8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well did somebody loose a key.Well i did and i call the dealer to ask how much to replace a key, they told me is about $160. N i ask they wat if i buy a key like in ebay and let them laser cut it. they told me that it might not work. so can some body help me, if any of you. wen to buy a key to some one and go to the dealer to cut it and does it work?

·
Registered
637 Posts
yeah not only does it need to be laser cut but you also have to have it programmed to work with your immobilizer. You gotta pay for the key and labor... it sucks but what can u do (unless you know someone who works at a dealer)

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
yeah not only does it need to be laser cut but you also have to have it programmed to work with your immobilizer. You gotta pay for the key and labor... it sucks but what can u do (unless you know someone who works at a dealer)
Ditto. The key should have a V engraved on the shaft. It would then need to be cut for the car. After that, the dealer or someone with an HIM/HDS would need to add the keycode to the vehicle so that the immobilizer recognizes the code unique to that key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts