8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no audiophile but I'd like a little more bass out of the Civic (well any bass actually). Honda sells the 2 6.5" sub kit that replaces the rear deck speakers. Does anyone know how well this system works vs. adding an Infinity Basslink with the 1 10"? I've heard good things on the Basslink but the Honda kit appears to be much easier to install.

TIA :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
im not sure. ive heard the little accessory sub for the van was 1 6.5 woofer that went under the front pax seat. it was nice. im not a bass freak. i like balance mids/ his w/ some rumble from bass. im 26yo i listen to techno so it all depends on what genre of music u listen to that will give u that ballance. the bass speakers for the civic will sound good . the trunk volumn will def. help those speakers. what are u getting? lx/dx? or have rather.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an EX sedan (in sig)... The stereo sounds good minus the almost complete lack of bass. My typical setup for all the cars I've had is to max out the treble and bass leaving the mid alone. I think I'll go for the Honda kit and see what it's like... Going between the Pilot and the Civic is just too much so all I'd like to do is match that setup pretty close and I'll be happy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good question, I'd like to know too. And how is the 350watt system that comes with Ex coupe?!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Go with what you want. If you want a trunk shaker, go aftermarket, JL Audio...

If you just want a little extra kick, I'd still say go aftermarket, Memphis Audio makes some nice compact amps that can be mounded under one of the front seats (out of theives sights). Then just put a single 10" in the back...

I use to work at a stereo shop, last time I went by to hang out they had this TINY memphis box, it was a 10" or and 8" and I was blown away by its performance. It was in a very small box, that would take up little to no room. If you mount your amp under the seat and just run the speaker wire to the trunk, you can easly unhook the box and move it about or take it out completly if need be...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CameronJr9 said:
I'm pleased with the amount of bass from my sedan. Granted, it's not like having a pair of powered 12 inch subs, but for a factory setup, I'm happy. What's the price difference between Honda's bass setup versus an aftermarket set?
I'm not looking for 12" subs and quite honestly I hate the people who drive around with them turned up all the way. I'm just looking for a little more kick than what's there... If the radio went up to +10 for bass then that would probably be good.

The price difference between the two is negligible:
Honda: $268ish shipped
Infinity: $205ish shipped + RadioShack type expenses

The real difference is the Honda kit basically is plug an play and the Infinity I'd have to wire power from the front to the back and tap the rear speakers for a signal but I wouldn't lose the rear speakers.

Installing an amp anywhere and shoving a big box in the trunk is not an option... Need all the space I can get for hauling baby stuff and I don't feel like being that creative with wiring the car yet.

It's a toss for now so I'll go with the Honda kit and if it's halway decent it will be fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
get an aftermarket 10" and an amp. those HONDA 6.5" subs r basically normal aftermarket speakers with the same sized larger magnet. for the price, just get some Alpine Type R's or something like that

·
Registered
321 Posts
At first I was thinking, "Doesn't the EX have the 350-watt system?" but then I found out the EX sedan doesn't come with it. I found the sub from the EX coupe was enough to satisfy me (though I'm not an audiophile either). The quality didn't seem as good as my computer speakers (Altec Lansing VS-2121 which comes with a sub) but I was listening to radio quality music. I should bring a CD into the dealer next time.

Anyway, I hope the bass speakers you're ordering aren't like my RSX-S's in my spare tire... I can't hear it at all... :S And I've even brought it to the dealer because of a known wiring issue for the "sub".

·
Registered
141 Posts
^ yep, my early `02 was out of phase...

Still didnt help that much, but at least it gave it some bass...

No high's, no low's, must be BOSE...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just totalled my Tiburon so I'll be taking the 2 12" Polk Momo's out of it and putting them in the Civic. Running off a JL Audio 500/1 amp. Thinking about changing from a sealed enclosure to a bandpass enclosure tho. The bass in the Tib was mega low and I'd like some more mid range bass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts