8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article that mentioned how easy it is to starve the 2006+ Si's oil pump by pulling high G's and it reminded me of when my oil light came on while I was having a bit too much fun on a strip of asphalt or whatever it was.

I was taking very tight turns, nearly drifting in wet conditions and at fairly low speeds (slower than 30 MPH for sure) when after nearly spinning out of control and stopping [as in: the car was going sideways before it stopped. as in: discovering the Si's handling limits the practical way] my oil light came on. Of course I immediately turned off the engine, waited a few seconds, switched it back to ON for a few more seconds and then started up again. Nothing. No problems ever since. I had even forgotten about it, but this article reminded me.

Anyone else have similar experiences with the oil pump? I am really not worried about my car, except it would be something to look at for someone going for the big track. I'm now fairly sure those asian drift shows have cars with upgraded pumps :D .

Also, for anyone interested, I believe the engine was under moderate load and fairly low (<4000) RPM when it happened.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i had to stop suddenly for an accident that occurred directly infront of me and my car....and I noticedthe same thing ....my oil light came on but once stopped the light immediately went off. I didnt get a chance to turn the car off like you but I immediately thought of this. You would think with a performace oriented vehicle that alittle more thought would have gone into the r&d of such an important component of the engine.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I recently read an article that mentioned how easy it is to starve the 2006+ Si's oil pump by pulling high G's and it reminded me of when my oil light came on while I was having a bit too much fun on a strip of asphalt or whatever it was.

I was taking very tight turns, nearly drifting in wet conditions and at fairly low speeds (slower than 30 MPH for sure) when after nearly spinning out of control and stopping [as in: the car was going sideways before it stopped. as in: discovering the Si's handling limits the practical way] my oil light came on. Of course I immediately turned off the engine, waited a few seconds, switched it back to ON for a few more seconds and then started up again. Nothing. No problems ever since. I had even forgotten about it, but this article reminded me.

Anyone else have similar experiences with the oil pump? I am really not worried about my car, except it would be something to look at for someone going for the big track. I'm now fairly sure those asian drift shows have cars with upgraded pumps :D .

Also, for anyone interested, I believe the engine was under moderate load and fairly low (<4000) RPM when it happened.
when i had like 3000 miles on my car or somewhere around there, i went to drop my friend off at his car and it was right after a turn that a took kinda fast so i stopped and just happened to notice my oil light was on so i turned the car off immediately and checked my oil. it was about a quart low. i guess that plus turning hard made the light come on but my car dosent burn hardly any oil after the 5k mile mark so im not worried. basically, if your oil is topped off i dont think you will ever have a problem.

I dident read the article yet but on another note, some cars like the viper have a swinging oil pickup so instead of the pickup being away from the oil on a high g turn, the pickup swings so it still picks up the oil. pretty sweet and simple design!

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is definitely a reason for concern if you are going to be hitting the track, but at the correct oil level... it would take some pretty stupid driving to pull enough g's on the street to cause an issue. If you're seeing the oil light, your level must be low... or you've got a wicked level of street grip.

From my experience (and I've lost 2 K24's and 1 K20 due to oil starvation), you need to be pulling at least 1.0g for sustained periods to cause the issue.

On the two K24's we had a full baffle pan, in fact the best baffle pan available for the K-series. I was still seeing oil pressure falling to 20psi at 1.3g. The only way to get around it was to over fill the oil... but a lot (up to the twist on the dip stick). BTW, if you get a baffle pan, make sure it has a shield to prevent the oil from going up the chain cover. This problem will always show up first on left turns (in fact all cornering induced starvation issues I've had were on left turns).

Basically:

Street car at a track day (<1.0g) : Over fill your oil level

Track car (>1.0g) : Get a baffle pan and over fill

Track car (>1.2g) : Forget baffles, go dry sump like we should have!

Hope that helps,
-SWRT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.