8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

High Rev Longevity - Avg engine life Q.

45K views 47 replies 39 participants last post by  Tacobear33 
#1 ·
Now everyone says that 'its a honda' it'll last 2-300k miles and keep on like a champ... But these engines with their high RPM SHOULD fail sooner due to the extra strain being put on them...

I know of S2000 owners that didn't get 100k out of their cars, and these are older guys who don't abuse them, keep them well maintained...

Since these cars are new since 06, there isn't alot of empirical evidence, and those that DO CLAIM high miles on their ODO usually have them through extended HWY driving (long commutes that rack up huge miles - but put relatively less strain on the engine than typical mixed driving conditions)

If you were to put a number between say 100,000 and 300,000 miles of engine life, where do you think the Si would fall in that spectrum...

This is an average guess, presuming you kept up with regular fluid maintenance and inspections....

WHatcha think?

See less See more
#37 ·
I have 145k and all I've had to do was fix my front driver's side strut mount (<$100 and 1 hrs time), oil changes, fluids, spark plugs, and I drive her hard at 85-90 mph every day for 3 years. Suspension has no squeeks anymore since the strut mount. Car feels solid.

#38 ·
175k on my 2002 RSX-S when I sold it, and the engine still ran strong. Oil consumption was manageable (roughly 1qt between changes). I bought it with 135k from a man who didn't know much about cars (it had an SRI, for god's sake), and I didn't baby it either. Were it not for the combination of other large repairs it needed, and the fact that rust had set in, I'd probably still be driving it.

#40 ·
Old thread I know, bought a 07 FA5 w 160k. Runs every bit as strong as the FG2 I totalled when it had 80k. Absolutely love these cars. Anyway, my new ride burnt through a little over a quart in 2000 miles since changing it w Mobil 1 full synthetic. Probably going to check it every other fill up at the gas station as recommended and keep some 5W-30 on hand.

#41 ·
Just purchased 07 FG2 with 179k miles. Was originally looking for a low priced neighborhood car for next couple of years and found this one at $3900, haggled and purchased it at $3000...
Has the famous clear coat issues and the front hood has some rust around where the rock chips were, passenger side fender/bumper needs some work done, but overall, the engine and the tranny is in a surprisingly good shape. Just did all the maintenance stuff over the weekend and the car runs like a dream. Can't believe this car has this much mileage and still runs like it has only around 50k miles. Only issue I found was the whining noise when I reverse, but other than that tranny shifts flawlessly after adjusting the clutch. Probably will keep this car until it breaks.

#42 ·
Only issue I found was the whining noise when I reverse.
Whining in reverse is normal because the teeth on the gears for it are straight cut. Fun fact I learned years back. I was told if I'm hearing it I'm probably going in reverse faster than needed lol

I just picked up a '08 Sedan from an old friend that as far as I can tell is original motor and transmission that she bought used at one time, The car has 201K and climbing since it is now my daily commuter. Damn thing eats some oil though but then again I stay in VTEC . I have the dreaded cold start grinding noise I need to chase down but all the forum answers I can find aren't very helpful. I hope to get it to 300K with out any major issue. I put a little overs 200K on an old Integra and have driven many Honda over the year with over 200K

#43 ·
Thread revival. I just hit 180K in my '08 and seeing that number game me paranoia. Mostly concerned about the timing chain, but it looks like I shouldn't be. The previous owners who bought it CPO were not the type to rag on the car and other than regular oil changes at their local quick lube, it's had an OE clutch replacement, tires, and brakes. I've noticed that the engine eats about a quart of oil over about 5K miles. It doesn't leak and it doesn't smoke, so I'm assuming this is just from high RPM usage. I'm trying some Gumout Multi-System Tune-up in the crankcase and gas tank to see if it helps. Probably won't, but I can appreciate the cleaning before its next oil change. I'm going to try a valve adjustment and replace the spark plugs and valve cover gasket at the same time. Aso need to remove the shim behind the AC clutch so that the clutch engages when the car is warmed up, and also replace the idler and tensioner pulleys, and the serpentine belt. Also planning a transmission fluid change and suspension refresh before the next autocross season starts up. Here's to another 180K miles!

#48 ·
If I was to a say an 8th gen civic si would only last around 200,000 id be lying to you. I have a 2007 Honda Civic si sedan with 276,550 miles on it, not once have I ever had a transmission issue, or motor issues. I do maintain it quite well and have only had to put 1 replacement clutch into it. At the moment I am replacing it for the second time but that’s not anything bad. Clutches don’t last forever, just like brake pads. The 8th gen si k20a2 is by far one of the most well built and reliable motors out there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.