decent job of not scattering the light, plus make a vehicle more affordable. That's all folks.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Compared to a 5 dollar blue film, they are.
I suppose, but I would like to think that Honda is above such cheap gimmicks.

What's the fuss is about? And what the heck are "fake HIDs"? They use projector lens over the halogen bulbs, instead of reflectors. This way they do a decent job of not scattering the light, plus make a vehicle more affordable. That's all folks.
Fake HIDs are any attempt to make Halogen headlights imitate the bluish white hue of HIDs. It is done purely for cosmetic value and is considered very cheesy and in some cases ricey.

One example are these.

Blue tinted bulbs that do nothing for visibility (they actually make it much worse) but are a cheap way to make your car look like it has HIDs.

Another example:

Blue headlight film, pretty much the same effect as the bulbs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.