8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sorry if this is overly long or in the wrong forum, I'm new to this website.

I got a 2006 si from an individual about 1 or 2 months ago. While I've had the car the radio has been very wonky. The text will fade in and out, it changes stations and modes (am to FM to aux) on it's own, and the speakers will cut out and there will either be no sound or a very loud buzz.

I took a look behind the head unit and saw that the previous owner had spliced into the wires and there are remnants of other wires. I also took a look in the back and saw rca (left and right) cables that weren't attached to anything as well as a box from pacaudio.com that had rca inputs and some additional wires attached to it and the wiring for the center rear speaker. My guess as to what happened is the previous owner had put subs in the car, and took them out before selling me the car.

Attached are pictures of what I described in the trunk and behind the head unit. Any idea of what I can do to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you feel comfortable reading an electrical schematic and soldering wires? I'm afraid the previous owner did an extremely poor job of installing some aftermarket sound equipment and an even worse job removing it.

I'd guess the function jumping around is the loose wires for the steering wheel controls.

If it were my car, I'd grab the schematic, and then one by one determine which wire is which, reconnect and solder, and then move to the next wire. Will be painfully slow but probably the only way to get back to a reliably working radio.

If the "talented" previous owner damaged the connectors that go into the radio, you might be better off going to a salvage yard and buying a radio "pigtail" from a donor car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feel comfortable reading an electrical schematic and soldering wires? I'm afraid the previous owner did an extremely poor job of installing some aftermarket sound equipment and an even worse job removing it.

I'd guess the function jumping around is the loose wires for the steering wheel controls.

If it were my car, I'd grab the schematic, and then one by one determine which wire is which, reconnect and solder, and then move to the next wire. Will be painfully slow but probably the only way to get back to a reliably working radio.

If the "talented" previous owner damaged the connectors that go into the radio, you might be better off going to a salvage yard and buying a radio "pigtail" from a donor car.

Good luck!
It's probably something with the steering wheel controls as when the car bugs out the steering wheel controls don't do what they're supposed to. I may end up going to a junk yard anyway for headlights and a driver side seat as the previous owner messed with those as well. I'm perfectly fine with look at a schematic and messing with the wires. Thing is I'm not sure where I can get the wiring schematic. Could you help me with that?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can make a copy if my non-SI manual includes the SI radio/controls. It probably does. It is at home so I won't have it until the morning.

If you live near a Pull-a-Part type place, you might be able to snag a good portion of the harness for little $.

Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The previous owner has done some great work there. Im surprised youre having problems :whistle:

Is the stock radio still in or is it aftermarket? Im assuming its stock but just want to check.

So from doing a bit of research the PAC box is an line converter. My guess it was help power the subs he put in. If the subs aren't there any more then you can just get rid of it.

As for the rest of the wiring it is mangled but I think it is salvageable. The red and black wires that are cut are attached to the power and ground wires. The only wire im not sure of is the one that has all the insulation gone in the second to last picture.

The steering control problem is surprising. From what I can see he hadn't messed with those wires. The pink and brown wires in the first picture. The way the controls work is by measuring resistance. Each button has a different resistance and that is what the radio measures. Its possible the connector was just loose and was causing the issue. He also could have messed with wires in the steering wheel. Look up a video on how to take the airbag out. Its pretty easy to do.

Also just curious, what state do you live in? Ide be willing to help out if youre not too far away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The previous owner has done some great work there. Im surprised youre having problems :whistle:

Is the stock radio still in or is it aftermarket? Im assuming its stock but just want to check.

So from doing a bit of research the PAC box is an line converter. My guess it was help power the subs he put in. If the subs aren't there any more then you can just get rid of it.

As for the rest of the wiring it is mangled but I think it is salvageable. The red and black wires that are cut are attached to the power and ground wires. The only wire im not sure of is the one that has all the insulation gone in the second to last picture.

The steering control problem is surprising. From what I can see he hadn't messed with those wires. The pink and brown wires in the first picture. The way the controls work is by measuring resistance. Each button has a different resistance and that is what the radio measures. Its possible the connector was just loose and was causing the issue. He also could have messed with wires in the steering wheel. Look up a video on how to take the airbag out. Its pretty easy to do.

Also just curious, what state do you live in? Ide be willing to help out if youre not too far away.
Yeah right it's such a shocker lol

It's the stock radio, I was thinking about maybe getting an after market one after dealing with this one for a while but I wanted to see if it was salvageable before I went out and bought something.

I was somewhat confused about why the radio was changing modes and such after looking back there as I thought the red and black were power and ground respectively but I didn't know if these cables were color coded weirdly as I didnt have a pin layout or schematic. The steering wheel controls do go wonky when the radio is shorting out so maybe it does have to do something with them, it still happens after I retested the plugs. Would taking the airbag out be something I could do and have back together in an afternoon or something? I'm still in school so the amount of time have to work on the car is still somewhat limited.

I live in NC and I'm happy to have help but my time is pretty limit with school and all. I work on computers and electronics and such as a hobby so I'm confident in working on stuff on my own, it's just I'm very inexperienced when it comes to cars.

If you have any questions or need me to take pictures of anything else I'll be happy to do so. Thank y'all for the help you've given so far!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah right it's such a shocker lol

It's the stock radio, I was thinking about maybe getting an after market one after dealing with this one for a while but I wanted to see if it was salvageable before I went out and bought something.

I was somewhat confused about why the radio was changing modes and such after looking back there as I thought the red and black were power and ground respectively but I didn't know if these cables were color coded weirdly as I didnt have a pin layout or schematic. The steering wheel controls do go wonky when the radio is shorting out so maybe it does have to do something with them, it still happens after I retested the plugs. Would taking the airbag out be something I could do and have back together in an afternoon or something? I'm still in school so the amount of time have to work on the car is still somewhat limited.

I live in NC and I'm happy to have help but my time is pretty limit with school and all. I work on computers and electronics and such as a hobby so I'm confident in working on stuff on my own, it's just I'm very inexperienced when it comes to cars.

If you have any questions or need me to take pictures of anything else I'll be happy to do so. Thank y'all for the help you've given so far!
Good to hear you have some experience with electronics. First thing I would do is fix the the 2 wires he spliced off of. I would just cut and resoldering some new wire in where he spliced. With everything hes done too it the radio might also just be dieing. I would also clean up the wiring the he put on the sub in the trunk. Could be a short that is causing problems.

As for the wire thats completely broken, strip the brown insulation back a bit and see if you can find the original color.

To the take the air bag out youll only need a Philips screwdriver and Torx driver. I dont remember the size of the torx though. To take it off it doesnt take more than 10 minutes. The biggest issues is getting to the screws on the back of the wheel. I wouldn't do this unless fixing the other wiring hasn't solved it yet.

Sadly im in NH so not a short trek for me. Just thought it would be lucky if you were close by.

If that still doesnt fix the problem then I would look into an after market radio. I was lucky this summer and found a radio with the whole new dash piece to mount it in a junk yard. Sadly you have to replace that whole dash piece where the radio is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I found a video about how to take the air bag out (you were right it was really easy) and I took a picture of the connector. I detached the connector and turned the radio on to see if it was the steering wheel controls only to see the radio do the same thing it normally does.

A few things I feel like I should mention about when the radio messes up:
  • The text on the screen gets dim like its losing power when the radio messes up
  • When the radio cuts out it gives a loud pop through the speakers and the text on the screen goes away completely
  • When the text comes back there's no sound but you can switch through am, FM, and aux as well as stations.
  • Sometimes when the radio turns on and you're on AM and FM, there's static and it changes based on station and if you're in AM or FM but no music comes in even on known good stations.
Attached are pictures of the steering wheel and the radio when the text dims. I'll definitely look at the wiring behind the radio again when I have some more serious time. Thank you again for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Forgot to ask.....2 door SI correct? I seem to recall the 4 door SI wasn't made in 2006.

I will scan the schematics and attach.

As far as the manual, if you are talking about the owners manual, you can download a PDF of it online at Honda Owners Link. Service and wiring diagrams are not part of the owners manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to ask.....2 door SI correct? I seem to recall the 4 door SI wasn't made in 2006.

I will scan the schematics and attach.

As far as the manual, if you are talking about the owners manual, you can download a PDF of it online at Honda Owners Link. Service and wiring diagrams are not part of the owners manual.
Yeah it's a 2 door. Funny thing is, I actually just tried to look up the manual after seeing your post and found that website.

Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here you go...good luck.

Looks like the wiring behind the air bag was not touched, so perhaps fixing the wiring behind the radio will do the trick.

Let me know if you have any questions on the diagrams I sent. The connector view (#251) is probably the most important. I'd be worried that the previous owner might have messed with the connector so you might want to verify the right wire color is in the right hole.

Like SniperBlaize said, matching wire colors will hopefully get you working again. I do know from experience that sometimes car electronics that act flaky are often the result of bad grounds. So hopefully that will be the case here.

Let us know how you come out once you have time to work on it. Good luck in your classes.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I finally got some time to work with the radio. After finding other posts on the site with people having the same problem and testing another oe headunit in my car I've come to the conclusion that the radio itself is dead.

Instead of getting another stock headunit I've got 2 weeks of free time since the Carona virus shut down school over here so I'm gonna try and install an aftermarket one. I hope I'm not asking too much but do any of you guys have any suggests on a headunit? I want to try and do the amp integration I've seen on here and preferably want to have android auto. If there's any tips and tricks you guys want to share too that would be great!

Thanks again for all y'alls help

·
Registered
124 Posts
To do the amp trigger all you need to do is connect the light blue wire to the blue and white wire on the aftermarket harness.

The second is the humming. To fix it you need to connect the speakers to the RCA connectors on the back of the head unit. It has something to do with a different pre-amp. If you dont have any old RCA cables to cut up then go to a local audio shop or best buy and see if they have any extra connectors. I was able to get mine for free at my local best buy.

Another tip. If you want to put the microphone in and keep it hidden, there is a perfect spot on the left side of the radio. If you look behind the right side of the steering wheel youll see the indent with 3 cutouts. I ziptied my microphone behind that spot and it works perfectly if I need to talk to someone while in the car.

As for a head unit I cant really recommend one as I got one out of a wrecked car for $50 bucks including the new dash piece and wiring harness and have no experience with those units.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts