8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between Honda Oil or other oils like Mobil, Royal Purple, etc???

What type of oil is Honda's? Full Syn? Blend? Regular?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Kanu said:
I agree 100% with altair4's response. As to oil filters, Honda dealers will install a "Honda" brand oil filter. Most of the Honda dealers in the U.S. and Canada use a Canadian made filter from a plant operated by FRAM and distributed under the "Honda" brand name. These filters are NOT identical in appearance to their FRAM-branded equivalents on sale at parts stores and mass merchandisers, but they do share similar construction. (You really have to hunt to find the much better made Japanese "Honda" filters anymore, though some dealers will order them for you.) There's nothing wrong with the Canadian "FRAM" Honda filters, but you can get better quality for much less $$$$$ with the "Purolator" brand equivalent. As to oil brand from Honda dealers, their parts departments stock and will sell you "Honda" brand motor oil in quart bottles. ExxonMobil is the actual blender and bottler of "Honda" motor oil. If you were to buy Mobil Clean 5000 or Exxon Superflow in 5W-20 viscosity, you'd be getting the same oil but in different quart bottles. (As it is, with Honda as the middleman, guess what that translates to in the final dealer pricing markup?...) That's not necessarily what dealers put into your car in the service bays, though. Most dealers of any size have bulk drums delivered by a jobber. It's metered out by pump to your car through a nozzle - cheaper for the dealer (not you), less mess, and no plastic bottles to contend with for proper environmental disposal. (Empty bulk drums are cleaned and refilled and the jobber handles the return at the time he delivers another full drum.) The oil inside the drum will be one of a number of name-brands, so is very good quality. (When a car dealer buys wholesale by the 40 gallon drum, the actual price per quart only works out to around 50 cents. You, of course, will be charged around $2.50/quart. Ask me what I think of car dealerships.) If you buy your own oil, as long as it states it meets API "SM" and ILSAC "GF-4", and is 5W-20 viscosity, you're good to go for warranty purposes regardless of brand or price paid. Just keep your receipts and a hand-written log if you do your own oil and filter changes. Given that 50% of your daily driving is city, I'd be more inclined to change oil and filter every 5,000 miles. (Forgive my freely admitted skepticism, but I'd find it a very novel experience, indeed, to be able to average 40 mph through city environs - legally, anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts