8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

301 - 320 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
for you guys doing this without removing the front bumper. You just remove the bolts and then twist it out through the wheel well? I've never taken my bumper off and was trying to avoid it, but if it makes it worlds easier then I will do it.

I only have a gravel parking lot to work in though :( Also for people that dropped their battery to the frame, what size hose clamp did you use for the tie down?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did this today myself. I agree with the VTEC not hitting as loud as usual, but i think it pulls better from 5800 through to 8000. There is also better throttle response (a little anyways), but i like that top end pull at lot more. She breathes so much better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1st official post... uber noob... used to be a dubber back in the day, owning all sorts of fun VWs and Audis, but now I'm daily driving my reliable 08 R18. I've had it for 3 months and absolutely love it.

I came across this thread and decided to give it a try. I removed the resonator, and rerouted the intake behind the bumper. Also added a K&N drop-in. Took 30min to complete. Definite throttle response difference, minor sound improvement and maybe some added hp (2-4 max I would guess, if that). I plan on adding a mandrel-bent galvanized intake tube with scope in the fog light area, as well as shaving the air box fins. Just wondering if any other R18 owners have done this mod. Seems like all the pics are of VTECS. I'll post pics once I get the engine bay cleaned up.
I did the same thing. Completely removed the resonator and pipes. Did not have to cut anything. Will add the drop in and the air inlet that will grab delicious cold air from the lower portion of the auto. Very quick and easy modification depending on your mechanical know how.:umad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just did this mod yesterday at my mechanics shop while we changed my tranny fluid. Reset ECU and went for a few drives. Seems like a difference in Vtec and Vtec engagement. Only other mod I have is a hi-flow cat. Going to get a K&N drop-in.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Did anyone ever do a dyno on this?? Does it actually change the power?

According to the dyno my stock whp was 166. After this single mod (I already had the drop in k&n), it added an additional 10-11 hp at the wheel. Some call me a liar, all I know is what the 3 dyno runs said.

- 66.NODNF

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
So I did this the other day and while I liked the sound, didn't like the way that my airbox looked hacked up. I then ordered the M&M scoop.

It sounds a little louder than the homemade icebox, functions more or less the same, weighs less and has a bit of a larger opening for air. The downside is that it cost me a few bucks. :S

For those that notice a drop in vtec noise, it's because Honda originally designed the OEM intake to pull air from the fender and be acoustically tuned. Now, having air drawn in purely front, you don't get the noise from the fender snorkel anymore. Hence it seeming like it doesn't hit as hard.

Like others, I also noticed throttle response becoming a tad more responsive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So the "x" intake, uses what year CRV tubing, and can I just use my stock vein, cut it out of the airbox, use CRV tubing and it be okay? I know the stock venturi, or vane would read the most accurate, since I don't have FP right now, and has someone figured out a way, possible a different top that works or a different airbox that fits a cone filter inside it?? I have a home made short ram at the moment, only because I'm planning on boost and bought a cheap ebay intake, and don't trust the MAF tubing as far as I can throw it, planning on cutting the metal tubing, and replacing it with my stock vane, but if there's a way to get the 3 " filter inside if an airbox, and keep the bottom end for some cool air flow, that would be great. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
184 Posts
i just got flashpro recently and was wondering what map you guys are flashing with this intake?
i am currently using the stock map on flashprotuning.com and was wondering if it would be better if i flashed it with an injen map?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just did this today. I actually like it better than the flipped Injen SRI I had on. Vtec has a really smooth engagement now and, sadly, it's not quite as loud as an aftermarket intake. But for being such a cheap mod, you can't beat this. The power it gains seems to be almost the same as the short ram I had. I definitely recommend doing this, especially if you're broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
what would give better throttle response, a cai or sri? iono i had my car for exactly year now and my throttle response is starting decline, or atleast it seems iono, i changed to new spark plugs, it helped a little, and cleaned my air filter, but stil seems a little bad
I went through the same thing as you, I replaced the battery with an Optima yellow Top.... throttle Response better than stock, in fact it was so beneficial that I uncovered that the clutch was on its way out. I didnt notice the clutch slipping before because the throttle lag was enough to allow the clutch to grip and not show any signs of wear.... 55k

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think it's safe to say that when you replaced your battery the car did a throttle body relearn procedure, maybe this should be something people do more often to their cars to help response.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think so although it seems like a good idea for maintenance. The battery was dying on me so I had to jump start the car on several occasions; therefore its safe to say that the ECU re-learned throttle a few times before the new battery was installed. I should also mention that I replaced the battery with the car running because I didn't have the radio code handy, and did not want to lose my radio for the day. So between batteries the ECU never lost power, so no re-learning in between batteries... just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
wrong the bottom of the air filter box has an inlet to let air in...incase of such a thing were to happen...
Can you elaborate on this a little more. I just finished this little intake mod and I was looking for the inlet that you are talking about and I can't find it. I know the factory intake has a pipe that connects into the fender area from the black box that we removed.

Sorry. I hope It doesn't sound confusing lol.

Please let me know. Thanks

301 - 320 of 359 Posts