8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, hope I'm posting in the right place. I got a P1009 code a bit ago, and then it went away a week later after not driving it. I think it might have just been an oil clog or something, but my vtc is rattling on cold starts so I decided to clean the strainer and solenoid anyways. Strainer was nice and easy, and was hardly dirty at all, but the the solenoid refused to budge. I took a wrench and mallet and softly tapped it, but it broke in half extremely easy, leaving the rest still in the engine. I got some angled needle nose pliers and some of it came out, but it looks like it had broken again and left the bit at the end in there. Every video I saw about this made it seem like the solenoid should just slide out super easy, any reason why mine would be stuck? Does anyone have ideas for getting that last bit out?

The worst part is the solenoid looks pretty clean, so this was probably all pointless to begin with :(

Thanks,
Caleb

Household hardware Finger Thumb Gas Auto part

Hand Sleeve Finger Thumb Nail

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how did you resolve it?
Sorry! I got ahold of some really thin needle nose pliers and was able to shimmy it out. Really frustrating that it broke so easily, and I still don't know what caused it to be stuck in the first place. Unfortunately P1009 code is still there for me, but I'm continuing to drive on it just because I haven't noticed any changes in the way it drives. I'm going to check the timing chain to see if it's stretched, but I'm guessing a bad vtc actuator. I'll update here when I get around to that since you seem interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts