8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Honda Hybrid - to battle prius.

Honda Motor Co. is aiming for annual sales of 100,000 units in North America for its next-generation hybrid, a car priced under the Honda Civic Hybrid to go head-to-head with the Toyota Prius.

The car will hit the market in 2009 and be a dedicated hybrid with no gasoline version, Honda COO Takanobu Ito said at the Tokyo motor show.

It will seat four to five people and probably take styling cues from the wedge-shaped FCX fuel cell sedan that Honda is displaying at the show. The price will come in below the Honda Civic Hybrid and above the Honda Fit subcompact, Ito said.

He declined to say whether the new hybrid will use a lithium ion battery, which is still not used in production cars, or the nickel-metal hydride batteries common in today's hybrids.

Honda plans worldwide sales of 200,000 units for the new hybrid.

Separately, Honda CEO Takeo Fukui said the company is developing another hybrid model based on the CR-Z, a small, sporty hybrid also on display at the Tokyo show. He did not give a timeline for that car.

Ito said companies will increasingly test the market for hybrid sports cars because the cars allow for high torque and quick acceleration. But he predicted that it could take more than a decade for such a segment to become well-established.

Ito said the primary challenge is reducing the weight of the heavy battery, which is a drag on performance.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
New Honda Hybrid - to battle prius.

Honda Motor Co. is aiming for annual sales of 100,000 units in North America for its next-generation hybrid, a car priced under the Honda Civic Hybrid to go head-to-head with the Toyota Prius.

The car will hit the market in 2009 and be a dedicated hybrid with no gasoline version, Honda COO Takanobu Ito said at the Tokyo motor show.

It will seat four to five people and probably take styling cues from the wedge-shaped FCX fuel cell sedan that Honda is displaying at the show. The price will come in below the Honda Civic Hybrid and above the Honda Fit subcompact, Ito said.

He declined to say whether the new hybrid will use a lithium ion battery, which is still not used in production cars, or the nickel-metal hydride batteries common in today's hybrids.

Honda plans worldwide sales of 200,000 units for the new hybrid.

Separately, Honda CEO Takeo Fukui said the company is developing another hybrid model based on the CR-Z, a small, sporty hybrid also on display at the Tokyo show. He did not give a timeline for that car.

Ito said companies will increasingly test the market for hybrid sports cars because the cars allow for high torque and quick acceleration. But he predicted that it could take more than a decade for such a segment to become well-established.

Ito said the primary challenge is reducing the weight of the heavy battery, which is a drag on performance.
honda don't need a new hybrid to beat the Prius, the Honda Insight, way better than the prius.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
honda don't need a new hybrid to beat the Prius, the Honda Insight, way better than the prius.
Thats what I always ask!

Whatever happened to the freaking Insight? Honda never really updated the model, doesn't push it, its never advertised (in Canada) nor do I think it's ever sold anymore. Okay they were unattractive as the echo hatchback (I think they came out at the same time). But I've honestly only seen one in the past 5-6 years. The last time I really saw them was around 2001-2002.

The car is expensive (in Canada) it looks terrible, but so does the Prius. Why was the insight forgotten? That question literally keeps me up at night.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Thats what I always ask!

Whatever happened to the freaking Insight? Honda never really updated the model, doesn't push it, its never advertised (in Canada) nor do I think it's ever sold anymore. Okay they were unattractive as the echo hatchback (I think they came out at the same time). But I've honestly only seen one in the past 5-6 years. The last time I really saw them was around 2001-2002.

The car is expensive (in Canada) it looks terrible, but so does the Prius. Why was the insight forgotten? That question literally keeps me up at night.
it's like a Honda NSX and a Toyota Supra. everyone forgot about the Honda insight just like how they forgot about the NSX. everyone know about the Toyota pruis just like the supra because it's overrated, the insight and nsx are underrated and still better.
Everyone know that the supra is the fastest Toyota on the streets.
Everyone thought that the S2000 is the fastest Honda on the streets, but actually it's the NSX.

Honda Insight mpg est. 50-60 city, 50-60 hwy.
Toyota Pruis mpg est. 40-50 city, 40-50 hwy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
While this could be true, prius > insight in sales. The Prius out sells the Insight by an 8:1 ratio...

:eek:hsnap:

Also, there is a new insight. It came out sometime last year or this year I believe, they are still ugly as hell though lol!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The problem with the Insight is that (although cheaper) doesn't get as good mileage as the Prius and although it's better looking it does look like a previous gen Prius carbon copy (reminds me of how the Russian copied our NASA Space Shuttle and made the Buran). Honda needs to make (somewhat marginally useless) accessories like the solar powered air conditioner and hire a better marketing team.

From Toyota.com:
'10 Prius MPG highway/City= 51/48 (50 combined)
From Honda.com:
'10 Insight MPG Highway/City=40/43 (41 combined)
From CarsDirect.com:
'05 Insight MPG Highway/City=56/66

Check this out ('10 Insight vs. '10 Prius vs '98 Chevy GEO Metro:
2010 Honda Insight vs. 2010 Toyota Prius, 1998 Chevy Metro - Comparison Tests

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I was referring to the first gen Insight, and the MPG vs. the Prius MPG.

Not safety, practicality, or any of that of course.

And of course the 05 Insight is better than any production Prius so far if you just using the car for commuting and saving gas.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I was referring to the first gen Insight, and the MPG vs. the Prius MPG.

Not safety, practicality, or any of that of course.

And of course the 05 Insight is better than any production Prius so far if you just using the car for commuting and saving gas.
It's too bad Honda waited so long for a 2nd gen Hybrid specific model, the 1st gen Insight was hideous (same thing for the 1st gen Prius). But then Toyota released the 2nd gen -ugly but a little more palatable and the 3rd gen is less ugly. Unfortunately the Prius' appearance has become what you expect a hybrid car to look like (due to its popularity and Honda pulling a Hyundai move of copying it instead of the being more original).
At least we have the new Insight (too bad sales aren't spectacular) but an electric or hybrid coupe with some oomph could chip away at Toyota's hybrid reign.
When talking hybrids how come nobody mentions the discontinued Accord hybrids and the Civic? Is it solely because their mileage do not approach that of the Prius and Insight?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I agreed.

If Honda didn't wait so long for the 2nd Insight, the Prius probably wouldn't even be as popular as what it is today.
Their waiting so long screwed them (temporarily I hope) like GM realizing they can't put any bucket of bolts on the road and expect the American public to buy them up. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the 1st gen Insight was there first with better mileage, Why did Honda not redesign it faster? Seven years with that same style (we're anticipating a facelift for our Civics after four years).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I read an article about how all electric vehicles aren't cost effective because the batteries are expensive and the amount of time it takes to charge compared to the cruising range makes them less than desirable. If somebody would take a chance on all electric car technology to make it cheap & obtainable they could cultivate this product into the defacto standard of eletric cars (just like Toyota did with the Prius). Unfortunately those with short memories are hindering the demand for new cars that could be the catalyst to help get us out of our foreign oil addiction. Although gas isn't $4+/gal anymore but when it does Prius & Insight owners won't be caught with their pants down. And for performance drivers, something like the Tesla (watered down for the masses to minimize cost) would help sales.

I thought the GM EV1 was uly but the Honda EV+ looks like a throwback to the Civic dark ages! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts