8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been trying to install my Strup header for the past several hours. I have gotten the old header out, and the new header in, but when I try to bolt up the new header, I cannot get the header to line up with the bolts on the engine block. The reason for this (I believe) is that I can't get the correct angle on the bolts due to the bottom portion of the header hitting the frame of the car.

I think maybe that the mandrel bends on the header were slightly off, making it impossible to get the correct angle/position of the header to the engine block.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know, because I'm sure what to do as of now. Thanks.

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
photos would help

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
u have to keep playing with it to get the right angle.. its easier with a friend or someone to help hold the bottom end.. dont be afraid to use some force that is what the flex pipe is for.. pics would help also

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so it wouldn't fit. I took it out and set it up against my old header, and the holes don't line up at all! So I'm going to be calling Strup and letting them know. I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
u have to keep playing with it to get the right angle.. its easier with a friend or someone to help hold the bottom end.. dont be afraid to use some force that is what the flex pipe is for.. pics would help also
lmao, no, the flex pipe is there for the sole purpose of allowing "flex" in your exhaust sytem when the motor moves.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
duh.. but the flex pipe is going to allow some movement to get it in the right spot.. y i said dont be afraid to use some force

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Ok, so it wouldn't fit. I took it out and set it up against my old header, and the holes don't line up at all! So I'm going to be calling Strup and letting them know. I will keep you guys posted on what happens.
wow:pat:, thats sucks, hope this gets resolved, ima check to make sure the holes line up during my install this saturday now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
wow:pat:, thats sucks, hope this gets resolved, ima check to make sure the holes line up during my install this saturday now.
Check as soon as you get the stock header out. Don't do what I did and waste 1-2 hours trying to fit it in before I took it out and compared the two.

I sent an email to Strup, and I will call them tomorrow if I haven't heard back from them yet. Like I said, I will let you guys know what happens!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
it just takes some wiggliing to get the right angle...I've done my install and I didn't have much problems with alignment.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
probably sent you the wrong one.
I think it's the right header, and the box says it is, but I think they just drilled a couple holes off. They aren't off by a whole lot, but enough to make it matter, about 1/8", to where I get slide it on the the studs that are in the engine block.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sucks. It should slide right on. All the Stroups should be the same
I'm not sure how they are made. If they are made in a die, then yes, they should all (theoetically) be exactly the same. Since the pipes are mendrel bent and welded, I would assume this means each piece and assembled/welded by hand, therefore opening the possiblity for slight variances. The problems isn't with the mandrel bent pipes or the welding though, it's where the holes were drilled to mount to the engine block.

There are 5 places you mount to the engine block, two of those are studs in the engine block that sldie the header on and put nuts over the studs, and three of them are holes to bolt into. The problem is with the studs. The holes on the Strup header where it slides onto the studs are drilled slightly too close together, meaning I can't fit the header on both studs at once. It will go onto one stud, and the other stud will be halfway lined up of the hole and halfway out. I'm not sure of the holes for the bolts are drilled correctly or not either, because I can't mount the header on the studs to begin with. From measuring with a tape measure though, the holes on the bottom seem fine.

I hope this explains the problem a little better.

where did you order it from?
WeSellCarParts.com - one of the site sponsers. This is not their fault in anyway though, so no blame goes to them, they did nothing wrong.

·
Registered
13,332 Posts
i was just wondering if it maybe could have a been a whole batch of strup headers because i just got mine in from corsport, yeah i know its not their fault

·
Registered
343 Posts
You must complete the right combination of jiggling, twisting and screaming at your bleeding knuckles and tired hands. Theres 1, just 1 angle that allows the headers to be correctly fitted to the block. Just take your time, have someone help you and remember which combinations of jigglets, twistings and screamings that you have previously completed (just because its frustrating to try something that you already know doesnt work.)
-FreuderLocks

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've tried for about 2 hours with someone else helping. It doesn't fit. We can get it lined up perfectly sraight and jiggle it and push on it all we want, but it doesn't fit on both studs. The holes on the header are just too close together. When I took the header out after trying for that period of time, you can see where the stud on the engine has been stratching the area right next to the hole.

I wouldn't make this up lol.

·
Banned
146 Posts
A similar thing happened to me, but I was able to get mine on somehow but the holes where off and when i was tighting the last bolt it wouldnt go on. found out it was the wrong header and that it striped the block.. :SHOCKED: so i had to have it helicoiled. it sucks theres a problem but be happy its not worse...

·
Registered
390 Posts
To be honest when I installed mine I dropped the front assembly down a bit till I could get it to fit then tightened everything and bolt the fron sub frame assembly back and done. You are using a lift right .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts