8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Old, old thread. But my cars almost 10 years old now, running strong at 193K. PCV valve, pulleys, and oil is all she's needed.
Keep an eye on the timing chains. Mine skipped at at around 200k. I forget. I have the procedure to check the slack which includes removing the engine mount dogbone, miscellaneous accessories, ....which if you do all that is close enough to just change them while you are in there.

I beat mine like a biche everyday. Never let up. Last set of pics.

For those metric freaks

Kiddo took pics by turning the key. Only half of those lights light up during normal driving. Waiting for the pumpkin to pop to do next. Rather do N/A when I do. Just scratching the surface on mods in my garage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Keep an eye on the timing chains. Mine skipped at at around 200k. I forget. I have the procedure to check the slack which includes removing the engine mount dogbone, miscellaneous accessories, ....which if you do all that is close enough to just change them while you are in there.

[URL=http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/2006SIMC/SI%20Biche%20008_zps6jsxzr1w.jpg]image
[/URL]
For those metric freaks
[URL=http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/2006SIMC/SI%20Biche%20009_zpszg5z9ceb.jpg]image
[/URL]
Kiddo took pics by turning the key. Only half of those lights light up during normal driving. Waiting for the pumpkin to pop to do next. Rather do N/A when I do. Just scratching the surface on mods in my garage.
Holy Sh*T! So much props to you!:clapping: You're now my inspiration lol

·
Registered
227 Posts

[URL=http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/2006SIMC/SI%20Biche%20008_zps6jsxzr1w.jpg]image
[/URL]
For those metric freaks
[URL=http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/2006SIMC/SI%20Biche%20009_zpszg5z9ceb.jpg]image
[/URL]
What kind of mods have you done to your Si over the years of ownership?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Holy ****. No real issues other than skipped chain?
It is a 2006 SI so I lived the 3rd gear transmission rebuild. Fought the Honda and the Honda won. Had to pay in the day because I had so many miles so quick. I at least have friends where they did parts at cost and they put alll new synchro's in (yep even the counter shaft synchro's) and it has been bullet proof since.

Stock battery until 200k+, alternator till 250k+ and only because it sat for 4 months outside, A/C compressor became one non-rotating piece (no not just the clucth) so out it came and into the steel scrap pile. [2] cruise control button systems.

I have gone thru a lot of tires, brake systems, oil, etc. but the engine is an engineering work of art to me. I think it likes to be ridden hard.

From my garage - Takeda SRI, XLR8 HFC Cat, Q300 Ti Catback, ACT Streetlite Flywheel (get one - it is the funnest mod ever), Excedy Clutch, Unorthodox lightweight crank pulley, A/C Bypass, A/C!, FlashPro, Kirby Speed Bleeders, StopTech STR 6000 DOT4 Brake Fluid, XLR8 SS Brake Lines. - ? Stage 1 beginner level? lol

Spring shopping list includes yellow koni's and new suspension bushings all around.

Looking forward to the next motor and next level of mods. Can't get myself to replace something that delivers the goods until she gives.

·
Registered
360 Posts
WOW! Congrats on the high mileage and keeping her going strong. That is very encouraging to us... Do you redline the car? How often?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts

[/URL]
For those metric freaks
[/URL]

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is a Honda, having owned numerous Honda Civic's over the past 22'ish yrs, I expect to get plenty past 100K miles out of my 07 Civic Si. I sold my 92 Civic Si with 309K miles in order to buy my current Si, I just gave in and sold my 99 Civic with 306K miles on all original engine and trans, no rebuilt parts. It's a combination of engineering and how you maintain the car, I drove/drive all of my cars hard.

·
Registered
122 Posts
All these posts talking about them getting past 100k miles... this seems like a gross underestimation of what these cars are capable of. I'm at 118,200 miles with IHE (factory tune.. flashpro in the works, shoulda been my first mod, I know) and from what I can tell- factory clutch, timing chain, never had a valve adjustment.

I bought the car with 80,000 miles (09' FA5 Si, I traded an 08' Jeep wrangler for it so you can imagine the difference in capability) and it sees VTEC and a solid red shift light at least every other day especially on the way to work. I don't beat the hell out of it like constantly slapping the limiter thru the gears and such but I definitely stretch its legs on occasion. Waltz out on the highway and pile thru the cloverleaf and give a good pull thru 2nd and 3rd... never fails to put a smile on my face.

I use Mobile 1 5W-30 synthetic with a Mobile 1 filter and change it at or before 20% on the oil life indicator. This car runs incredibly strong for its miniscule 2 liters and its a damn BLAST to have out on a curvy road or open stretch of highway and if it chokes and dies, I will revive it. Theres not many cars out there this nimble, quick and practical especially once you get into the tuning aspect.

Driving this car feels so natural, and I love it. Be it leisurely cruising or shift light flashing ass hauling tunnel blasting tire chirping corner eating madness. I don't care how many miles this motor gets to before it needs major work or tearing into- I'll be keeping it around for years to come.

and sorry for the long post.. had a passionate moment LOL

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just have to echo what others have posted its almost foolproof except you have to check the oil more than most cars however most cars aren't designed to rev to 8k (little over 8k for flashpro owners) I bought my FA5 new in 08 I drive it like I stole it. It burns at least one quart of oil between changes its a common trait of the k20 esp if you keep it in vetch a lot so check your oil regular I do it every time I add gas. I started by using Royal Purple only but thought perhaps a different oil would use less oil . Wrong the oil use seems to be related to high revving

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've gone an oil change where a full quart and a half had vanished and then I've gone a change where it didn't consume any at all.. I'm not sure what that's about- guess sometimes its hungry and sometimes it aint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm noticing oil consumption too on my <100K Si. I'm the original owner and have used full synthetic since new (Penzoil PP, Ultra Platinum or most recently PP High Mileage 5W-30).

Using about 1.5 qt per change. Tends to be far less consumption in the first 2K miles and after that I see steady increase. Have reduced OCI from around 7K to 5K intervals as preventative maintenance.

Don't beat on it, but see VTEC often. Also, daily commute includes about 30 miles (round trip) of highway driving @ 75-85mph.

·
Registered
83 Posts
112k on a 07. Ive only had it for afew thousand miles but I have not experienced any engine issues. I bet the car day to day and just stay ontop of my oil. I run Mobil-1 with a A01 filter. Ive done two oil changes at around 4k miles (oil life indicator was below 20%) and changed it. The oil still looked good but Id rather spend the money on oil then a new engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 145k and all I've had to do was fix my front driver's side strut mount (<$100 and 1 hrs time), oil changes, fluids, spark plugs, and I drive her hard at 85-90 mph every day for 3 years. Suspension has no squeeks anymore since the strut mount. Car feels solid.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
175k on my 2002 RSX-S when I sold it, and the engine still ran strong. Oil consumption was manageable (roughly 1qt between changes). I bought it with 135k from a man who didn't know much about cars (it had an SRI, for god's sake), and I didn't baby it either. Were it not for the combination of other large repairs it needed, and the fact that rust had set in, I'd probably still be driving it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep checking the oil between oil changes. The more you drive high revs, the more you need to be diligent about checking oil. a quart plus low at high g and high rpm is the fastest way to killing a K20

·
Registered
44 Posts
Old thread I know, bought a 07 FA5 w 160k. Runs every bit as strong as the FG2 I totalled when it had 80k. Absolutely love these cars. Anyway, my new ride burnt through a little over a quart in 2000 miles since changing it w Mobil 1 full synthetic. Probably going to check it every other fill up at the gas station as recommended and keep some 5W-30 on hand.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts