8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove the Civic coupe LX and saw the aux input jack. The jack looked like it just would play the MP3 through the speakers and the driver would not be able to control the MP3 player from the stereo. Does anyone know if I connect my Ipod will I be able to control the volume, select playlists, etc from the stereo?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I believe you are right. It's there to just connect to your audio system. From what I understand - the volume will work from the radio itself. Playlists will have to be done from the ipod. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
George Hamilton said:
I test drove the Civic coupe LX and saw the aux input jack. The jack looked like it just would play the MP3 through the speakers and the driver would not be able to control the MP3 player from the stereo. Does anyone know if I connect my Ipod will I be able to control the volume, select playlists, etc from the stereo?
I have the new Civic, and what the AUX jack does now is that it allows for you to play your MP3 player through the stereo. It doesn't allow for any control of the device right now.

HOWEVER, in December, your Honda dealer will have an auxiliary iPod adaptor that will allow you to control your iPod through the nav system / stereo. That will allow you to the flip through playlists, etc just like you would with the Audio Card on the Nav system currently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this adapter just connects to the current port? Do you need navigation to access have full control or will the basic stereo work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
George Hamilton said:
So this adapter just connects to the current port? Do you need navigation to access have full control or will the basic stereo work?

Thanks.
From what I understand, the adapter will allow the iPod to be connected via a new port in the glovebox. I don't know whether or not the Navi is a requirement....anyone else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
George Hamilton said:

Thanks.
This is the official release from Honda of North America about the iPod link:

Honda Press Release
Honda and Apple Offer iPod Music Link Accessory

TORRANCE September 7, 2005 --

American Honda announced today its new Honda Music Link iPod(R) adaptor in conjunction with Apple. This Genuine Honda accessory was developed to enable Honda drivers to utilize their iPod directly through the audio system in the all-new, redesigned, 2006 Honda Civic.

Honda Music Link enables consumers with iPods to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the Honda Civic's standard controls on the audio system head unit. In addition, this system is the first of its kind to offer synthesized audio voice feedback when searching through the iPod music library with the vehicle's audio system controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link accessory to our Honda consumers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Honda Accessory Marketing. "The new 2006 Civic features the newest in many technologies, which are further expanded through the addition of the Music Link iPod system.

The Honda Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment. The adapter will be available starting this December exclusively for purchase and installation at Honda dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Honda Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation. Honda Music link is backed by a full Honda factory warranty. Consumers should check with Honda dealers for specific restrictions.

Apple's iPod units are available in the U.S. through the Apple Store(R) at www.apple.com and at selected retailers.

# # #

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
damn, I have a Creative Zen Micro MP3 player..

I've been having problems with it though.. it seems to only play music on the right speakers. I made sure all my connections were in good. If I wiggle the wire, I can get it to play in full stereo - Maybe one of the sales people tried sticking in a bigger plug into the jack and damaged it - the 1/8 mini stereo plug doesn't fit in there snug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have connected my Ipod Nano to the Aux input using a mini-stero out of the headphone jack of the nano to a mini-stero into the aux- it sounds like crap- no vocals and just realy terrible. Am I missing something? I'd rather not fork out the cash for the glove-box adapter.

·
Registered
245 Posts
unplugged said:
damn, I have a Creative Zen Micro MP3 player..

I've been having problems with it though.. it seems to only play music on the right speakers. I made sure all my connections were in good. If I wiggle the wire, I can get it to play in full stereo - Maybe one of the sales people tried sticking in a bigger plug into the jack and damaged it - the 1/8 mini stereo plug doesn't fit in there snug.
I'm thinking that may be the problem. There should be no reason why you have to "jiggle" the cord to get stereo sound. Check your connector to see if it's worn and also be sure that you are pushing the connector all the way into the aux jack.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i lost stereo on occasion - i think the jack was messed up because it happens on anything i plug into it- i even bought a new cable to plug into it. I might order a new jack from honda - if its not too much. or rig one up myself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you choose to get the dealer installed Honda Music Link in your glove box, get ready to shell out around 750.00 (at least that was what I was quoted). This includes the equipment and the cost of labor.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I have to do some research on the Music Link, I might consider buying it since I get 40% off at my Honda dealership I used to work at.

·
Registered
374 Posts
aux in

If you are getting ghosty/empty sounding audio when you use the aux input, try a new cable and ensure you have pushed everything in all the way in..when stuff isn't pushed-in all the way, the lefts and rights cancel one another out, so it will be out of phase.. and thus "airy" sounding. And yes.. it's quite possible the aux input jack itself has become loose from use or just poor manufacture.

The AUX-in I have in my 06 LX Canadian coupe sounds really good with a nano.. I just tested it now. Using the AUX IN, there is , indeed, no way to "Control" the Ipod from anything but the Ipod itself.

The sound in the factory system is pretty frikkin good for a factory deck in my opinion.. ok ok it COULD be a little tighter and less boomy in the bass department, and could have a little sweeter treble. My bass setting spends most of its time at -3 or -4.

This aux input could be used with anything like a non-ipod music device, sony walkman, tape player.. portable DVD player, gaming system etc... I know I'll use mine with my buddies on long trips who carry their ipods/Creative lab Zen unit with them.

Don't spend a wad on a cable.. any dollar store will have a 1/8" to 1/8" "mini" cable for $1.. don't buy into that 'gold plated' nonsense stuff either.... please. :/

·
Registered
796 Posts
Another possibility I notice is if you have your car charger hooked up w/ the aux input. I was having issues after I hardwired my Ipod to my car. After playing around with I noticed it was a loose connection between the civics cigarette charger and my ipod charger adapter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove this piece and replace it? My GF has the small nipple detach from the cable when she pulled it out and its stuck in there now. Honda wants 150 to replace it. Any way to pop it out and replace it easily?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You can always take it out and try to replace it with a 3.5mm TRS jack from Parts Express or Mouser Electronics. It won't be as easy as snapping the old one off and snapping the new jack in. You will have to do some splicing.

If you can get the part number for the Honda jack, it may be snap in snap off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Does is just come out or snap off/snap in? I'm not trying to replace it with something non-honda. I just need to replace the Honda piece. I have the part number but can't get a good schematic to see if it'll just snap out/snap in.

Part #39624SZ3L01

1 - 20 of 20 Posts