8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

help with aem afr/boost gauges

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Fa5_nate 
#1 ·
hey guys, i'm having trouble finding a diy on how to install digital aem boost and afr gauges in my sc 2010 si

so basically i have the wires and apparent o2 sensor looking part which i assume goes in the exhaust/header . now i also have teh blue tube with a tiny hole that i assume goes on the nipple on the mani of my ct-e kit?

also i have no idea how to run the wires through the dash to the appropriate areas. btw i have the xlr8 frog eye pod

any help would be appreciated!

#3 ·
Its tough to walk someone through an install like that just by verbal description alone. Basically you need to tap the interrior fuse box for your 12v power source. You can hook them both into the same fuse tap.. then you need to attach the ground wires for both. Just look for a metal spot close to the fuse box.. There is a small bolt up to the right corner of the fuse box.. You can use that for your ground.. The fuse spot you tap for your power needs to be ( INTERMITTENT) meaning the power only runs to that fuse spot when the car is running . If you need to know what fuse # that is pm me and ill go look at mine.. So there you have the pos and neg cables hooked up and you know where the sensors go so there is just the wire routing left... Pull the plastic insert off the dash where the xlr8 pod is going to go.. once its off put a flashlight in the opening and get under the dash.. With your wires in hand look for the light of the flashlight ( this tells you where there is a possible opening to thread the wires.. There are many ways to cram them in there .. Its a pain but just shove them in any way you can.. No specific route you just need them in there. You wont see them after you button it back up with your new xlr8 pod.. There that is a short description to help .. It is a bit more complicated then it sounds..If you dont understand how to tap the fuse box just talk to the ppl at your local auto parts store.. They will guide you to what you need to buy and what to do with it .. Hope that is more help then confusion lol.....

Best of luck

#14 ·
Its tough to walk someone through an install like that just by verbal description alone. Basically you need to tap the interrior fuse box for your 12v power source. You can hook them both into the same fuse tap.. then you need to attach the ground wires for both. Just look for a metal spot close to the fuse box.. There is a small bolt up to the right corner of the fuse box.. You can use that for your ground.. The fuse spot you tap for your power needs to be ( INTERMITTENT) meaning the power only runs to that fuse spot when the car is running . If you need to know what fuse # that is pm me and ill go look at mine.. So there you have the pos and neg cables hooked up and you know where the sensors go so there is just the wire routing left... Pull the plastic insert off the dash where the xlr8 pod is going to go.. once its off put a flashlight in the opening and get under the dash.. With your wires in hand look for the light of the flashlight ( this tells you where there is a possible opening to thread the wires.. There are many ways to cram them in there .. Its a pain but just shove them in any way you can.. No specific route you just need them in there. You wont see them after you button it back up with your new xlr8 pod.. There that is a short description to help .. It is a bit more complicated then it sounds..If you dont understand how to tap the fuse box just talk to the ppl at your local auto parts store.. They will guide you to what you need to buy and what to do with it .. Hope that is more help then confusion lol.....

Best of luck
could you show me your setup with wiring?? I put my red wire and hooked it up with add a circuit and connected it to fuse 3, then Iput my grounded wire where you put it but it still doesn’t read, it turns on but does not read when I start the car

#4 · (Edited)
:yeahthat: Good overall guide info. Flashlight idea is perfect for routing wires behind the dash.

I'll add a few notes to it:

You want to use a mini size add-a-fuse like this one you can get from Autozone or Advance Auto, etc. (not NAPA - they charge like $16 for it!)

Buy Bussmann ATM Fuse Tap - 10 Amps BP/HHH at Advance Auto Parts

That makes the power supply to the gauges much easier. Use a crimping tool for connections - they have them too.

For the ground, any chasis location is OK if you do not think you will ever hook the gauge outputs into Flashpro through the car's ECU. But if you do think you might do that, you really should use the G1 ground on the intake manifold (or part of the supercharger that replaces it). Otherwise, you might get a stray current running through your ECU and fry it. That would be bad.

Running wires to the engine bay from the passenger compartment is a pain - there is a grommet up behind the clutch pedal (higher, and pretty far left actually) that you can run the wires through. Suggest you use wire loom (split flexxy cable housing stuff) for your wiring work to keep it protected/contained. Strongly recommend you spend the time to route wiring through this grommet and do NOT try and drill a new hole through your firewall - my research suggests that ends in big problems.

You may or may not have enough wire to get from the O2 sensor all the way to the gauge - I didn't with my AEM, so you need to splice in some extra wire. Use similar gauge wire, and make sure its a very good connection (crimping tool again) and protected (loom, elect. tape, then zip tied along the way).

Boost gauge tubing should tap into one of the nipples on the discharge side of the supercharger (right before it connects to the engine block), kinda under the injectors.

Too bad there is no good DIY for the entire project. It is a long one - I easily spent 6 hours on this for my AEM O2 sensor and oil pressure gauge with XLR8 V2 pod. Maybe you can do the DIY!

Good luck with your build.

#5 ·
^^ exelent addition! See I told ya it was a bit more complicated then it seemed haha..

It took me a good half day to do mine as well. Grounding the wideband to the ecu ground is

Definetly a must!! Youll want to go the extra mile and do that, trust me.. Sooner or later

you will get the itch again and tackle wiring the aem into the ecu.. I DID :)

#13 ·
Just going to leave this here for future gauge installers.

If you're attempting to use the the grommet to the left of the clutch (the one an inch or two away from the grommet with the hood release cable running through it) and you have a moonroof, it will be occupied. There is a tube coming down from the roof of the car that fits into this hole allowing the sunroof to drain to the fender area.

My solution to this was to disconnect the last piece of this hose which serves as both the hose outlet and the grommet. I then inserted a smaller diameter piece of vacuum hose that fit snugly into the remaining hose and routed it through the hole. This then left enough room to run my cables next to it.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to seal the gaps around the wires and hose although I didn't personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.