8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a new Honda Civic Hybrid. The dealer is excellent, very happy with them. Very upfront and fair with their policies and prices. They have 5 different add ons you can buy for your car. They were very forthright in telling me about them and did not get pushy about my buying any of them.

1. Extended Warranty 7 years, 100000 miles, on top of the Honda 3 year 36000 mile warranty and the extended 10 year warranty on the Hybrid's battery.

2. Road Hazard Protection for the tires,in case you run over a nail etc.

3. Simonizing ---Telfon coating for car exterior and fabric protection for interior

4. Ding Shield---minor ding repair service, for small dents and dings that won't reach the amount of a car insurance deductible. Over 5 years, you can have dents/dings in 7 panels of the car repaired. Panels means hood, roof, doors, etc.

5. Lojack

I am not interested in the 7 year/ 100000 mile thing. This will the third Honda I've owned. And about the 12th that my family has owned. Hondas don't need this kind of warranty, because they simply don't break down that much.

Also not interested in the Tire Road Hazard protection. I've owned my own cars for 17 years, and in those 17 years, I think I've had two tires on two cars have tire damage from something in the road

The other three I am thinking about. Especially the LOjack, which I will likely buy. A police officer friend tells me that Lo-Jack is realy the only anti-theft product that's worth it.I have Amica for car insurance, and they offer discounted premiums for anti auto theft devices. Waiting to talk to Amica about the Lojack.

This leaves me with the Simonizing and the Ding Shield. Anyone know much about these? Are they worth it? The Ding Shield I am thinking about more because my cars tend to be ding magnets. Every oaf who can't control his shopping cart or her car door seems to gravitate to any car I own. The Simonizing I am less sure of,apparently it's easy to do on your own.

The dealer quoted me a 1650 dollar price for all three--they cost 1881 normally

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd pass on all of them. I don't see the hybrid as a high theft vehicle but I could be wrong. The only value in getting them from the dealer is folding into the financing if that's important to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only thing that might be worth it is the Lojack. As for the exterior paint and interior fabric protection, just wash your car frequently. Get a quick detailer spray for spot cleaning the exterior (for bird crap and the like). Also I'd recommend waxing your car at least 2 times a year. I know most of you probably wax it every week..lol. For the inside, get a can of Scotchguard at Target for $3.99. That should be more than enough to cover your seats. Hope this helps.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
see, and I'd be the one looking at the warranty. I've read so many conflicting reports on the hybrid battery replacement. If you plan on keeping the car over 5 years, I'd probably think about that. I've read some reports saying it's anywhere from $4-7k for battery replacement, installation, and disposal of your old battery. That is the only thing I might be worried about. The etching or lojack would help on your insurance costs though - so those can make sense.

If you get a lot of dings, - eh it might be ok to get the ding thing. Cause we all know most place charge like 60-80 bucks to pull a small ding. To be honest, 1600 for all of those items really doesn't sound THAT bad. The one that I would probably be least intersted in would be the simonizing. But - that is just my take.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We seriously considered the fabric protection since you not can get leather in the Civic. However this service is available from the aftermarket for much less. Try calling around and see what other shops charge for the service.

Concerning the extended warranty, we did not get one because it is a Honda Civic, however it is the first year of a completely new model. There are and will be bugs. I would consider the warranty for a hybrid. It is my understanding that the battery is covered for 5 years with a tapered replacement from Honda after that, 90% at 6 years, 70% at 7 years. Something like that. You can get the warranty later, it will likely be offered to you again once the factory warranty has expired.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dealerships are only concerned about one thing and your car's welfare is not it. They want profit period. Anything they can make you buy in terms of add ons ups their profit margin and the salesperson's commission. I'm sure you can talk to your parents about the days when dealerships sold "rust proofing" protection. Chances are most people don't keep their cars past 4 or 5 years.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
GhostOp said:
Dealerships are only concerned about one thing and your car's welfare is not it. They want profit period. Anything they can make you buy in terms of add ons ups their profit margin and the salesperson's commission. I'm sure you can talk to your parents about the days when dealerships sold "rust proofing" protection. Chances are most people don't keep their cars past 4 or 5 years.
which is why I asked how long they planned on keeping the car. I think that should be a major factor in the decision.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
OblivionJin said:
I got the extended warranty, just cuz its a new gen. Sorry to sound stupid, but what does the window etching do?
Honda puts the numbers etched on the glass into a data base in case your car is stolen and the glass can be traced if it ever turned up at or chop shop or somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ended up getting the Lojack, and the Ding Shield. Haven't needed the Lojack yet, but am glad I got the Ding Shield. I was driving home from work the other night, and there was an agressive fool out driving that night, too. Weaving in and out of traffic, cutting folks off left and right. Cut in front of the person in front of me in the right lane. They swung into the left, cutting me off. I swerved ever so slightly into the left shoulder so as not to ram into the back of the person. There was something in the road, cause I heard a scraping sound, and now there's a long scratch along my car's left rocker panel. Looks as if the panel was coated in a plastic type material, the way the bumpers are. That's peeled off. I have to cal the Ding Shield people to see about it

·
Registered
109 Posts
anyways.. i ended up getting the extended warrenty.. 6 years 120k miles.. Bumber to bumber is GOOD!!... I plan on keepin the car till its totally run into the ground... if not.. its good selling point If i decied to sell the car.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
I believe you can actually extend the warrenty when it runs out (at 3/60) anyways. I don't think anyone should fall into pressure and buy what the dealer wants. Drive the car, if it has a lot of repairs in that period, then buy the extension.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I got 10 year/100000 mile, free car wash for life, mantainance for 1 year, and a 20% off gascard at any exxon mobil... FOR FREE!!!! Its an incentive that most bigger dealers have to get you to buy from them... However this is the same dealer that has a markup but atleast I didnt have to wait for the car..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts