8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states Honda is tearing apart my transmission. I have an 07 Si which I bought new in May and at around 7,500 miles the transmission started making a light high pitched gear whirr sound in 4th. now at 13,000 miles the sound is getting pretty loud and really annoying so I brought it in this morning. They said it's something internal to the transmission (duh) and they have to pull it out, see what's wrong, and repair.

I'll be out of my car for about a week, in the mean time I got an 06 V6 Accord with Navi to drive. Not bad, but I like my Si a LOT more.

Just figured I'd post this in case someone has a similar problem in the futue.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i went to my honda dealership for the infamous 3rd gear problem and the tech said that he already had swapped out the whole transmission for the problem u just described. Not to sure what gear but he just said it would make a whininning sound during acceleration.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
volvo9 said:
As the title states Honda is tearing apart my transmission. I have an 07 Si which I bought new in May and at around 7,500 miles the transmission started making a light high pitched gear whirr sound in 4th. now at 13,000 miles the sound is getting pretty loud and really annoying so I brought it in this morning. They said it's something internal to the transmission (duh) and they have to pull it out, see what's wrong, and repair.

I'll be out of my car for about a week, in the mean time I got an 06 V6 Accord with Navi to drive. Not bad, but I like my Si a LOT more.

Just figured I'd post this in case someone has a similar problem in the futue.

Same thing as I posted a little earler http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63367

Mine will be done in a couple days. there replacing the whole LCD section and all the bearings. If you want PM me and I can tell you what dealer and car so your dealer can follow up with honda tech and tell them about mine.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dobiejoe said:
Same thing as I posted a little earler http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63367

Mine will be done in a couple days. there replacing the whole LCD section and all the bearings. If you want PM me and I can tell you what dealer and car so your dealer can follow up with honda tech and tell them about mine.

Oh god that's a lot of Civic parts!

I'm getting a call onmonday or tuesday saying what they're replacing. I'm not sure if it's the LSD since my noise only happens in 4th. While searching I'm starting to see a collection of complaints regarding this whine noise. Possible manufacturing defect? Let me know how your repair goes I you see this thread again. I'm a little worried since the trans is not getting replaced and is being rebuilt, I just hope it goes back together properly.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
volvo9 said:
Oh god that's a lot of Civic parts!

I'm getting a call onmonday or tuesday saying what they're replacing. I'm not sure if it's the LSD since my noise only happens in 4th. While searching I'm starting to see a collection of complaints regarding this whine noise. Possible manufacturing defect? Let me know how your repair goes I you see this thread again. I'm a little worried since the trans is not getting replaced and is being rebuilt, I just hope it goes back together properly.

Its really only about 6 parts. But yes I am also very worried that the tech will screw things up and not get it back together properly

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my car back last night. They replaced 3rd and 4th gear along with the synchros and shift fork. I left the RO at home so I'll write down exactly what was done if I think of it later on, I might have left something out.

The transmission is quiet again but I forgot what my car feelt like since I've been driving a silent, cushy accord for the week. When I drove away from the dealer I thought something was wrong with the engine and exhaust till I remembered the car was just that loud, haha.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
sorry for bumping an old thread, but i have the exact same problem. glad to see your dealer fixed it.

is your dealer usually nice, or did you have to ***** significantly to get them to do this?
do you have any mods?
is there anything specific i should say when i bring my car in?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for bumping an old thread, but i have the exact same problem. glad to see your dealer fixed it.

is your dealer usually nice, or did you have to ***** significantly to get them to do this?
do you have any mods?
is there anything specific i should say when i bring my car in?
My dealer was nice and they fixed it after my first visit (I waited for it to get loud though).

Car was bone stock, except for radio, and driven gently.

I't just tell them that you are hearing a whining noise, explain to them how to replicate the problem and see what they say. After they fixed it I had to go on a ride with the tech to describe another noise which they had caused. They broke the transmission mount and left a rubber boot off on the steering which caused a lot of engine noise to enter the car.

The dealer was nice when the problem was obvious. After it was fixed it only made noise when accelerating and they said it was fine, although it wasn't as loud as before it still wasn't normal. My friend bought his Si a few weeks after me and his didn't make noise.

I put miles on my cars very fast so I decided to get rid of it after they started giving me **** saying it was fine. I didn't want to run up the mileage too far as I only lost $2200 trading it in after I put 15k miles on it. So unfortunately I can't tell you how the car is doing now.

good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts