8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my Klight 6000k PnP kit last night. Install was easy as ****. I made it easier by removing my front two tires while doing the work. They worked perfectly the first time around, thanks to the great DYIs on information on here.

So, holy ****, dude, they're bright as hell. I see now in a big way why so many members here totally hate the practice of using these without getting a proper retrofit.

I'm going to do a few tests here with some friends to see exactly how blinding they are to other drivers. After that, I'm going to reaim them. They need reaiming, badly. There is no purpose for the left to be higher for sign illumination anymore given the ridiculous amount of light put out now.

Any good guides on reaiming headlights in this car? I know its basically a screwdriver + some hole, twist, done.

Any suggestions on best aiming policy for these from anyone else that has a PnP HID?

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so after some testing, their current aim was really found to be something close to total insanity in my opinion. This is my plan. I know that the stock halogen lamps at 25 feet are supposed to have a cut off that is 4" lower than your headlights. Given the fact that I've now got a PnP HID kit, I dropped the height considerably. The cutoff is still visible, but its distorted by tons of light throw-off from the HIDs.

I've got them aimed now so that what is left of the cutoff is now about 6" below at 25 feet. This way the light throw-off (glare) that is above the normal cutoff is right around where stock cutoff would have been. I drove around with it at this setting for a good minute and its much better. The lighting for me is still superb, and now I don't have to worry nearly as much about blinding other drivers.

Thoughts on this?

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whichever type comes in the Klight 6000k kit from the chinese seller on eBay (who rules, btw).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did you get D2S or D2R bulbs? One does not cause glare the other does.
Wrong... The bulb made for reflector HID "may" cause less glare, but there will be glare, period. Any HID bulbs are made for HID housing only, projector or reflector. The dimension of HID bulb is very different from regular halogen and that is where the glare comes from. Some housing work better than the others, but all non-HID housing will cause some degree of glare with PNP HID kit. :wavey:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok, so after some testing, their current aim was really found to be something close to total insanity in my opinion. This is my plan. I know that the stock halogen lamps at 25 feet are supposed to have a cut off that is 4" lower than your headlights. Given the fact that I've now got a PnP HID kit, I dropped the height considerably. The cutoff is still visible, but its distorted by tons of light throw-off from the HIDs.

I've got them aimed now so that what is left of the cutoff is now about 6" below at 25 feet. This way the light throw-off (glare) that is above the normal cutoff is right around where stock cutoff would have been. I drove around with it at this setting for a good minute and its much better. The lighting for me is still superb, and now I don't have to worry nearly as much about blinding other drivers.

Thoughts on this?
It will help a bit with the glare, but glare is mostly caused by the light thrown off the cut-off and they go up pretty high covering large area. Post up a wall shot at 25 feet and we may know better how bad the glare is. Personally, it is retro or halogen.

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
come on!
you bought HID's to see better, wider and further, not to narrow your vision to just a few feet in front of you.
Dude, the lighting currently is frickin killer. Before adjustment it was insane, something much closer to high beam than low beam pattern.

The adjustment just made it doable. Personally speaking, after the adjustment, I don't see why so many people have such hate for PnP kits. Proper adjustment virtually removes all noticable glare. Granted, there is still some, but were talking on the level of very minor irratation to other drivers. Definitely not within danger zone.

I'll take some pics and show. Basically the idea behind my aiming technique was to take into account the light throw off and balance the lighting angle so that it was compensating for the extra area. It didn't decrease range by any noticable amount but it definitely did remove any potential irratation or danger to others.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
No need to show me anything. I've used rebased D2S, rebased D2R, 6,000K kit, even bought the Klight kit! then retrofit with FX35 and e30 clear lense, S2000 projectors, tsx projectors and rx330 with clear e30 lense swap.

As far as proper adjustment, I see you have no idea how HID lighting is emitted from the bulb. Why do you think light shoots upwards? Take a good look at a D2S bulb then at a D2R bulb. both of which the ceramic tube will always be on the bottom side and the bulb glass on top of it. Then pay attention to the shield on the D2R bulb and the differences between an HID reflector and Halogen reflector.

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to show me anything. I've used rebased D2S, rebased D2R, 6,000K kit, even bought the Klight kit! then retrofit with FX35 and e30 clear lense, S2000 projectors, tsx projectors and rx330 with clear e30 lense swap.

As far as proper adjustment, I see you have no idea how HID lighting is emitted from the bulb. Why do you think light shoots upwards? Take a good look at a D2S bulb then at a D2R bulb. both of which the ceramic tube will always be on the bottom side and the bulb glass on top of it. Then pay attention to the shield on the D2R bulb and the differences between an HID reflector and Halogen reflector.
Agreed, I don't know much at all about the technical side of this. I'm doing what I can purely based on hands on testing with this kit. Doing drive by test runs with a friend to see differences in glare for different aiming. The way I have it now seems to be the best way to reduce glare while maintaining visibility.

If you can enlighten me as to the best way to do this, please do, I'm all ears.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I know nothing about aftermarket lighting. I'm constantly worrying about deer in my area, and want brighter than factory lighting, but don't want to be replacing Silverstars once, or twice a year. Can anybody tell me the benefits (obvious brighter lighting), and the drawbacks to these plug n play HID kits? And what's the difference between the PNP, and custom retrofits? Sorry for asking such a noob question, but like I said, I'm a lighting retard.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
Agreed, I don't know much at all about the technical side of this. I'm doing what I can purely based on hands on testing with this kit. Doing drive by test runs with a friend to see differences in glare for different aiming. The way I have it now seems to be the best way to reduce glare while maintaining visibility.

If you can enlighten me as to the best way to do this, please do, I'm all ears.
there's nothing you can do. Just get them back to stock then rotate the up and down screw counterclock wise to aim them down abit. Trust me, you push downwards more and you won't see **** when it rains and in very dark places u'll be scared sh*tless. there's no solution for this glare otherwise lexus, acura, bmw, etc wouldn't spend so much in lighting

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there's nothing you can do. Just get them back to stock then rotate the up and down screw counterclock wise to aim them down abit. Trust me, you push downwards more and you won't see **** when it rains and in very dark places u'll be scared sh*tless. there's no solution for this glare otherwise lexus, acura, bmw, etc wouldn't spend so much in lighting
Sorry man, but I have to agree to disagree. I know what I see with my own eyes. After aiming them lower and testing it, the glare is extremely minimal from every angle possible.

Is there still glare? yes, but its negligible. My visibility is still completely superb.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
Sorry man, but I have to agree to disagree. I know what I see with my own eyes. After aiming them lower and testing it, the glare is extremely minimal from every angle possible.

Is there still glare? yes, but its negligible. My visibility is still completely superb.
unplug one of your ballasts and put in your 9006 halogen bulb. With your own eyes you will see which one is wider and distributes light further. Granted, HId's will be way more intense but say bye to actual output.

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I personally don't give a **** about the theoretical side of this. I know what I see. Even with my current aim, they're bright as all hell and have great distance.

There is no question in my mind that they trump stock halogens in every way possible.

I'd go out and compare the difference, but I think driving with halogens for 6 months was enough to remember the difference I see now.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
I personally don't give a **** about the theoretical side of this. I know what I see. Even with my current aim, they're bright as all hell and have great distance.

There is no question in my mind that they trump stock halogens in every way possible.

I'd go out and compare the difference, but I think driving with halogens for 6 months was enough to remember the difference I see now.
LOL
Do you know why im telling you this?
HID has more intensity than Halogens. That's why you THINK you can see better when in fact you can see alot brighter right in front of you since your aiming is probably way too low. It's easy to know when you've tested everything first-hand :wavey:

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Wrong... The bulb made for reflector HID "may" cause less glare, but there will be glare, period. Any HID bulbs are made for HID housing only, projector or reflector. The dimension of HID bulb is very different from regular halogen and that is where the glare comes from. Some housing work better than the others, but all non-HID housing will cause some degree of glare with PNP HID kit. :wavey:
To what extent are you talking about? I've had HID kits in all my cars and no glare, I drive in Socal OC with no issues. I'm running OEM Denso hids though, not the ebay stuff. No issues ever in any of the cars. The cause of glare is from the light source at the bottom of the bulb reflecting off the bottom of the housing, that's what causes the glare. With the right bulb D2R there is a black lining that keeps the light from reflecting on the bottom of the housing.
D2R compared to D2S

It is NOT just bulb size like you said.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I know with my PNP that i now cannot see that well to the left and right of me when i'm turning. I gotta go extra slow to make sure there's no pedestrian on the corner or something.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Whatever you do, you can't change the basic design of HID bulbs. Gas is discharged in HID bulbs where in halogens, small filament is lit up. If you are so certain that there is no glare, then just post up a wall shot.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts