8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit 31k miles and i was def due for a tranny fluid flush ive been sitting around for a couple of months trying to decide which fluid to go with. I purchased 2 quarts of updated Honda mtf and flushed the tranny today with a fellow Si owner and freind. I instantly felt the difference in 3rd gear it goes in smooth every time now i was getting bad notchyness and lock outs since like 12k miles. It feels smoother in every gear now i was getting slight notchyness in reverse,1st,1st to 2cd its all gone now and the car just feels that much smoother as a whole. If any 1 is having the same issues put some new Honda stuff in before going after market i like it alot :dancing:

PS - I have an 06 so i doubt the updated fluid was in there when i bought it also the tranny was slighty overfilled when we flushed it i put 2 quarts but i let the excess drip out before putting the bolt back on less then 2 quarts is needed according the the Honda manual.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
itll come back, shouldve went with amsoil ftw, havent had a problem since.
I am sure it will i have a local Amsoil dealer near so its not a problem to get the fluid down the road when i need it i just like to stay oem when ever possible :thumb:

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
The updated MTF fluid felt better for a while at first... The Amsoil is the way to go next chance you get.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i actually had the same thing done, cept i got it done at 17k, im at 17.8, now, it was smooth for the first 2 week, than then it came back.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I felt no difference going from Amsoil to the Honda MTF. I do agree it's something you should do immediately after getting the car though.

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
big mistake. everyone who has gone with the updated stuff regrets wasting there doing so. should be back in a month or so.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I felt no difference going from Amsoil to the Honda MTF. I do agree it's something you should do immediately after getting the car though.
I'm sorry but I didn't get it ,did you have amsoil and went to OEM Honda mtf?
What made you make that decision?
I'm thinking of switching to Amsoil mtf and just curious.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I'm sorry but I didn't get it ,did you have amsoil and went to OEM Honda mtf?
What made you make that decision?
I'm thinking of switching to Amsoil mtf and just curious.
When I had bought the car, I swapped out whatever was pre-loaded in the tranny with Amsoil MTF. 2 oil changes later, I wasn't getting the same feedback as I was when I had first changed to Amsoil, so I wanted to swap the MTF again. I didn't want to order online and went to the local dealership and settled for the OEM Honda MTF. I would definitely go with Amsoil again, however I'm lazy when it comes to online ordering, shipping and what not. I'd much rather just drive 5 minutes, get the goods and leave. :thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I had bought the car, I swapped out whatever was pre-loaded in the tranny with Amsoil MTF. 2 oil changes later, I wasn't getting the same feedback as I was when I had first changed to Amsoil, so I wanted to swap the MTF again. I didn't want to order online and went to the local dealership and settled for the OEM Honda MTF. I would definitely go with Amsoil again, however I'm lazy when it comes to online ordering, shipping and what not. I'd much rather just drive 5 minutes, get the goods and leave. :thumb:
I get it :thumb:
I have a non si Civic and feel it's hard for me to easily shift from second to third ,have to pause before putting it to third so amsoil may just do the trick but never considered the new OEM MTF .

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I personally think a MTF change will greatly alleviate your issues. I found the differences to be much more noticeable when I had changed the MTF in my LX in comparison with my Si.

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
my 06 Si came with the "old" honda mtf. i had it changed to the "new" honda myf and had the same result as everyone else posted. the notchiness was minimal for around 2k mi or so, but eventually came back in full force. i have yet to swap it out for an after market fluid. not so sure i want to so i've just been dealing with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts