8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Word of warning, possibly. I've used HIR bulbs for over four years and never had one explode until the beginning of June, in my DRL at startup, three months after I first installed them. It ruined the headlight housing with hot pieces of glass.
$185 and around two hours of DIY labor later, I still use them on the low beams, but I'm leery of running them in my highs with the DRL operative.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They're probably not meant to be ran with such little power. I have the HIR low beams and have had no problems with them either.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I would appreciate it if you could get a light meter and give a lumen count at like 50ft or something so we could get a comparison from stock.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are IN! What a difference. It was a PITA to install them and trim them but the extra light was worth the difference. I will take cutoff, etc. pics when it gets dark...but so far I am very impressed. I bought the from hirheadlights.com, and they were $24.95 ea. plus $6 shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just received some Toshiba HIR's for my low beams. I installed one of them, but the other.... yeah.. I'm going to do some reading here and see what the best way to install the passenger side light is.
I did a quick drive at tonight with one stock and one HIR bulb. Unfortunatly, until I re-aim the headlight I installed the HIR in, I can't really tell much of a difference. I was in a rush, and wanted to do some research online before I went much further....

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
groovadelickun said:
I just received some Toshiba HIR's for my low beams. I installed one of them, but the other.... yeah.. I'm going to do some reading here and see what the best way to install the passenger side light is.
I did a quick drive at tonight with one stock and one HIR bulb. Unfortunatly, until I re-aim the headlight I installed the HIR in, I can't really tell much of a difference. I was in a rush, and wanted to do some research online before I went much further....
You must go through the fender liner on the passenger side. Make sure you turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and that will make the process a lot easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Word of warning, possibly. I've used HIR bulbs for over four years and never had one explode until the beginning of June, in my DRL at startup, three months after I first installed them. It ruined the headlight housing with hot pieces of glass.
$185 and around two hours of DIY labor later, I still use them on the low beams, but I'm leery of running them in my highs with the DRL operative.
so the HIR bulbs EXPLODE they dont just burn out they have to explode..?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
so the HIR bulbs EXPLODE they dont just burn out they have to explode..?
I don't know about the original poster that you quoted, but I've used HIR for around four years also and replaced them several times without them exploding after burning out. I believe anyone who used them for four years as he stated he had, and without previous incident as also stated, would've replaced at least one or two sets of them. It seems his implication was that the DRLs didn't mix with the high beam bulbs for some reason, or maybe he had a bad bulb from the get go, as three months would be enough time for a bulb that had oils on it from being touched to have blown up way before that.

I'm using them now as low beams and have since I bought my car at the end of March, around 23,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh, so should i stay on the safe side and not get them for my highbeams?
the reason i wanted to get them is because i already got a HID retrofit for my lowbeam and i just thought it'd be nice to have highbeams a little brighter too.
is there any advice you can give me concerning what i should do with my highbeams, or should i just leave it with stock bulbs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh, so should i stay on the safe side and not get them for my highbeams?
the reason i wanted to get them is because i already got a HID retrofit for my lowbeam and i just thought it'd be nice to have highbeams a little brighter too.
is there any advice you can give me concerning what i should do with my highbeams, or should i just leave it with stock bulbs?
They are perfectly applicable for high beams, even with DRL's. There is nothing unique about them that would make them more likely to "explode" vs. any other standard Halogen bulb: they aren't filled with any higher pressure gas or anything, they just have an IR reflective coating on the inside of the glass.

They will work at the DRL low wattage just fine, albiet slightly brighter than your stock bulbs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts