8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here have hfp suspensions with lowering springs.. cuz i just got the hfp and im starting to feel like i wanna be lowered a lil bit more... but i dont want to put these to waste.. cuz the ride is nice... and i just wnana lower in inch more... anyone done this? any opinion?... dont tell me to get coils... thanks...

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
The only thing that detered me from doing this was the cost to replace the HFP struts if needed. Honda provides the end user with a great discount if you purchase the HFP Suspension as a whole. Rear shocks are sold separately, but the front struts are not. You need to purchase the whole macpherseom assembly for the fronts. Both front and rear are not cheap if purchased in that manor. I just didn't feel like dealing with purchasing in kit form and parting out the springs if I needed to replace the dampers.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
college hills honda... i got it....

the thing is ive heard a few things... lowering springs are always bad for ur shocks... but ive also heard that since HFP suspensions are already stiffer than normal oem shocks... adding lowering springs might be a pefect match... if u guys see any of those other posts lemme know...

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
college hills honda... i got it....

the thing is ive heard a few things... lowering springs are always bad for ur shocks... but ive also heard that since HFP suspensions are already stiffer than normal oem shocks... adding lowering springs might be a pefect match... if u guys see any of those other posts lemme know...
That is not true. Stiff doesn't mean the dampers will last longer. The shock itself is the same length as the stock dampers and if you put on lowering springs on the HFP is essentially putting the same amount of stress as putting it on the stock shocks. The life of the HFP will be less but the handling might not be as compensated as if you were to put it on stock suspension.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
That is not true. Stiff doesn't mean the dampers will last longer. The shock itself is the same length as the stock dampers and if you put on lowering springs on the HFP is essentially putting the same amount of stress as putting it on the stock shocks. The life of the HFP will be less but the handling might not be as compensated as if you were to put it on stock suspension.
Correction.

The over-all length of the HFP struts/ shocks are about an inch shorter to compensate for the shorter springs. The valving is adjusted for the higher spring rates. When looking at my pictures of the rear shocks, it seems to have a shorter body which should equate a shorter shaft as well. (see pictures) I seem to not have front comparison pictures.

Top: Stock FA5 Rear Shock; Bottom: HFP FA5 Rear Shock

Left: Stock FA5 Rear Spring; Right: HFP FA5 Rear Spring

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
If you want to sit alittle lower leave the springs and change the struts and shocks, one member here in Orlando did it with Skunk 2 replacements on the HFP springs and it sits a bit lower 1/2 inch or more and the ride is still smooth.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
anyone here have hfp suspensions with lowering springs.. cuz i just got the hfp and im starting to feel like i wanna be lowered a lil bit more... but i dont want to put these to waste.. cuz the ride is nice... and i just wnana lower in inch more... anyone done this? any opinion?... dont tell me to get coils... thanks...
i rather keep the hfp shocsk though =/ cuz wats the point of brinign over hfp springs if im getin coil overs...
What?

I think you already got the answer to your original question, more indepth than you even intended.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.