8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i got my taxes done, and uncle sam decided that I should get a late christmas present.... I just got back from my local honda dealership, where they ordered me a set of the HFP brakes for $540. They should be coming in next tuesday. With the money left over from my refund I am going to have the rotors cyro treated.

I am also going to have my calipers sanded down so they are smooth, then either paint or powder coat them... I was planning on bright red with white Honda vinyls, but others have suggested white with red honda and black with gold honda... any input would be appreciated...

I will keep the ocho posted on my updates with epic pics

Installed pictures and review on page two

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
UPDATE 04-08-09.

Well after weeks of dealing with both the powder coating company and the cryo treating company, which has left my mind numb, everything is complete.... I leave you with a shotty cell phone picture as my vehicle is extremely dirty and i dare not post pics up till its clean. until the enjoy.

Do you notice the sleek and sexy Goodrich stainless steel brake lines?

Update 02-19-09.

Woo:woowoo: the brakes came yesterday, and I must say they look awesome. I am going to contact the company tomorrow about having them cryo treated. stay tuned

here's some pics to hold you over

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
noob question...but what are the benefits of getting them cryo treated?
cyro treat cools metals to temperatures of -300oF which slows the molecules of the metal, and in turns changes their composition. Doing this drastically increases the metal's durability and strength.

here is the info provided by the company i hope to use Edwards Heat Treating Cryotune

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
cyro treat cools metals to temperatures of -300oF which slows the molecules of the metal, and in turns changes their composition. Doing this drastically increases the metal's durability and strength.

here is the info provided by the company i hope to use Edwards Heat Treating Cryotune
Very interesting...would this affect braking perfomance in any way?...or is it mainly to extend the life of the rotors? I also wonder if you were ever to machine the rotors (in the future when needed)...if they would maintain the same molecular consistency throughout the entire rotor...preventing you from needing to cryo treat them again...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting...would this affect braking perfomance in any way?...or is it mainly to extend the life of the rotors? I also wonder if you were ever to machine the rotors (in the future when needed)...if they would maintain the same molecular consistency throughout the entire rotor...preventing you from needing to cryo treat them again...
Im doing it mainly so I will never have to replace them, but I have heard that cryo treating rotors will do the following, increase the temperature the rotors can withstand, stabilize the metal so no uneven wear, fix or improve imperfections within the cast... in other words I can beat on them harder without worry of the rotors warping... this is just what i have read I dont have any first hand experience... and to compliment the new pads and rotors, i will be switching my brake fluid and changing over to stainless steel lines.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Im doing it mainly so I will never have to replace them, but I have heard that cryo treating rotors will do the following, increase the temperature the rotors can withstand, stabilize the metal so no uneven wear, fix or improve imperfections within the cast... in other words I can beat on them harder without worry of the rotors warping... this is just what i have read I dont have any first hand experience... and to compliment the new pads and rotors, i will be switching my brake fluid and changing over to stainless steel lines.
Good stuff :thumb: Hopefully, with the increased temperature resistance, it will allow you to last longer before seeing signs of brake fade caused by the rotors heating up too much...:wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
roughly how much ?
I was quoted $75.00 for all of my rotors, only problem is the process uses $800.00 worth of nitrogen to bring metals to -300, so now i have to wait until the company receives $725.00 more worth of orders before i can get it done... im willing to wait though since i need to order the lines and get the calipers done

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE 03-13-2009.
Okay my calipers are being powder coated as we speak, I ordered a set of Goodridge SS lines, and a set of black 'Honda' brake decals from grafix. Only problem is the cryo treating place STILL has not gotten enough orders, I was told to call back on monday to talk to the manager.... oh well, I am soooo excited to see how the calipers come out I will post pics as soon as i can

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cryo treatment works! I raced streetbikes for 8 years and in the last 2 years of racing a local cryo company sponsored us. We used to do pads and rotors. We went from replacing pads 3 times a year to once a year. not to mention everyone that rode our bikes raved about the brakes.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.