8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Warranties are designed for the company to make money. In my opinion they are generally not worth buying. Especially when you are talking about a car like the civic that is known for its reliability.

But some people need that peace of mind...

·
Registered
690 Posts
i purchased it after long arguing what they would give it to me for..i forget the mileage, but it is until 80K miles...i paid a few hundred less than what they originally offered me for the extension...if it werent for the savings, i wouldnt have gotten it...but hey, its a dealership, so what savings?! hah.....i needed the peace of mind. yeah, its a civic. but anything can go wrong with any car.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Don't you get roadside assistance along with it or is that just here in Canada? Cuz to me that's worth it all by itself.

I never used to get the extended warranty but Civics have become much more complicated (read expensive to fix) with things like airbags and OPDS sensors and ABS and all that other stuff and I want it all to be covered for as long as I'm going to be driving the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't you get roadside assistance along with it or is that just here in Canada? Cuz to me that's worth it all by itself.

I never used to get the extended warranty but Civics have become much more complicated (read expensive to fix) with things like airbags and OPDS sensors and ABS and all that other stuff and I want it all to be covered for as long as I'm going to be driving the car.
Yes it is included, see link.

Honda Care Extended Warranty

·
Registered
673 Posts
some people need that peace of mind...
Exactly. I bought a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty. That means for the entire time I'm making payments I will pretty much never have to worry about any break/fix issues. Honda Care covers a pretty decent amount of stuff too. After the car is paid off and the warranty expires, I'll have the extra cash if I need to have anything fixed.

Roadside assistance and locksmith service are also worth it IMO.

Not only that, the dealer worked some "magic" with my warranty. They charged me like $1000 or so more for the warranty, and as opposed to pocketing the profit they applied it to my loan to buydown a whole percentage point. :vtec:

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Let me quote myself from version # 17,432 of this thread:

Lets quickly summarize the replies that will come to this thread, since this has been asked many and numerous times already:

(1) Group one will answer: NO WAY, ITS A RIP OFF. And they will quote consumer reports on the low probability of actually getting your money's worth out of it.

(2) Group two will answer: Its insurance, buy it if you feel like it. And will quote anecdotal examples of folks for whom it was a life-saver.

(3) Group three will answer: YES, GET IT. IT IS WORTH IT. Again, quoting anecdotal examples of 'friends' and 'this guy they know' who it came in handy for.

At the end of the day, YOU have to decide if it is worth it to you.

IF, you do decide to get the Honda Care extended warranty, DO NOT buy it through your dealer unless they can match the lowest online genuine Honda Care plan from one of the below:

Honda Care Warranty Information (Bernardi Honda)

Honda Extended Warranty - Honda Service Contract - Honda Care (Curry Honda)

Honda Care Warranties - Extended Vehicle Service Warranty Contract (College Hills Honda)

All are GENUINE Honda Care warranties and will often be HUNDREDS of dollars less than your dealer will offer.

Alternately, take a good look at Warrantydirect.com. They have VERY comprehensive Bumpter-to-Bumper warranty plans (real ones with VERY few exclusions), at very reasonable prices compared to OEM extended warranty plans. AND, Warrantydirect.com WILL pay on claims.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
HondaCare is great IMO. I purchased it for for first Honda and though I never needed it - when I privately sold that car I am sure it helped the car to bring a good price. I plan to keep the Civic for about 4 years and when I sell it I will ask for and get a better price becuase the car will still have 3 years of Factory warrenty left.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was thinking about getting the extended warranty but my uncle is a mechanic. So, when my warranty is over, he'll do all my repairs for practically free.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was thinking about getting the extended warranty but my uncle is a mechanic. So, when my warranty is over, he'll do all my repairs for practically free.
That's my point though... I never used to get it because I get parts for cost and I can do my own work. That's fine for brake rotors and springs and shocks, but can your uncle replace a $1800 digital dash or multi-thousand dollar airbags and sensors and stuff?!?

·
Registered
108 Posts

I bought it mostly for the roadside assistance as well and because of the complicated mechanics in the car.

After owning a Grand Am I thought it was worth it.
AMEN!! I had a Grand Am once and the repairs my extended warranty had to cover (blown cam shaft) was more than I paid for the warranty. I will always remember that and will always purchase an extended warranty, Honda or not.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That's my point though... I never used to get it because I get parts for cost and I can do my own work. That's fine for brake rotors and springs and shocks, but can your uncle replace a $1800 digital dash or multi-thousand dollar airbags and sensors and stuff?!?
My uncle could probably find me a digital dash from a junk yard. He does not deal with interior because he is a mechanic. If I need work for something other than mechanics, then he refers me somewhere else.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
be careful! those sob dealers will try to sell you a warranty that you might not need! like in my case they kept telling me that it would kick in after the warranty and certified warranty experied~! this is not true!:eek:mg:

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
HondaCare is very different than a simple extened warrenty.

You can cover your car bumper-bumper for 7 years and 120k miles for like an extra 1000.00. I'll take piece of mind knowing that a transmission repair or a ECU replacement will cost about that much alone. Plus the hondacare is transferable which makes the private selling value of the car worth more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I passed on that. I heard that you can always extend a warrenty if you feel the need to do it. Is that true?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I believe that the original warranty for the powertrain is 5 years/60,000 miles (correct me if I'm wrong). So, unless you drive a crap load more than the normal person an extra grand is not worth 2 more years of warranty IMO. Getting the warranty for resale value is understandable though, if you plan to sell your car while it is still relatively new.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts