8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was driving today on my lunch break and for some reason i had a short attention lapse when i was making a left turn.. i made the turn but made it way too wide and my front wheel hit the curb doing approx 15-20 mph. the front bumper ripped off some mounting holes but will be ok. but the big problem now is that my front wheel has some positive camber (prob 3 degrees or so) and i have major toe OUT.

i took the car home and got the front up on jacks right away.. took the wheel off to examine the area.. and i cant seem to spot any visual damage. the lower A arm looks ok and the tie rod doesnt seem to be bent. at first i thought it just threw out my alignment, but then i know there HAS to be some mechanical damage because we dont even have from camber adjustment.

i drive my car daily so i need to have it fixed soon.. but i would prefer to be able to do it myself in my garage since im pretty handy with tools. but i cant seem to identify the problem. anyone have any advice or help they can offer? i'd really appreciate it :sadwavy:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well... i suspect the only damage that was suffered is whatever caused it to gain the positive camber. i removed the lower 2 strut bolts and moved things around in an attempt to get a better view of all the components down there. and upon reassembly the toe out is not near as drastic, though it is still there. so i have a feeling the impact must have knocked my alignment adjuster to full toe out, and did some mechanical damage to cause the positive camber. its wierd too because now im getting the feeling that my other front tire is now at NEGATIVE camber where before it looked to be at 0.. but that could just be in my head..

in any case.. i could not spot any problems.. i even turned the car on and moved the wheel lock to lock and didnt spot anything unusual. so i guess its going to a mechanic.. i dont even know the first place to go to find a reputable mechanic.. i certainly dont wanna take it to the greedy hounds at the honda dealership

1 - 2 of 2 Posts