8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just picked up a pair of 6000K HIDs and i was wondering if they're legal or atleast not too heaty for the cops in BC? I heard 4300k is the safer side, so am i going to high on the 6000K?
facts and opinions are welcome!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good, dont wanna be drivin around like a moving target haha thanks!
are you on projectors or oem set up?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
A bunch of the crew has anything from 4300k to 8000k and I'm 99% sure no one has ever had an issue with them being in the OEM/projector housing!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
While hids are technically illegal for any car that didnt originally come with them you probably wont be hassled for them if they arent too blue/purple or if they dont have too much glare.
Maurice's 6k's were "almost" too blue according to a very nice white rock police officer

·
Registered
333 Posts
HIDs are illegal in many instances. Unless they came with the car from the factory, they have not been DOT approved. If you look, they are suitable for "show appearances or off road" use. You can still use them, but the risk is that of the driver. Some car companies have in the past used HIDs in a reflector style headlight, so it can be argued that the same technology can be applied in our headlights.

The only problem is that the reflector may or may not be able to handle the extra light output, thus creating hotspots and glare. There has not been sufficient time for DOT to perform proper studies to ensure whether or not HIDs can be applied in multiple styles of headlights, let alone the 8th gen civic. Hence why there are currently not legal.

While hids are technically illegal for any car that didnt originally come with them you probably wont be hassled for them if they arent too blue/purple or if they dont have too much glare.
Maurice's 6k's were "almost" too blue according to a very nice white rock police officer
I think that the officer was referring to his LED strip which was bluish. Maurice was running his DDM kit which was either 4500 or 5000K, which was white during the time the officer was there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet thanks for the info guys, planning on putting them on tomorrow. its just a concern since i've been pulled over for some quite odd reasons including looking too young to be driving.:readtherules:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Ryan..barricade is right..it wasnt my 6k hids.. during the white rock meet i was using 4500k hids on my low beam....the too blue that the cop noticed was my leds on the bumper but my leds are not too blue.. its kinda whitish blue but not as blue as their blinkers...

@Clyde ive been using 6k low and 6k fogs for like 3-4months before then i switched to 4500k low and 3k fogs.. and now im using 6k low and 3k fogs.. so far no problems yet.. the only problem was the one Ryan33 mentioned.. the one in whiterock meet which was my leds though..

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
sweet thanks for the info guys, planning on putting them on tomorrow. its just a concern since i've been pulled over for some quite odd reasons including looking too young to be driving.:readtherules:
:pics:eek:f u standing next to your car please........I have never heard of getting yanked for looking to young for driving. :dance:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
:pics:eek:f u standing next to your car please........I have never heard of getting yanked for looking to young for driving. :dance:
hahah me neither i thought those talk were jokes, the officer actually followed me all the way to my work parking lot in the airport and didn't flash his lights until i got out of my car. funny i work at the airport and my manager reported the officer to airport security regarding company grounds and access to private parking lots.:readtherules::deadhorse: ill post up a pic sometime hahah. and he actually asked me "are you legally old enough to be operating this vehicle?"... :bsflag:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I have a pair of 8000K HIDs in my 92 civic and i got pulled over for having illegal headlights, i also live in a small town so they hate all hondas. now I have to get my car DOT tested before i can reinsure it, they didnt only get me for the headlights, but because of that they found my exhaust was "oversized" and i have LED 360 deg, bulbs in all my lights, aswell as bmw replica mirrors, apparently ALL illegal. anyone have any ideas if all of these are true? aswell as my car was 1 7/8" off the ground from the header and minimum is supposedly 2" so I was forced to buy stock suspension. thanks guys long story hahah

·
Registered
1 Posts
^ Basically any modification we do to our cars these days can and will be ridiculed under the BC MVA. The HIDs is probably what gave you away though. I'm guessing you need a VI done?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to have a 8000k Until i get pulled over unluckily...
That was the reason why they were standing at the highway entrance.lol
I had to get vehicle inspection done at that time. So i have 4300k now......just wanted make sure i'm safe....:)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ambient temp? we arent talking about celcius here man, its Kelvin.......LOL ambient temp

Anyway most here are right and some wrong. HID that were in reflectors like the older TL and CSX has cutoff shrouds around the bulb to cut glare from the bottom of the bulb, putting an HID bulb in a reflector will cause glare and just be annoying to everyone infront of your car.....Adding projectors to your set up not only uses the light output properly but looks better and even keeps the cops off of your ass, because if your blinding oncomming traffic your also blinding that cop driving the other way or infront of you.....but yea if the car didnt come with it its not "legal" so to say

1 - 19 of 19 Posts