8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I finally got a big enough set to install my HFP Suspension myself 2K miles ago. Since 2 weeks ago, I have been hearing a rattle from the driver side rear. Long story short, I put my little brother in the trunk to see if he can hear where the noise was coming from. Driver side rear. The past 1.5-2 weeks the rattle would happen over certain slight "wash board" style bumps in the road. I swapped struts in the rear; moved driver to passenger side and vise versa. Rattle move to passanger side rear needless to say. Thank god.

I bought the kit in September 2007, installed in October 2007 and 2K miles later this happens. Did not have noise from beginning. Strut blown? Lower strut bushing? Strut internals?

I installed myself.
I bought kit from dealer in VA from Ebay. New in box, genuine Honda.

Should I call the dealer in VA or Local dealer for replacement under a workmanship warranty. (part itself became defective)

What are your thoughts about who I should call first?

I love the suspension, and I am glad after taking the rear suspension apart 5 times to locate this, I finally narrowed it down to the strut itself.

Input welcome!

2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan.

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
hmmmm, not sure Joe. if you decide to take it apart again, lemme know. i'd like to come take a look at it. i'll give my brother a call tomorrow and see what he thinks...:thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
WOW must be easy if you took it apart 5 times, do you still have to drop the lower controle arm like in the older ones?, now that the spring isnt on the shock?

i would call the guy that you bought it from. then the local dealer. it shouldnt matter where you get it installed they should cover the parts and you cover the labour(which is you anyway)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Chances are that if the dealer did not do the install they will not cover it under warranty. You will most likely have to speak directly with Honda America. Factory parts are only warrantied by the dealer if Honda does the install. Now you might get lucky and find a nice Honda dealer that will do the warranty work for you and then go to bat with Honda. But I would not count on it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I thought all Honda Genuine Parts and Accessories carried a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, no matter who installed them. If the dealer installs them then they attach to your 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty.

I'm not sure, but that is the way I understand it?

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chances are that if the dealer did not do the install they will not cover it under warranty. You will most likely have to speak directly with Honda America. Factory parts are only warrantied by the dealer if Honda does the install. Now you might get lucky and find a nice Honda dealer that will do the warranty work for you and then go to bat with Honda. But I would not count on it.
Right. I am not looking for them to warranty the install or labor, I would just like a new strut, being it is defective.

I need to find out America Honda Regional reps numbers.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought all Honda Genuine Parts and Accessories carried a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, no matter who installed them. If the dealer installs them then they attach to your 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty.

I'm not sure, but that is the way I understand it?
That is the way I understand it as well.

I am going to get a price for a new one as well.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's not true. If you have someone else do the install the parts are covered for 1 year instead of 3.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's not true. If you have someone else do the install the parts are covered for 1 year instead of 3.
I said dealer...I did not say Honda. Honda warranties their parts for 1yr/12k miles. But the dealerships tend not to horror the warranty unless they do the install. I dealt with this issue over my A-Spec suspension on my RSX. Acura (Honda America) covered the warranty, not the dealer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The dealership is required to honor Honda's warranty on the part itself if there is a defect. Look in your warranty booklet. Its all there in black and white. The dealership is the representative for Honda. They dealership doesn't warranty anything at all...Honda pays for all of it.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
I think honda of america should cover it, a strut going after only 2000 miles is unacceptable and most likely a manufacturing defect, regardless of if you, your dealer or CEO of Honda corp himself installed your strut it was defective so any dealer should be able to get you a new one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.