8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sometimes when I turn my lights on one of them doesn't come on. (this only happens when it's really cold). So in order to get it on I have to keep flicking the lights on and off a few times. But when I do that, the VSA and ABS light comes on in the dashboard display.

wtf?

So, to remedy that problem, I simply shut the car off, and turn it back on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well sometimes when I turn my lights on one of them doesn't come on. (this only happens when it's really cold). So in order to get it on I have to keep flicking the lights on and off a few times. But when I do that, the VSA and ABS light comes on in the dashboard display.

wtf?

So, to remedy that problem, I simply shut the car off, and turn it back on.

sounds like your igniter is going. hid's require a brief startup voltage to ignite the gas in the tube and if it doesn't get that startup voltage you will normally see the tube very very dim and it will flicker sometimes but never ignite. we get this problem at work all the time with our hid lighting (i'm an electrician). as far as the vsa and abs light, that is a whole different story, you may have connection issues there.

oh and turning the other light on and off (the one that works) greatly reduces the life of the working bulb, so you may want to replace the one messed up ballast before you burn the other bulb and ballast out too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I had this problem as well, do you run a relay harness? If so you should check the relay for corrosion. This exact problem happened to me, my passenger side light would not fire up for a good 10-15 minutes if it was cold outside. So I took the bumper off and checked the relays and sure enough there was a significant amount of corrosion. I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and packed it with dielectric grease and have never had a problem since. I did this to all 4 relays even the ones that weren't corroded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i've been using HID kits for years and the best kit i have come across for the price is the T-View HID conversion kit, it comes with a digital controller that only uses your stock wiring as a control to switch a relay instead of firing a ballast. I've found this problem with my SI not having a good enough stock lighting curcuit and the bulbs not starting. The best way to do it is with relays IMO, less stress on the ballast and bulbs with a straight connection to the battery for power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.