594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they really increase Hp? And are they legal to have on a daily driver? =P

any info on these would be great

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm are they all universal fit? or do i have to find one made specially for the damn car =\ Also any recommendations on brands?

·
Registered
730 Posts
well they fit depending on intake and exshaust pipe size, so they are very universal. brand i dont have a clue, ide just go with what i could get from like borla, or magniflow.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If your state allows it, go without it. Rage Racing has a header that eliminates it for the RSX. Hopefully they come out with one for the SI, and the probably will.

·
Registered
730 Posts
There is no state in the U.S that the removal of a catalytic converter is legal. Most states have laws pertaining to it and also the clean air act prohibits it under federal jurisdiction. also its most likley too loud (above 90 i think?) if you take it off. it is illegal and you most likely will be caught by a police officer w/ a meter.

http://www.off-road.com/dodge/tech/13Mar91_Exhaust_Guidelines.htm

·
Registered
420 Posts
K-series motors have the infamous "cat in the header". Some people use shorty headers to keep their catylitic converter, but only gain a few horsepower. The best bet is to go with a race header, like the one in the store, which kind of functions as a header and downpipe in one. Although there are trade-offs. You won't pass inspection (I would just put the cat back on before inspection) and if Hondata makes a reflash for our cars (which they will) it isn't recommended to run the race header with the reflash as it causes the car to run dangerously lean. K-pro, which is tuneable, is fine though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
cat

The catalytic converter on my new Si ,
looks very much like the Random Tech
hiflo cat i installed on my 03 rsx-s. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
webby said:
increase - yes for sure
legal - yes

they are just designed better - higher flow - less backpressure
legal ONLY after your factory cat is no longer useable or damaged. Still the cops can give you trouble.

power gains are so-so.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
~racnjsn04~ said:
Well then ....ooooooops it damaged.
the best exhaust systems is a high-flow cat-back and a cat-less header. A test pipe is okay, so is a high-flow cat - but if you want to squeeze the most.. a race header is the only way to go. Depending on your state of tune, you may smell some exhaust fumes (mostly unburnt fuel) come inside the vehicle. That's how my eclipse was because I was running a little on the 'rich' side.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The new Si is equipped with a MAF (mass air flow) sensor that will automatically correct air/fuel levels, so running a race header WILL NOT make you run lean.
also the problem with K-PRO is IF they will get it out because DBW(drive by wire) prevents the use on the FG2. . . . .hopefully theyll find a way around it???

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well high flow cats are all different on all different kinds of cars.

Some cars will gain optimal hp on high flow cat and some won't... not sure about the Si. Also most high flow cats are designed well enough to pass inspection and not throw CEL some of the cheap ones will still throw a CEL.

Life on the hi-flow cats aren't as long as the stock catylic but if I could I would still replace it.... did they come out with one for the SI already?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts