8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I was pulling into the bank to go over some details of a mortgage, long story short an overseas driver in a company rented car (though Avis) decided to throw his car in reverse and hits the front of my car. He has the full coverage on his car and I got all of his information, am I required to to go through my insurance or is this something I would go through Avis? I'll post pictures later but my hood, drivers side headlight and fender are all toast. My front bumper is also scratched to hell.

He was driving a Jeep patriot.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
yep, just talk to your insurance agent and let them do the work for you.

the only time you might want to talk directly is when you can't afford to pay
your deductible. the offender's insurance will cut you a check.

regardless, they will still send you a check for your deductible later on even if
you do use your insurance.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
you dont need to pay your deductable, unless you have wierd state laws. I never get my insurance company involved unless its my fault. Call avis and get it figured out, if there are problems, then have your company deal with it. All you have to tell them is there renter hit your car and he had their insurance. Then tell them you will have the bill sent to their corporate office and that you expect everything to be taken care of without any problems.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
you dont need to pay your deductable, unless you have wierd state laws. I never get my insurance company involved unless its my fault. Call avis and get it figured out, if there are problems, then have your company deal with it. All you have to tell them is there renter hit your car and he had their insurance. Then tell them you will have the bill sent to their corporate office and that you expect everything to be taken care of without any problems.
you're not paying your deductible because you're not going through your
insurance... duh...

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
Your insurance has nothing to do with it so don't bother calling them. File a claim with avis and they will pay for the damages.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
you're not paying your deductible because you're not going through your
insurance... duh...

The post above me said something about his deductable, so i clarified it. Some states do require both parties insurance to get involved for investigation purposes

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hopefully the rental car was insured through Avis by the overseas driver. If not, the person who rented the rental car will be responsible for both the rental car and damage to your car. If the person DID NOT purchase rental coverage, you should collect as much info from the other driver and contact your insurance company ASAP.

In many cases, if the driver was from outside the country, he would had purchased full rental coverage from the rental car company because rarely does car insurance transfer over from another country (unless it's business related). If that's the situation, Avis will take care of your vehicle and his without any major hassle.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
If the driver was an employee of a company and used the company credit card or company account to rent the car. Contact the drivers employeer.

-My company forces us to decline rental car insurance and requires us to use our own personall insurance. But an overseas driver brings up some issues? BE QUICK! or else he can skip country!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I called avis yesterday and an adjuster is coming out tomorrow, hopefully I will either have a rental car or a check to get my car fixed asap.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow, that's for sure over $1K in damage. Did you file a police report? I know states have different laws, but here if you are involved in an accident that results in more that $1K, you can get a ticket for not filing a report (even if it wasn't your fault).

Good luck with insurance and the fix. I was in an accident 2 months after I got my fg2. I took it to the dealership I bought it from and they fixed it just like brand new.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not required to file a police report unless I get my insurance company involved(they wouldn't even show up). The thing you can't see in the picture is my fender is pushed back into my door alittle

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Well seeing as though I'm employed by a big National/Alamo and Enterprise YRC. (LOL). You will get your car fixed in record time the adjusters should write you out an estimate for more than enough to cover your damage and your rental. I'm not sure about Avis procedures but ours are: if you meaning the renter hits a personal vehicle,there rental, repairs, and compensation are paid at your expenses. Only if no coverage was purchased at time of rental. So Avis should take care of you nicely.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If the driver was an employee of a company and used the company credit card or company account to rent the car. Contact the drivers employeer.

-My company forces us to decline rental car insurance and requires us to use our own personall insurance. But an overseas driver brings up some issues? BE QUICK! or else he can skip country!
Also remember that most credit cards only provide collision protection for the car that was rented, not the other vehicle that was hit. Credit cards usually do not provide liability (3rd party) protection so if you're at fault and there's significant damage to the other vehicle/party, you better hope your insurance coverage is decent because I've seen claims well over $100,000 (medical + property). Good news though is that rentals done through company/business related work are better because business insurance is fairly good and should transfer over to cover their employees. If not, you're getting screwed if you're using your own insurance for company work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
^ why are you laughing.. is the insurance company taking ur claim?

damn foreign ppl, they can give a rats ass how they drive or park. I see all the time with the Diplomats in manhattan. It's the most stressful area to drive in as it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts