8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every morning before i go to school i warm up my car. when drive pass 18 MPH i hear like a weird noise and it sounds like metals clanging together. It only happens once every morning. help !

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats all i got. It happens every morning when i hit 18 MPH. it has like a metal clanging sound.

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
It happens in every gear? Do you accelerate quickly? Is it just a cat that was sleeping in your engine bay screeching?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm i've only tried 2nd and 3rd. No i dont i take it slow and i have tried quick ones to see whats up but its the same. i really don't know where but it sounds like its under me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ABS turns on at about 18 mph after the car is first started. My car had a slight rattle noise at 18mph and it ended up being an ABS line that was touching up against something. When the ABS turned on at 18 mph the line would rattle. I would not describe the noise I had as clanging metals. I'm not sure that your problem is the same as mine but it may be related to the ABS system.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ABS turns on at about 18 mph after the car is first started. My car had a slight rattle noise at 18mph and it ended up being an ABS line that was touching up against something. When the ABS turned on at 18 mph the line would rattle. I would not describe the noise I had as clanging metals. I'm not sure that your problem is the same as mine but it may be related to the ABS system.
i just recently just got the same noise when im at slow speeds like you said making a clanging sound...so it might just be the ABS line but it doesnt happen when it first starts it can happen when i drive after 15mins or whatever

·
Registered
20 Posts
is it only between the time of when you first start to drive it like in the morning or is it anytime you drive in the day?What mph does it stop at?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It only happens ONCE every everyday in the morning. I guess it's the ABS line since a couple of you guys get the same sound.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I assume you have an Si, and you say it happens in both 2nd and 3rd, right? So it can't be gear related.

Do you press your brakes at all after starting and before getting to 18mph? In my R18, if I don't hit my brakes before getting to around that speed, the floating pads will "click" back into place. I know that's alarming for some. If you say it sounds like it's under you, it must not be a tranny or physical brake issue.... (unless ABS related like already stated)

Has it done it ever since you bought it or just started recently? I'd take it to get checked if it's something that just popped up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
see if it happens when your doors lock (usually around that speed).

i have a noisy door lock actuator on my left rear door and every morning when i take off and the doors lock it makes a funny noise

·
Registered
606 Posts
see if it happens when your doors lock (usually around that speed).

i have a noisy door lock actuator on my left rear door and every morning when i take off and the doors lock it makes a funny noise
If you have the default setup (look in manual to change it), they lock around 9.5mph. Is this different on Si's???? I had the noisy actuator on my rear passenger door and Honda conveniently had them in stock and changed it out the same time they changed out my loose weather strips, seat cover, sunroof motor, :facepalm: don't remind me...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just started noticing it recently. nothing happens before or after 18 MPH its always right on 18 MPH. and like i said it only happens once everyday.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
dude check ur manual. this is normal. its a system checkup. you hear it once after EACH time you start the car and happens around 18 to 19 mph. it's a slight clunk noise, whereas the manual describe it as a "humming" noise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also had this problem with my car. Just as you stated, right around 17/18MPH there would be a short faint rattle noise. It was speed related, not gear related.
The dealer looked at the car, said all the ABS lines were fine, and the car still made the noise. The tech ended up torquing some subframe pieces (probably the control arms) and that took care of the problem. I guess it was a harmonic. I have no idea what would cause it though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Please direct me to the page where it says a rattling sound is normal. My car does not do it anymore either.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Please direct me to the page where it says a rattling sound is normal. My car does not do it anymore either.
not sure if there is a page. your car should have come with a bunch of manuals, one big one and then a few smaller ones. the one with all the flip tabs on the bottom says in there that when you first start ur civic, it will perform a check test (i believe it stated abs) at around 18 to 19 mph EACH time you start it up. the manual stated the noise to be a "humming" noise, but for me, as well as others have stated, it's more like a quiet thud, but audible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.