8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have seen this coming a mile away...

Every year it happens like clockwork. What you think is an ordinary Tuesday turns into something so vile, so ugly. It's abusive, violating, and inhumane:

You know, for a law that bases your property taxes on the value of said property, and for a car that has depreciated significantly over the past year, somehow Virginia has managed to charge me more this year than the last.

Notice the line for "Tax Relief"...like as though I should be thankful for their generosity :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
i dont get it....you get charged tax every year for owning your car? didnt you pay tax when you purchased it?
That is correct. In Virginia, your car is considered property for which you pay taxes on each and every year. That's on top of the taxes paid when you initially purchased it. It's a fantastic idea ftl.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
yea i think mine is only about 200ish too... I wouldnt mind paying taxes and such if i felt like i saw the benefit of them... i know they sure as hell aren't being spent on our roads down here though. some of our roads are so heavily patched, they look like spider webs lol. torque steer is bad enough when ur gett'n on it, but when ur tires want to follow the patch lines, it really sucks. lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Where do they get the value of the car? Kelly Blue Book or something. Do they take in account if your car was in accident because the assessed value should be less?

Glad my state doesn't have this.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
I just payed 250ish 2 weeks ago for mine with tags and stickers. I hate it.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
grifter0x said:
Where do they get the value of the car? Kelly Blue Book or something. Do they take in account if your car was in accident because the assessed value should be less?

Glad my state doesn't have this.
Last I heard, they take someone who's currently being paid unemployment by the state, have them sit in one of the local city offices, the city official puts on a surgical glove, and proceeds to pull numbers out of that person's ass. If you're lucky, they pull a number around $5k. Otherwise, you're screwed.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
i'm glad florida doesn't have this...i would be way pissed..as a young male before getting married the government was getting plenty out of me...most of the time to the tune of 28%...i don't believe that they deserve/need any more than that

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Utsaappt802 said:
I’m down here in Atlanta GA. We have to pay an Ad VALOREM Tax each year on our cars. My renewal for my Civic is 289.28 and my VW Jetta is 293.95 both due on THE SAME DAY. That’s a cool 583.23 out of my pocket for tax.
Welcome to the Rape Crisis Center. We're all in the same boat, so it's ok to confide in us all. Everyone, say hi to Utsaappt802 :wavey:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts