8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Normal?

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Ok so this is going to be quite a long story, but basically in short I have a 2007 Honda Civic SI Coupe (FG2) and my engine seems to be making a ticking/clicking noise which I am unsure if its natural or normal at all. I will link a video to this tread for whom ever wants to hear. So to start off, I know threads like this already exist and people say the K20 engine is quite loud and the injectors are loud and all that. So I suppose its entirely possible that its just that. Could be nothing to worry about. I'm almost certain its not rod knock or any thing catastrophic, but hear me out. If you want to skip the long story bellow I'll leave a brief overview on the last paragraph or just listen to the video and tell me what you think!

** I don't want to leave anything out because a lot has been done maintenance wise to the car sense I got it and any of theses things could be the cause of ticking noise that I'm hearing. I figured some of this could be important. I'm assuming its the valves but I'm unsure!

*FULL VERSION
I got this car april 2019. This is the first car I've purchased my self at 19 years old. Super clean overall, about 135k miles when I bought it 144k now. I got it from a older dude that seemed really chill the only mod on the car is a K&N Typhoon intake otherwise 100% stock. I believe I am the 3rd owner. Nothing wrong with the car just typical wear for a 2007 car. Like most Honda Civics though it ran great and the engine sounded great and everything. Drove it for a few months and decided to do some little simple maintenance things that never seemed to be done on the car. I noticed the belt made a bit of noise so all around the same time I replaced the Idle pulley the tensioner and the belt itself and a new PCV valve and then I decided to look into the valve cover and see how the engine looked on the inside and I figured I'd buy some feeler gauges to check the valves see how that's all doing. I took shop class in Highschool so I've done these jobs before on older engines so I somewhat knew what I was doing, but not like I'm ASE certified although I did get my ASE student certification. So I'm not exactly a SUPER stupid kid not knowing what he's doing. Maybe just a little stupid;). Anyway everything went great, inside the engine looked all good and everything. Then checking the valves they seemed all a bit tight. I used a 0.09 for intake and 0.12 for exhaust. Nothing would fit. So I was like ok I bet these valves never have been adjusted before might as well do it. Spent a couple hours adjusting the valves seemed to all be quite good so I put it all back together and started it up. It seemed to be a bit smoother and ran good and then I decided to listen to the engine see if it sounded normal or not. Then I very slightly noticed this tick noise. This is the first time I ever noticed it is right here when I decided to really stop and listen to the engine after my valve adjustment. After that I was like GREAT I must've messed up adjusting it. I believe I drove it a few days till I had time to re-adjust them. It wasn't too loud of a noise or anything, but it was definitely noticeable at idle and everything. So I went back in and adjusted them best I could and then I wanna say it got quieter after I was done, but not gone at all. So I pretty much just lived with it for a while, but every time I heard it I was like crap I better fix that and it made me sort of uncomfortable driving the car. I finally tried one more time to fix it and do the valves correctly. I did the valves a little bit on the tighter side where the feeler gauge had a lot of drag to it instead of a little bit of drag. Then after putting it back together the ticking sound of course was still there maybe slightly quieter but at this point I couldn't tell.

This is where the story gets more interesting. SO. I decided to finally buy a valve adjustment tool to make the process go smoother and I also got NGK spark plugs to put in the car. I was like OK this is the last time that I'm going into this engine and I am doing this 100% correctly. Then I started getting at it, and it all went smooth about 2 cylinders of adjusting in and it started raining out of nowhere! Yes I was doing this outside. So I was like crap abort mission so I covered it all up put two towels over the valve cover(which was a mistake apparently) and I even put a car cover over the car. I put everything away and then I was going to come back to it ASAP. This was in December in Washington State FYI. So before I could get to work on the car it started snowing. Like a lot. So I was like greattttt. I figured it all be fine because it was like triple covered. About 2 weeks later finally once we had a somewhat nice day I decided I'd bring it into the garage to finally finish it. I lifted the hood and took off the unfortunately soaked towels and my camshafts were covered in rust XD. I was pretty upset after that I kinda figured I ruined my engine. I started googling what to do and all that and I ended up using brake cleaner and WD-40 with a Scotch Brite pad to clean off the cams. Everything else wasn't really rusty except a little on the timing chain. It took a while, but it ended up cleaning up alright. It was mostly surface rust. It still was really sucky though and I felt like an idiot. After I cleaned it all up I of course decided to finish the valve adjustment using the valve adjustment tool. Then on the 4th Cylinder I was torquing everything down and the last nut decided to fully strip :D. This happened after I just cleaned my rusted out engine so I was pretty upset. Turns out you have to replace the entire rocker arm to fix it! I decided I was done working on the hunk of junk and called up a shop. Its a Honda and Acura independent shop so they seemed to know what they were doing and had super great ratings. After another week or so I towed it over to the shop and they replaced the rocker arm and fully adjusted the valves and we also replaced the timing chain and tensioner. Also they said the little bit rust left on the cams is fine and with full synthetic oil it should be fine and come off.

Now this is where I start to get a little mad and confused. My car should be 100% good to go and the valves professionally adjusted! Everything fixed new timing chain! The guys at the shop seemed really awesome and seemed like they knew what they were doing with cars and were all car guys. As far as I can tell they did a great job. Now guess whats still there! THE TICKING NOISE! So now I'm like ok wtf. If anything the noise is now louder! Now I'm thinking they didn't do the valves right or something or maybe I'm going crazy or something? So a few days later I take it back to them and I ask them if this ticking sound is normal and they swear it sounds good the valves were definitely adjusted right and it sounds like a regular K20. So then I'm ok sweet maybe it's just me going crazy or maybe I just never noticed the noise before I adjusted the valves the first time. Now anytime I go into a parking garage or in between 2 cars or any where with an echoy spot like a drive threw window I hear this ticking noise. I really really really feel like I would've noticed this noise before when I first got the car. Like sometimes if its quite enough outside I can hear the noise in the driver seat with the windows up. I've been hearing it consistently ever sense I adjusted the valves my self for the first time! I felt there was no way this was a normal sound so I yet again took it back to them and they were like nope pretty normal they all sound like that. The technician told me to maybe try higher weight oil. So now I was just like wtf maybe this IS normal maybe I am just loosing my mind!? Maybe I unnecessarily adjusted my valves like 5 times for no reason! They had multiple people look at it and say its just the injectors or normal sound. Then I got to thinking I have used Sea Foam and Royal Purple injector cleaner like twice during the time I've had the car maybe it cleaned the injectors really well and made them louder? Or maybe somehow its the new PCV valve or something weird? IDK. I decided to change the oil to AMSOIL signature series 5W30 to see if it would help because I know its like one of the best oils to get if not THE best. It did seem to help slightly but there definitely still was a tick noise. I ended up taking it to a actual Honda dealership to see what the thought and they also said it was normal. So now I'm basically trying to figure out if I'm just crazy or if someone out there thinks this ticking noise is 100% not normal or bad. So please help if anyone might know what this ticking noise would be or if its actually normal or not. I never ever noticed it until the first time I adjusted the valves like I said. I'm usually super sensitive to engine noises and sounds I'm not sure how the heck I never would've noticed it when I first got the car. So what do you guys think? and thanks for reading this little rant/story of mine lol.

*SHORT VERSION
So my car makes this weird ticking noise that I am not sure if its normal or not. The first time I noticed this ticking noise was after I adjusted the valves my self. So it would make sense that the valves is the cause of this issue, but I have adjusted the valves multiple times and even had it taken to a shop and the noise is still here. So unless I just simply never noticed the noise somehow when I first got the car then I have no idea what this could be! I have done somethings to the car including new idle pulley tensioner pulley and belt it self, new PCV valve new spark plugs and adjusted the valves. I know some people say it could be the injectors and I have used Sea Foam and Royal Purple injector cleaner before so maybe those products made the injectors louder?? Other wise I'm not sure what this could be! This ticking noise does not sound natural to me and I feel like there is no way I wouldn't have noticed it before! I could be wrong tho I'm really not sure so what do you guys think?!

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic si Taffeta White
37 Posts
**Ok so this is going to be quite a long story, but basically in short I have a 2007 Honda Civic SI Coupe (FG2) and my engine seems to be making a ticking/clicking noise which I am unsure if its natural or normal at all. I will link a video to this tread for whom ever wants to hear. So to start off, I know threads like this already exist and people say the K20 engine is quite loud and the injectors are loud and all that. So I suppose its entirely possible that its just that. Could be nothing to worry about. I'm almost certain its not rod knock or any thing catastrophic, but hear me out. If you want to skip the long story bellow I'll leave a brief overview on the last paragraph or just listen to the video and tell me what you think!

** I don't want to leave anything out because a lot has been done maintenance wise to the car sense I got it and any of theses things could be the cause of ticking noise that I'm hearing. I figured some of this could be important. I'm assuming its the valves but I'm unsure!

*FULL VERSION
I got this car april 2019. This is the first car I've purchased my self at 19 years old. Super clean overall, about 135k miles when I bought it 144k now. I got it from a older dude that seemed really chill the only mod on the car is a K&N Typhoon intake otherwise 100% stock. I believe I am the 3rd owner. Nothing wrong with the car just typical wear for a 2007 car. Like most Honda Civics though it ran great and the engine sounded great and everything. Drove it for a few months and decided to do some little simple maintenance things that never seemed to be done on the car. I noticed the belt made a bit of noise so all around the same time I replaced the Idle pulley the tensioner and the belt itself and a new PCV valve and then I decided to look into the valve cover and see how the engine looked on the inside and I figured I'd buy some feeler gauges to check the valves see how that's all doing. I took shop class in Highschool so I've done these jobs before on older engines so I somewhat knew what I was doing, but not like I'm ASE certified although I did get my ASE student certification. So I'm not exactly a SUPER stupid kid not knowing what he's doing. Maybe just a little stupid;). Anyway everything went great, inside the engine looked all good and everything. Then checking the valves they seemed all a bit tight. I used a 0.09 for intake and 0.12 for exhaust. Nothing would fit. So I was like ok I bet these valves never have been adjusted before might as well do it. Spent a couple hours adjusting the valves seemed to all be quite good so I put it all back together and started it up. It seemed to be a bit smoother and ran good and then I decided to listen to the engine see if it sounded normal or not. Then I very slightly noticed this tick noise. This is the first time I ever noticed it is right here when I decided to really stop and listen to the engine after my valve adjustment. After that I was like GREAT I must've messed up adjusting it. I believe I drove it a few days till I had time to re-adjust them. It wasn't too loud of a noise or anything, but it was definitely noticeable at idle and everything. So I went back in and adjusted them best I could and then I wanna say it got quieter after I was done, but not gone at all. So I pretty much just lived with it for a while, but every time I heard it I was like crap I better fix that and it made me sort of uncomfortable driving the car. I finally tried one more time to fix it and do the valves correctly. I did the valves a little bit on the tighter side where the feeler gauge had a lot of drag to it instead of a little bit of drag. Then after putting it back together the ticking sound of course was still there maybe slightly quieter but at this point I couldn't tell.

This is where the story gets more interesting. SO. I decided to finally buy a valve adjustment tool to make the process go smoother and I also got NGK spark plugs to put in the car. I was like OK this is the last time that I'm going into this engine and I am doing this 100% correctly. Then I started getting at it, and it all went smooth about 2 cylinders of adjusting in and it started raining out of nowhere! Yes I was doing this outside. So I was like crap abort mission so I covered it all up put two towels over the valve cover(which was a mistake apparently) and I even put a car cover over the car. I put everything away and then I was going to come back to it ASAP. This was in December in Washington State FYI. So before I could get to work on the car it started snowing. Like a lot. So I was like greattttt. I figured it all be fine because it was like triple covered. About 2 weeks later finally once we had a somewhat nice day I decided I'd bring it into the garage to finally finish it. I lifted the hood and took off the unfortunately soaked towels and my camshafts were covered in rust XD. I was pretty upset after that I kinda figured I ruined my engine. I started googling what to do and all that and I ended up using brake cleaner and WD-40 with a Scotch Brite pad to clean off the cams. Everything else wasn't really rusty except a little on the timing chain. It took a while, but it ended up cleaning up alright. It was mostly surface rust. It still was really sucky though and I felt like an idiot. After I cleaned it all up I of course decided to finish the valve adjustment using the valve adjustment tool. Then on the 4th Cylinder I was torquing everything down and the last nut decided to fully strip :D. This happened after I just cleaned my rusted out engine so I was pretty upset. Turns out you have to replace the entire rocker arm to fix it! I decided I was done working on the hunk of junk and called up a shop. Its a Honda and Acura independent shop so they seemed to know what they were doing and had super great ratings. After another week or so I towed it over to the shop and they replaced the rocker arm and fully adjusted the valves and we also replaced the timing chain and tensioner. Also they said the little bit rust left on the cams is fine and with full synthetic oil it should be fine and come off.

Now this is where I start to get a little mad and confused. My car should be 100% good to go and the valves professionally adjusted! Everything fixed new timing chain! The guys at the shop seemed really awesome and seemed like they knew what they were doing with cars and were all car guys. As far as I can tell they did a great job. Now guess whats still there! THE TICKING NOISE! So now I'm like ok wtf. If anything the noise is now louder! Now I'm thinking they didn't do the valves right or something or maybe I'm going crazy or something? So a few days later I take it back to them and I ask them if this ticking sound is normal and they swear it sounds good the valves were definitely adjusted right and it sounds like a regular K20. So then I'm ok sweet maybe it's just me going crazy or maybe I just never noticed the noise before I adjusted the valves the first time. Now anytime I go into a parking garage or in between 2 cars or any where with an echoy spot like a drive threw window I hear this ticking noise. I really really really feel like I would've noticed this noise before when I first got the car. Like sometimes if its quite enough outside I can hear the noise in the driver seat with the windows up. I've been hearing it consistently ever sense I adjusted the valves my self for the first time! I felt there was no way this was a normal sound so I yet again took it back to them and they were like nope pretty normal they all sound like that. The technician told me to maybe try higher weight oil. So now I was just like wtf maybe this IS normal maybe I am just loosing my mind!? Maybe I unnecessarily adjusted my valves like 5 times for no reason! They had multiple people look at it and say its just the injectors or normal sound. Then I got to thinking I have used Sea Foam and Royal Purple injector cleaner like twice during the time I've had the car maybe it cleaned the injectors really well and made them louder? Or maybe somehow its the new PCV valve or something weird? IDK. I decided to change the oil to AMSOIL signature series 5W30 to see if it would help because I know its like one of the best oils to get if not THE best. It did seem to help slightly but there definitely still was a tick noise. I ended up taking it to a actual Honda dealership to see what the thought and they also said it was normal. So now I'm basically trying to figure out if I'm just crazy or if someone out there thinks this ticking noise is 100% not normal or bad. So please help if anyone might know what this ticking noise would be or if its actually normal or not. I never ever noticed it until the first time I adjusted the valves like I said. I'm usually super sensitive to engine noises and sounds I'm not sure how the heck I never would've noticed it when I first got the car. So what do you guys think? and thanks for reading this little rant/story of mine lol.

*SHORT VERSION
So my car makes this weird ticking noise that I am not sure if its normal or not. The first time I noticed this ticking noise was after I adjusted the valves my self. So it would make sense that the valves is the cause of this issue, but I have adjusted the valves multiple times and even had it taken to a shop and the noise is still here. So unless I just simply never noticed the noise somehow when I first got the car then I have no idea what this could be! I have done somethings to the car including new idle pulley tensioner pulley and belt it self, new PCV valve new spark plugs and adjusted the valves. I know some people say it could be the injectors and I have used Sea Foam and Royal Purple injector cleaner before so maybe those products made the injectors louder?? Other wise I'm not sure what this could be! This ticking noise does not sound natural to me and I feel like there is no way I wouldn't have noticed it before! I could be wrong tho I'm really not sure so what do you guys think?!
8th gen civic si’s have loud valves, you will notice over time more and more sounds that we’re there from the beginning but never noticed. It’s normal and fine. If the valves are in spec according to service manual, you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8th gen civic si’s have loud valves, you will notice over time more and more sounds that we’re there from the beginning but never noticed. It’s normal and fine. If the valves are in spec according to service manual, you’ll be fine.
Thats kinda what I've been thinking also at this point. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Valve sound here’s my valve, 103k miles, no adjustment yet, this is still within spec, put on headphones and sit in driver seat, have your car off and open door, then turn on yours (operating temp, fully warmed up) and it sound be identical minus the exhaust, the ticking should penetrate through the exhaust sound, and when you rev it up the ticking grows louder and the metallic sound you hear is the air rushing thru the catalytic converter/exhaust tubing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valve sound here’s my valve, 103k miles, no adjustment yet, this is still within spec, put on headphones and sit in driver seat, have your car off and open door, then turn on yours (operating temp, fully warmed up) and it sound be identical minus the exhaust, the ticking should penetrate through the exhaust sound, and when you rev it up the ticking grows louder and the metallic sound you hear is the air rushing thru the catalytic converter/exhaust tubing.
Yea it definitely sounds similar. I ended up taking my car to a shop for the valve adjustment and stuff. They seemed pretty reputable and all that, they were Honda and Acura specific so hopefully they did my valves correctly. Other wise I feel like they definitely seem a little loud on my car even compared to yours, but it could just be the video audio because they do sound super similar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
iPhone 11, so my mic is definitely more sensitive to bass but your car sounds just fine, if you slow your video down listen for any different sound, as in 3 clicks sounds the same but one is significantly louder or a different note but you have uniform ticking. don’t over rev the engine on a mishift, you’ll bend a valve. Or cause float valve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iPhone 11, so my mic is definitely more sensitive to bass but your car sounds just fine, if you slow your video down listen for any different sound, as in 3 clicks sounds the same but one is significantly louder or a different note but you have uniform ticking. don’t over rev the engine on a mishift, you’ll bend a valve. Or cause float valve
Yea it sounds fine just weirdly louder then I'd expect. Do you have a louder exhaust? Sounds like that might be drowning it out more then mine possibly too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it sounds fine just weirdly louder then I'd expect. Do you have a louder exhaust? Sounds like that might be drowning it out more then mine possibly too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sounds normal especially if running in a garage. if it ever is accompanied with a whine/squeak, replace the bearings in each of the belt wheels. one of mine was making a whine, then ceased, causing the engine to stop. luckily nothing was damaged other than the bearing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds normal especially if running in a garage. if it ever is accompanied with a whine/squeak, replace the bearings in each of the belt wheels. one of mine was making a whine, then ceased, causing the engine to stop. luckily nothing was damaged other than the bearing.
Actually their is a belt squeak/whine. I already replaced the tensioner and idler but the belt still makes noise. Maybe it is that idk! Thanks so much

·
Registered
197 Posts
Same thing here, I didn't have ticking until after adjusting my valves. Did them again and everything was already in spec. Freaked me out but I've read posts other people with similar stories so I've made peace with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same thing here, I didn't have ticking until after adjusting my valves. Did them again and everything was already in spec. Freaked me out but I've read posts other people with similar stories so I've made peace with it.
Yea same exact thing here. I’m thinking maybe they were too tight before so now that they’re in spec they make a little more noise I guess? Who knows sounds like same thing happened to you too I guess

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was thinking maybe that or maybe there was sludge on the rockets or valves and I just disturbed it. <Shrug...>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking maybe that or maybe there was sludge on the rockets or valves and I just disturbed it. <Shrug...>
Maybe! Who knows:/ I might go back and adjust the valves tighter and lube them up or something. The noise really annoys me. ):

·
Registered
657 Posts
Depending on your wallet and tolerance....

Datalog the car...check fault codes, if any.
If it's tuned perfectly, it's mechanical.
I'd first go with a new TCT from Inline Pro, a modded OEM unit.

Last step...take it to specialists in the specific engine you have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depending on your wallet and tolerance....

Datalog the car...check fault codes, if any.
If it's tuned perfectly, it's mechanical.
I'd first go with a new TCT from Inline Pro, a modded OEM unit.

Last step...take it to specialists in the specific engine you have.
So you do think it sounds abnormal tho right? I’d really like this fixed as cheaply as possible. I know it just got a new chain tensioner, but I wouldn’t mind it getting tuned or sent to a specialist I just don’t have too many people who do that around where I live.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welp I adjusted my valves and the shop I took it too had them way out of spec so I figured it out! Damn valves weren’t correct they had them all about .002 off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts