8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone install a high flow cat on their car? If so, do you think it made as big or close to as big of a difference as a test pipe? I want a test pipe, but none of the shops in my area will make them. TIA

*Edit* What about gutting the cat that we have now? anyone have any luck?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the high flow cat on my car and I can tell the most difference at the top of the RPM range more than anything. It does help a little with torque in the mid-range (3-5k rpm), but I mostly feel it above 6500 rpm. Once you hit vtec, the higher the tach climbs the harder it pulls (harder than without). As far as against a test pipe i don't know. The stock cat "honeycomb" is about 10 inches long and very tightly bunched. The Random tech HFC "honeycomb" inside is only about 4 inches long and not as tight inside. Obviously a test pipe is nothing, but you are going to have the raceheader soot and smell, possibly louder exhaust note and possible loss of backpressure. I'm happy with the HFC. Coupled with the Injen CAI and Evo 2, in the words of Borat its: "Very NIIIIICE!!" :vtec:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Agreed!! Instant gratification with the R/T and the other bolt-ons mentioned..:vtec:

tmac1221 said:
I have the high flow cat on my car and I can tell the most difference at the top of the RPM range more than anything. It does help a little with torque in the mid-range (3-5k rpm), but I mostly feel it above 6500 rpm. Once you hit vtec, the higher the tach climbs the harder it pulls (harder than without). As far as against a test pipe i don't know. The stock cat "honeycomb" is about 10 inches long and very tightly bunched. The Random tech HFC "honeycomb" inside is only about 4 inches long and not as tight inside. Obviously a test pipe is nothing, but you are going to have the raceheader soot and smell, possibly louder exhaust note and possible loss of backpressure. I'm happy with the HFC. Coupled with the Injen CAI and Evo 2, in the words of Borat its: "Very NIIIIICE!!" :vtec:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, youve made my decision a bit easier. Oh, any dealer experiences with the high flow cat on? They cant void your warranty for that can they?

·
Registered
463 Posts
sure wish i could get my HFC on, ive had the car up twice and couldnt get it on. Bolts connecting my evo2 and the oem cat are ON THERE. Tried using a 180ftlb impact wrench after manhandling failed me. I gave up, decided to just wait until I get my Comptech header and then just do it all at once.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Demonis said:
sure wish i could get my HFC on, ive had the car up twice and couldnt get it on. Bolts connecting my evo2 and the oem cat are ON THERE. Tried using a 180ftlb impact wrench after manhandling failed me. I gave up, decided to just wait until I get my Comptech header and then just do it all at once.
You are going to have to cut them off. I had to cut one of mine.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
There is a high flow for around $70 or $100 (magnaflow I think) but it needs to be welded, and welding shouldn't cost $250.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
just got a random tech off of ebay. im looking forward to getting it and bolting it up to my comptech header and exhaust. have any of u guys gotten a cel? its great to hear the good things from the hfc because i was alittle reserved in buying it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with throwing a CEL with a highflow cat? A couple people on another forum were talking about getting a CEL because of reduced back pressure. Had something to do with smog.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
just got a random tech off of ebay. im looking forward to getting it and bolting it up to my comptech header and exhaust. have any of u guys gotten a cel? its great to hear the good things from the hfc because i was alittle reserved in buying it.
2k miles, no defouler, no cel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts