8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know what the problem is all the connections are tight, i cant seem to figure out what it is i was thinking about swapping relays, but what its doing is when im driving it seems like when i hit a bump or just cruizin along the lights will get britter i dont ever notice them getting dimmer, just when they get brighter its a deffinet diffrence anybody have any input

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
ive said it once, and ill say it again. a $100 hid kit or a $300 hid kit, they are all crap. get OEM ballasts and you will get rid of your problems.

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
if they are flickerin, It has to do with a ground or a loose connection. Make sure the connection between your bulb and ballast is good.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
If both are flickering, check your grounds. If only one is flickering, then try switching your ballasts.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
As of an hour ago, my right one is doing the same thing. Needless to say, I'm freaking out. I have to drive to Texas on Monday. Anyone know where to get good ballasts FAST. And I mean like FedEX overnight.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Ouch. What ballasts are you using Dawn? Maybe striker can help out?

Did you check those connections yet?

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Yep. Connections are fine. I want to blame the weather but I never had a problem til I drove on PA's crappy roads today. I'm freaking out and loosing my temper every 5 minutes.

They're from a Toyota, don't know the model.

Denso D2R/D2S Part#DDLT002

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
I would check the connections from the Denso harness to you HID harness. It sounds like the connections have come a little loose. Vibrations will tend to loosen the crimps on the wires. Denso ballasts usually just dont go bad. But I have seen some before arch power between wires

Also MAKE sure the clip in the Denso is tight.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
caveman74 said:
I would check the connections from the Denso harness to you HID harness. It sounds like the connections have come a little loose. Vibrations will tend to loosen the crimps on the wires. Denso ballasts usually just dont go bad. But I have seen some before arch power between wires

Also MAKE sure the clip in the Denso is tight.

Is this for me or the other guy? Just wondering. I checked the harness on the right one and believe me, that bad boy is in for life. I hear what sounds like arching. You know, the snapping and such. But my experience is with aircraft not cars. For all I know, it's something internal in the ballast that is making that noise. I'm about to drive to Lexus in the morning and get a replacement. I have to drive to Texas on Monday so I'm pissed.

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
atruhondagrl said:
Is this for me or the other guy? Just wondering. I checked the harness on the right one and believe me, that bad boy is in for life. I hear what sounds like arching. You know, the snapping and such. But my experience is with aircraft not cars. For all I know, it's something internal in the ballast that is making that noise. I'm about to drive to Lexus in the morning and get a replacement. I have to drive to Texas on Monday so I'm pissed.

If you are arching then you need a new ballast.. That is what I posted above. The arching is coming from the NEG & POS on the wires going to the ballast. There may be a small cut in the wires. Unless you have a spare bulb connector for a Denso, then you are screwed. I have had to replace 2 from arching.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
caveman74 said:
If you are arching then you need a new ballast.. That is what I posted above. The arching is coming from the NEG & POS on the wires going to the ballast. There may be a small cut in the wires. Unless you have a spare bulb connector for a Denso, then you are screwed. I have had to replace 2 from arching.

Is this something that would just come out of nowhere? It just seemed to pop out of thin air. Trust me, I check every light on this thing almost twice a week. I pulled the bumper off and checked the wires with the light on, I heard the snapping but saw nothing. Again, I'm used to Navy aircraft doing this in a large "Get the hell of here and turn that thing off! Pull the plug" manner. Complete with fire. :D

I appreciate your guidance on this. I care too much about this car to take it lightly.

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
If you can hear it arching, It is coming from the wires. It must be something with Denso's wires. They are not thick and somewhat rubbery. Denso's are great ballasts, but this has become a commen thing for them. I dont know whats the cause, But there just isnt a fix unless you take the screen around the wires and shield them with electrical tape.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
caveman74 said:
If you can hear it arching, It is coming from the wires. It must be something with Denso's wires. They are not thick and somewhat rubbery. Denso's are great ballasts, but this has become a commen thing for them. I dont know whats the cause, But there just isnt a fix unless you take the screen around the wires and shield them with electrical tape.
Thats the thing, they have the screen, just not the tape. Think I should try that tomorrow? Lord knows I have enough. I went on a rampage at Autozone earlier.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I hope you fix this up soon, Dawn. If you're like me about the HIDs, stock isn't good enough!

My Denso's are still good, knock on wood! Going for over a year, and nary a flicker.

·
Registered
350 Posts
mine were doing the same flickering thing....its like NIGHTHAWKSI said its a cheap HID kit...its your ballast that is messed up the bulbs are perfectly fine but you'll have to replace the ballast

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
the thing about the denso's is that the metal itself surrounding the ballasts can act as a ground itself. In case you have a bumpy road, if the ballast is not touching the chassis then it's okay. But when it does touch the chassis they can cause damage to the internals.
Lexus/toyota and mazda have replacement ballasts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts