8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so on the way to work this morning (in a ton of snow) I slid off the road at low speed (~5MPH). It was a low curb (didn't touch the front bumper), but it was definatly a hit, sort of like hitting a large pothole. No warnings or TPMS on the dash, and the car seemed ok although I only got up to about 20MPH in the rest of the trip in the snow, so i couldn't feel anything re: alignment. I looked at the rim, and theres a small indent in the lip where the impact was, and a tiny piece of rubber missing from the tire.

Anything to watch out for with this? I've know people who've bent their frames hitting curbs before, and I really hope this hasn't happened as the car is brand new.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
ive done that before and im still driving mines around no issues, i think if you really hit the curb hard you'd probably feel the difference in your drive right away. But if you want assurance just take it to Honda or a local mechanical shop to have a look at, i would say its alright judging by your description of the incident.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - hopefully I'll have a chance to run in later on clean roads to see if there's any shaking or vibrating - just glad to know the frame should be good. I don't mind paying for an alignment, but frame damage would have been bad.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Did you slide into it or run up on top of it?

slide into it = get something fixed

run up on top of it = alignment tops.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you slide into it or run up on top of it?

slide into it = get something fixed

run up on top of it = alignment tops.
I went up on top of it - thankfully it was stone curb and the stones weren't very high; hit the curb and went right up on top of it onto the grass. It felt kinda of like hitting a large pothole, but the curb didn't stop the car from moving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't seem to be any issues after driving around the past few days - no shaking, steering wheel position is the same as before, no new noises, car tracks straight (hard to test on crappy NJ roads tho!); took it all the way up to 90 and everything seems same as before.

Just gotta be even more careful in the snow next time.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
i hit a curb doing 65 2 weeks ago... i got ran off the road. anyways i hit it with my wheels turned all the way to the right. it pushed my wheel under my car and pushed it back to the rear of the wheel well. this was the driver side right. anyways. it bent my contol arm in half and my ball joint in half also. my seatbelts locked and wouldnt release. airbag light came on and steering was all messed up. i personally replaced the control arm and ball joint, got an alignment and its still messed up. the wheel is cambered out, the top of the wheel is out, not in. i am also lowered so it should be cambered in not out. the steering wheel wont go back to center when its turned, it stays there. its very hard to turn.....

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Is the curb ok? I hate it when people mess up city property. Anyways, once I was making a turn and hit a curb with my back tire. Didn't pay attention until a year later I was replacing all the tires and the shop owner showed it to me. The whole iron part of the tire was bent so much, it stood out about an inch. Immediately I understood the reason for all the vibration in my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts