8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

321 - 340 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Been running this setup since summer, and is by far one of the easiest and best mods you could do. I also removed the fins in the air box and replaced the intake arm with a HPS unit and have a K&N drop-in. I routed a metal dryer hose from the lower half of the intake box to under the car.

I used to run an Injen SRI and while that thing sounded mean, I feel more low-end punch with this DIY setup. Also, the car doesn't feel like it's restrained in the upper RPMs once i removed the resonator and removed the fins.

As far as the VTEC sound/noise/crossover, it's definitely not as pronounced as it was with the SRI but at the same time, I like it like that. Don't get me wrong you can still hear it loud and clear just not mind-numbingly loud. The transition is smooth and the sound is very sporty which, at my old age, I kind of like.

Are there other options out there that make more power? of course. But for me, I love the sound, love the low-end improvement, the high-end breathability and the OEM look.

My buddy has an 09, with just an SRI (Takeda) and I drove both our cars back-to-back, only difference is the I have the DIY intake. I could tell/feel the difference below 4000rpm, and he could as well. After VTEC, his car is louder but we agreed that they felt about the same.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i too also felt a "pull" improvement on the top end. from the seat of the pants approach, it just felt like it smoothed out the power band by letting her breathe easier. only k/n drop-in filter and a smoothed out filter box. other wise stock exhaust.... so of coarse i can hear the engine ripp louder with the free mod.

·
Registered
148 Posts
oh, i also used the dryer hose to box method for a mock up "oem mugen style" cold air intake. theres a diaram on here somewhere. it does the same thing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Has anyone tried to by pass the resonator and make a connection between the two pipes so there is still cold air coming from the fender.

just get a 3inWide/6in long coupler and two hose clamps. then reconnect the intake piece with the stock rubber velocity stack and attach it to the intake piece in between the intake box and resonator. get rid of the resonator, and it fits the stock velocity stack perfectly behind the fog light area. looks oem and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Has anyone tried to by pass the resonator and make a connection between the two pipes so there is still cold air coming from the fender.

just get a 3inWide/6in long coupler and two hose clamps. then reconnect the intake piece with the stock rubber velocity stack and attach it to the intake piece in between the intake box and resonator. itll butt toghether and the coupler will stretch and fit over both pieces to connect them. get rid of the resonator, and it fits the stock velocity stack perfectly behind the fog light area. looks oem and clean.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yea so almost like in the pictures in the first post, except with my way theres no cutting or having to remove the rubber oem velocity stack to attach it later. just butt the two pieces toghether with a 3in coupler and some hose clamps. it reaches perfectly where the resonator used to be and its light enough that it really doesnt flop around without the bracket for below. with the new coupler itll be ridged enough. itll mount with the oem rubber grommet attached to the stock battery tray.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What's the purpose for those plastic ribs in our air box, it looks like it could be restrictive. There must be a reason Honda put them there..my guess is its to strengthen the air box...maybe not. Must have something to do with the intake sound.

·
Registered
148 Posts

What's the purpose for those plastic ribs in our air box, it looks like it could be restrictive. There must be a reason Honda put them there..my guess is its to strengthen the air box...maybe not. Must have something to do with the intake sound.

sound/noise baffles maybe. but, why would you wanna silence the VTEC? lol thats crazy talk. i shaved mines out also.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I never said I wanted to silence the VTEC, just wondered if anyone has air coming in from the fender (the way Honda has it) without the resonator.
A Dremel tool would work wonders on this mod.
That to me would be a better setup, no worries of hydro lock.
As far as those ribs, I think I'll shave mine down..just to smooth out the air flow. The way it is now only one side of my filter is getting more air than the other..judging by the dirt pattern.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i know. your right. i was just saying that if honda designed the box to baffle the sound of engine rev that would be crazy. it sounds so good why would they do that? the whole point of shaving is to smooth out the air flow from restriction or turbulance or both. kinda like an exhaust system, remove the resonator and all the baffles. it gets louder. same with the intake, remove the resonator and the baffles and it gets louder. Hmmm?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh I see what your saying "08civicsi" . The stock set up does have that nice sound @ 6000rpm. Very nice switch over.
However the best (stock) VTEC sound I've heard was from my 94 Integra GSR. It had a dual intake manifold. When those extra butterfly flaps opened on VTEC it sounded like the engine has an extra 2 cylinders.
I sure miss that car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Usually removing the resonator makes your car more quiet but only because it's now pulling air from down low. When I did all of this I noticed an improvement immediately, but I did everything I could.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Usually removing the resonator makes your car more quiet but only because it's now pulling air from down low. When I did all of this I noticed an improvement immediately, but I did everything I could.
Umm,no. I'm pretty sure the resonator is there to make the intake more silent. If it's removed the car will be louder.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Umm,no. I'm pretty sure the resonator is there to make the intake more silent. If it's removed the car will be louder.
Which would be true, if you took the inlet tube out of the front fender and had the resonator take the air from the lower bumper in the same fashion as when it's removed. But since Honda wanted the Si to sound sporty it pulls air from closer to the cabin which in turn makes the perception louder for the driver. Outside of the car this argument would be negated of course and standing in front of my car it is now louder, but driving inside the car like most do it is quieter. Feel free to disagree all you wish, but many people have posted this same opinion about this mod.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My car definitely got a lot "quieter" after doing this mod. Granted, I did this after having an Injen SRI, do my opinion's a little biased. The main thing I noticed, sound-wise, is the VTEC crossover. It's a significantly quieter/smother transition.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I agree with this... the function of the resonator is to decrease the harshness of the induction noise.

Which would be true, if you took the inlet tube out of the front fender and had the resonator take the air from the lower bumper in the same fashion as when it's removed. But since Honda wanted the Si to sound sporty it pulls air from closer to the cabin which in turn makes the perception louder for the driver. Outside of the car this argument would be negated of course and standing in front of my car it is now louder, but driving inside the car like most do it is quieter. Feel free to disagree all you wish, but many people have posted this same opinion about this mod.
From what I read, when the SI was being introduced, they talked specifically about how the intake tubing was routed through the drivers side fender to increase induction sound volume over previous Civics.

My observations after installing the M&M air scoop: In stock form, the induction noise is almost unnoticeable until it hits VTEC, which is a pretty drastic increase in sound. With the resonator removed, the induction sound overall is increased while the VTEC crossover is only mildly increase, resulting in a decreased difference in sound.

After driving like this over a number of months, I can totally hear the induction noise, though not as pronounced as if it had a tube style after market intake. My description would be a mild growl that sounds more 'mechanical' than the stock exhaust note. Mostly noticeable when you stab the gas during cruising. VTEC sounds throatier compared to when it had the resonator in.

321 - 340 of 359 Posts