8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now everyone says that 'its a honda' it'll last 2-300k miles and keep on like a champ... But these engines with their high RPM SHOULD fail sooner due to the extra strain being put on them...

I know of S2000 owners that didn't get 100k out of their cars, and these are older guys who don't abuse them, keep them well maintained...

Since these cars are new since 06, there isn't alot of empirical evidence, and those that DO CLAIM high miles on their ODO usually have them through extended HWY driving (long commutes that rack up huge miles - but put relatively less strain on the engine than typical mixed driving conditions)

If you were to put a number between say 100,000 and 300,000 miles of engine life, where do you think the Si would fall in that spectrum...

This is an average guess, presuming you kept up with regular fluid maintenance and inspections....

WHatcha think?

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
depends on SO SO many factors.

you cannot really calculate it. I mean not every engine is created equal out of the Box, and then factor in Climate, area driven, number of short trips/long trips, maintenance ETC Etc the list goes on.

I would say the Si will last 100,000+ though

·
Registered
245 Posts
Use good oil, maintain it properly and it should last as long as your not running it in constant v-tec for extended periods of time on a daily basis which will shorten the time to a rebuild.

If one person granny drives it at low rpm's all the time I'm sure all other things equal it will last longer. Personally I like to Drive my car which is why I bought the Si so if it needs a re-build/overhaul sooner so be it. I just run Royal Purple and change the oil regularly and use good gas. I plan on eventually getting the engine built anyways if I can ever afford it in this volatile economy.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use good oil, maintain it properly and it should last as long as your not running it in constant v-tec for extended periods of time on a daily basis which will shorten the time to a rebuild.

If one person granny drives it at low rpm's all the time I'm sure all other things equal it will last longer. Personally I like to Drive my car which is why I bought the Si so if it needs a re-build/overhaul sooner so be it. I just run Royal Purple and change the oil regularly and use good gas. I plan on eventually getting the engine built anyways if I can ever afford it in this volatile economy.
Debating whether my long term strategy for this car is to hold it and have it as a side car to run into the ground, or to get rid of it an move up in a year or so...

I run M1 in it and good gas, it will be well maintained.. I don't beat on it, but i have fun with it..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
my guess is that these cars will last just as long as integ gsr's and b16 civics

probably wouldn't have to rebuild until 300,000, but if i want to have the power of a fresher engine ill end up rebuilding it (or building it up should i say) after 150,000-200,000 miles

thats the way i see it going down in my head at least :cheerleader::vtec:

·
Registered
129 Posts
my guess is that with proper maintenance the k20 should last around 150k miles. I dont know how much longer it would last after 150k miles. I am pretty confident that most k20 will make over 100k miles.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
You guys make it sound like after 150K the engine will just blow up and die. That is not the case.
With proper maintenance, the engine will keep spinning until something breaks. Fix it, and it'll keep goin' and goin'.
Im sure with loads of spirited driving and plenty of track/drag strip/auto cross abuse the piston rings will be fried @ around 100-150K (maybe longer, this is a Honda non the less) but replace the rings, resurface the cylinder walls and the engine will keep going.

A buddy of mine bought a 95 accord with 230K on the stock motor, installed your ave I/H/E and some mild cams and head work and is enjoying it every chance he gets. Sure it shots out enough smoke to fog up an intersection to where you can't sell him in front of you, but the thing is still driving!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
depends on SO SO many factors.

you cannot really calculate it. I mean not every engine is created equal out of the Box, and then factor in Climate, area driven, number of short trips/long trips, maintenance ETC Etc the list goes on.

I would say the Si will last 100,000+ though
perfectly said.

now, i do think the whole 300k miles for a civic thing is exaggerated, especially when some make it seem like it's automatic. then they will claim an american car will struggle to hit 100k? please.

do you really want your car that long anyways? not only will it be over 10 years old by the time it hits these high mileages, but i would think a lot of things would go wrong before major engine components. and if you don't mind a 10+ year old car, then i would think you're the type who just wants a car that runs, and don't give a damn about anything else, so why did you get the si in the first place?

all you have to do is look at an early to mid 90's civic si, or similar, and ask yourself if you'd be happy if you currently owned one. hell, what happen to your last car you gave up for the si? it ran right? well then why don't you still drive it? exactly. 100k miles is all i need the si to last, if that, and we know most any car can surpass that without needing thousands in repairs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i know a guy with 230k on a 2003 civic sedan. now of course it isnt a hipo si, but all hes had to do is oil changes and timing belts. that said, it drives like new!

im hoping it lasts a long time, i do about 25k miles a year, and yes i will be driving it like it was meant to be driven.

i'd say 150,000 miles no problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just past 150,000 now. I do worry about how long the engine will last though.
mines runs great and i sent my oil in for analysis. i thought id keep this car for 150,000 and than get a new car, but feel that these engines are kinda unique for its price range so ill keep it longer

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 95k on mine and had it in the local Honda dealer over the weekend for Rear Brakes, oil change and Transmission fluid change. The Tech came out and said there was no issues with the car and wouldn't mind finding on himself. He added as long as you keep up on oil changes and coolant changes your timing chain should never give you any problems. I do keep up regualr service.

I had a 90 Si back in the day that ran like a champ still when I sold it with 288k on it. I would think that if you keep up on maintenance you could expect the same on our gen Si's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They'll run as long as you want them as respect and take care of them! My 07 Si Sedan is at 210,000, autocrossed monthly for the past five years, and runs like the day i purchased it! The styling is almost ten years old, but it's still a great looking car and a blast to drive.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
read that k20's are over engineered.

they are meant to high rev and still take you across country with 200k miles on the engine.

I still see em2's and preludes with 200k+ miles. All they do is basic maintenance/use good oil.

I got 103,000 on mine. Nothing but oil/brakes/fluid changes. Pretty sure the chassis will break in half before this engine decides to call it quits. I dont even track or live in vtec (unless i'm merging/tunnel eargasm runs).

With the addition of flashpro on these cars, it's a blast to drive.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts