8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase a set of 10k hids for my car, i install them and everything was good until last night that i turn them on and the passanger side turn on and then went off, like if it was not getting electricity, so i look under the hood and all the cables are on and good, i give it another try and they turn on likw normal.

this has happen when the car is off only, does the car being on have anything to do with this? if it does i don't know why if the driver side turns on good when the car if off.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Izzy said:
Do you have a harness? If so, check the relay. If not, it may be the start-up power draw killing the charge. Don't quote me on that though.
harness? the box that came with the hids? i have them plug on where the 9006 stock bulb was getting the energy from, they work fine sometimes, but sometimes i try showing them to friends without turning the car on and that happens, but only like on 40% of the time.

will not having the car on make this happen?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'd try and avoid turning HIDs on when the car isn't running, just because when you start it, they tend to flicker. But Izzy may be right that the start-up power is killing the charge to ballast...but again, I'm not sure...the stock harness could be having issues sending power when the car's not running. I've heard of a few people with this same issue...but I can't remember how they fixed it..

My suggestion:
get a relay harness, or make one.

I made mine with $35 and a few hours time...worked fine, no problems, no flickers. hope that helps

PS: If it's too small of an image, I can e-mail you a larger copy

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HondaFREAK said:
I'd try and avoid turning HIDs on when the car isn't running, just because when you start it, they tend to flicker. But Izzy may be right that the start-up power is killing the charge to ballast...but again, I'm not sure...the stock harness could be having issues sending power when the car's not running. I've heard of a few people with this same issue...but I can't remember how they fixed it..

My suggestion:
get a relay harness, or make one.

I made mine with $35 and a few hours time...worked fine, no problems, no flickers. hope that helps

PS: If it's too small of an image, I can e-mail you a larger copy

How do i make a relay harness and where does it go to? am sorry am a big noobs when it comes to hids or lights.

am going to keep them the way they are, and am going to only turn them on when the car is on, if they still mess up on me am going to have to do that.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Civic Pride said:
How do i make a relay harness and where does it go to? am sorry am a big noobs when it comes to hids or lights.

am going to keep them the way they are, and am going to only turn them on when the car is on, if they still mess up on me am going to have to do that.
If you're looking for a ballast, just buy these: http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=50

The relay essentially allows you to put a relay in-line, and instead of using the wiring from the headlights -- it connects to the battery. Basically, the only real use for the OEM wiring is to signal the lights to turn on. This puts less strain on your OEM wiring, and allows you to change the fuse on the relay if the ballasts surge and break the fuse.

Yodums is right too, it may be a faulty ballast. However, those symptoms sounds like it's trying to get power. Switching the ballast is free, so do that first. In fact, it's recommended with any HID trouble shooting to try switching your ballasts first.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
ok since we are on the topic here hopefully i also can get some help...

I purchased some Hid's and i connected them and everything worked fine but then my left one went out......I was like @#$^ but w/e so I ordered a replacement and installed and now neither work!!! i checked the fuses and everything seems fine. Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
That sounds like a wiring problem too. Again, try switching out the ballasts with the other side. Don't put the other ballast on the opposite side, but put the bad ballast on the opposite side to see if it will still fire up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts