8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as u know there are huge quarrels all over the internet about retrofitting being better, and while yes it is better, its most of the time not worth the money
unless of course u happen upon a scratch ticket and u win :-D
lol im serious, not a whole lot of money but might be enough for a retrofit
being that i am me, and i am difficult i want to retrofit my headlights myself!! lol
So heres the questions:
What projectors on the market offer the best cutoff for the price?
Where can I look into purchasing them?
Is there any guides on how to retrofit lights (most likely not but its worth a shot)
What projectors shoot the farthest?
What price ranges are expected?

Ive seen on ebay TSX projectors (the most commonly used from what ive seen) sell for only 150!!!! that doesnt sound to bad to me but i could be wrong, and like i said, if theres something better, please let me know.

A little warning to some who will prolly respond anyways:
DO NOT RESPOND WITH OPINIONS unless called for. Only respond with evidence that u have to back it up your statements. If your willing to help, kudos to you. If your willing to be snide, get lost :police:
I already know 2 people who are gonna respond and will respond with no evidence only to bad mouth me for something random, u know who u are dont bother

Thanks people

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
The TSX projectors are good, like you you know they can be found on ebay, but you will also need the ballast and the bulbs.. and some sort of shrouds to go with the projectors..

There is a DIY on here just search for it on the forum.

It will not be easy, and it will take time.. if you know how to do it, you are looking at about $400 including everything needed.. or cheaper depends on where you buy the stuff..

I hope that helps..

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
From what I've seen HIDPlanet.com's forum is very well organized, especially their classifieds. For the most part, most of their for sale ads has a very clear image attached. If it's bulbs, some will show that the bulbs are working by using a portable energy source.

As you mentioned though, TSX projectors are popular because they aren't necessarily expensive and can be modded to project very well.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
What projectors on the market offer the best cutoff for the price?
TSX. Fairly cheap, as you can see on eBay. One caveat is that the clear lens projectors are getting harder and harder to find, since the TSX itself changed from clear lenses early on to fresnel type lenses (frosted) later on. There's also the much cheaper E46 option, but those aren't very good as far as output. (IF I ever get an 2001-2006 M3, I'd retrofit it still, the cutoff isn't very nice IMHO)

Where can I look into purchasing them?
I purchased my projectors on eBay, IIRC. I did most of my shopping in between HIDPlanet and eBay. You may also want to PM strike_1818 to see if he can help you out! As Yodums said, HIDPlanet is nicely organized for the most part, and would be an awesome place to start.

Is there any guides on how to retrofit lights (most likely not but its worth a shot)
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1641622 is a link to a DIY right here in 8thcivic. Or, HIDPlanet's "University" section is also a great place to start!

What projectors shoot the farthest?
That's up to some speculation, as hybrids are becoming VERY popular. For a fully OEM projector, I think I would still give that to either the S2k (AP1) Projectors or the TL Projectors. Then again, TLs don't fit (as people keep telling me :D) The ultimate for me (even though it doens't fit) would be TL + ZKW clear lens. Tim and eSeYe currently have the TFX set-up, which is ABSOLUTELY sharp as a knife, and fairly wide, as I can see. I'd say a good 2ft. wider in either Left or Right direction if I'm comparing my beam pattern to theirs at similar distances, from the pictures they took.

What price ranges are expected?
I paid for everything, including the labor for the retrofit from CustomLightz. AND a new set of headlights. Everything came around 1100. That's about 3x the price I paid for a XenonDepot Kit about 3 years ago. Worth every penny. Of course, now that people are willing to let people borrow "loaner sets", I could have pushed down cost to around or less than 900.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i do like that retro DIY, i dont know why it wasnt in the DIY thread for lighting lol
an admin needs to put that up there, cause thats all the info i need for that

Im prolly due to price gonna pick up TSX headlights (the full headlights) so i can get decent shrouds too

My main concern is distance they will shoot, i do ALOT of highway driving, and i need more light str8 out than i do on the ground right in front of me...I was just gonna do plug and play and fogs, and thats gonna put more light out there, but i fear they wont be aimed far enough for me

if it comes down to it, i may build my own projector housing!!! (now that i know what is in it.. nothing special of course) if i can get my hands on some cad drawings that would be pimp, otherwise im gonna play with the idea lol

well see, this is a summer project im researching now
obviously because of ease id rather just purchase someones already retrofitted headlights, but i cant find a good deal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts