8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to install a hid conversion on ur daytime runing lights and still work? i live in canada where it's always on unless u turn on ur low beams..
i think the reason for this is because its not givin it enough power, but is there a way to get it workin?

·
Banned
4,080 Posts
DRL's are to help you 'be seen' not to see with, so theres no point getting HID's - they won't work, and if they do, you may as well be highbeaming people 24/7

If you want color difference.. then just get coloured bulbs

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you really want, drive the HID with a relay harness. Use a capacitor to smooth out the DRL if you want to trigger the relay with DRL.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
*facepalm*

Just drive around all day with your high beams on, pissing people off. Now imagine it with lights that are over twice as bright.
That is how stupid HIDs for DRL use would be. Because you can't dim them, you'd have to use them at full power.

·
Banned
4,080 Posts
Isn't that a mugen RR u've shown?
That looks more like what my parkers look like with long exposure...

Honestly mate, jsut get blue tinted highbeams, and it'll be everything you're after

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I think you guys are really blowing this out of proportion. Its not like driving around with your High beams on at all. The way that the factory DRL/High beams work is a change in voltage making it brighter. A standard HID kit is just a single intensity just like if you had your headlights on. To get the drl kit to work you would use a relay to get a better voltage which would allow you to still get lights in both positions but no change in intensity.

My question is, why are you guys thinking its like riding around with your brights on?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think you guys are really blowing this out of proportion. Its not like driving around with your High beams on at all. The way that the factory DRL/High beams work is a change in voltage making it brighter. A standard HID kit is just a single intensity just like if you had your headlights on. To get the drl kit to work you would use a relay to get a better voltage which would allow you to still get lights in both positions but no change in intensity.

My question is, why are you guys thinking its like riding around with your brights on?
Because that's exactly what it would be. Assuming they work at all, which I somewhat doubt.

Outside of specific kits designed from the offset to be adjustable, you cannot dim HIDs. They're either on, or off. So they are completely incompatible with the PWM voltage our DRL function uses.

·
Banned
4,080 Posts
Are you positive of that because I really like the way those look in that pic and I want them now.
That pic is of the parkers only with a long exposure on the camera, they really aren't bright.

Because that's exactly what it would be. Assuming they work at all, which I somewhat doubt.

Outside of specific kits designed from the offset to be adjustable, you cannot dim HIDs. They're either on, or off. So they are completely incompatible with the PWM voltage our DRL function uses.
i second this

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Well Im sorry, but you are wrong. There are no reason once so ever that they would not work. Ive worked in the 12v industry from half of my life and I can say with full confidence that it would be fine. There are many ways to wire the ballasts where they would work just like the ones for your lowbeams.

As for the brightness, HIDs can only light up one brightness unless you get the dual filament kits. If you have a 6000k kit for your headlights, you would have the same output in the DRL/highs.

I know you both seem pretty adamant about this topic but Im sorry your wrong.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm not questioning that you've worked in automotive wiring, but you seem to have a poor grasp of electronic ballasts and HID lighting.

When HIDs are dimmed significantly below rated power, they experience degradation in bulb life, colour, problems with flickering, or they may not light all together.
There ARE technologies for dimming them, as I stated earlier there are kits designed with a certain amount of variability, but just taking ~30% duty cycle 12v and feeding it to a standard ballast is not going to work.

But hey! I'm not stopping you. Please do hook up your nice HID kit to your high beams and leave the results here for all of us to enjoy.

·
Banned
4,080 Posts
Have you tried putting a fluorescent power saving globe in a variable brightness lamp?

It's the same with HID's is it not?

It starts to make a buzzing sound if you go too low...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well Im sorry, but you are wrong. There are no reason once so ever that they would not work. Ive worked in the 12v industry from half of my life and I can say with full confidence that it would be fine. There are many ways to wire the ballasts where they would work just like the ones for your lowbeams.

As for the brightness, HIDs can only light up one brightness unless you get the dual filament kits. If you have a 6000k kit for your headlights, you would have the same output in the DRL/highs.

I know you both seem pretty adamant about this topic but Im sorry your wrong.
Congrats. Now show us how you plan to make it work. Obama promised us change and you say with full confidence it will work...:badger:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts