8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks.

I know plenty of DIY'ers do the fuel induction (AKA fuel injector cleaning) process by running Seafoam through a vacuum line or other area, or injecting it in the tank with fuel, etc, but I'm unfamiliar if this process is followed on the 8th gen Civic or not. My engine is R18.

Does anyone who has actual dealership experience in the service department know what the dealer themselves do for the $99 fuel induction service? At my recent oil change, my dealer recommended the service as I just reached 30,000 miles. I'm wondering if I can turn it into a DIY project. I guess I could have just asked them what they do but hey, I didn't and here I am.

Thanks ahead for any replies

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have never heard of Honda recommended injector cleaning. They frequently recommend against putting chemicals in the car.

Specialty shops will remove the injectors and hook them up to a special machine and run chemicals through them. I don't think this is something that could be a DIY.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I work at an Acura Dealer and we use Pro Tec brand.. The service includes a fuel additive that you dump into the tank, a TB Cleaner which we obviously use to clean the throttle body as well as a treatment we run into the intake manifold which cleans up carbon deposits… It actually works very well but at 30k it is not necessary… I could see doing it at 60k then possible when you do your spark plugs at 105k again….

·
Registered
502 Posts
I work at an Acura Dealer and we use Pro Tec brand.. The service includes a fuel additive that you dump into the tank, a TB Cleaner which we obviously use to clean the throttle body as well as a treatment we run into the intake manifold which cleans up carbon deposits… It actually works very well but at 30k it is not necessary… I could see doing it at 60k then possible when you do your spark plugs at 105k again….
:thumb: I agree. The fuel induction service works very well. I personally do it every 30k since im doing my own labor. Try it for yourself and see how it drives after and you tell me. Seafoam is an awesome product. I've been using seafoam since i left the honda dealer in 2005. Just add half to the gas tank and half thru the booster vacuum line. Make sure you restrict the amount of seafoam going thru the vacuum line as it will throw a cel if you add to much at a time. Good luck and keep us updated as to weather or not you felt a difference.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
There are many high mileage vehicles, often with neglected basic maintenance or poor driving habits like never reaching operating temperature and constant low rpm operation, that can benefit from induction cleaning. A well maintained vehicle with 30k miles of average driving using name brand gas should see zero benefit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope that you can help me. I have a Honda Civic 2009 1.8 L A/T with 106,000 miles and i want to do the fuel induction service but i dont know if i should do it through the brake booster vacuum line in the intake manifold ):

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could probably do it yourself. For some reason it is a little difficult to find info about what is done during a "fuel induction service". I wonder why they don't still just call it a "fuel injector cleaning"? Maybe cause "induction" sounds fancier.

If you take it to a dealer, they will likely do exactly NOTHING to the car and then charge the $100 anyways.
At best they might dump some snake oil in the gas tank. As far as disconnecting anything, they ain't gonna do all that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts