8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP! ricey problems!! VIDEOS ADDED

HELP PLEASE!!! Ok, i dont know if it's just my car, but now that i have the DC race headers and a full on custom catback, the exhaust sounds very ricey from a cold start:eek:mg:. Even when Im running on the freeway:vtec:, sometimes the ricey (somewhat tinny) sound from the exhaust really bothers me. It's not as noticeable as my friends would say. My exhaust sounds mean but the whole raspy at times issue gets to me.... I've heard from some people with civics that it's common, but i haven't really encountered an Si yet with a similar set-up as I have (SR/DCRH,CB). Can anyone help me out here? Should i dump my custom exhaust and get a brand name on? which one doesnt sound raspy or ricey?

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
personaly for our cars I would only get a custom exhaust if its performance has already been proven on another car just like ours. (thats just my personal opinion which means nothing) because you basically have NO idea how your exhaust is gonna turn out. it could be the best exhaust ever or it could be the worst because it has never been tested

Im really happy with my skunk2

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
personaly for our cars I would only get a custom exhaust if its performance has already been proven on another car just like ours. (thats just my personal opinion which means nothing) because you basically have NO idea how your exhaust is gonna turn out. it could be the best exhaust ever or it could be the worst because it has never been tested

Im really happy with my skunk2
I was thinking of the Skunk 2 or the greddy one... but the shope i take my cars too is a full on race shop so they do know what they're doing - the piping is mandrel bent and polished on the inside for good flow. My muffler is jtst an OBX tho.. ( i used to have a Borla on my corolla:biggrin:). Im thinking keep the piping and get a new muffler only....

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I was thinking of the Skunk 2 or the greddy one... but the shope i take my cars too is a full on race shop so they do know what they're doing - the piping is mandrel bent and polished on the inside for good flow. My muffler is jtst an OBX tho.. ( i used to have a Borla on my corolla:biggrin:). Im thinking keep the piping and get a new muffler only....
Yes keep the piping and go with a Skunk2 axleback,HKS,Apexi N1 style you have many choices.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
a full race shop, but what do they specialize in?? V8s,6s or 4cyl.

I specialize in building Banchees(yamaha) BUT i can build a Raptor(yamaha) or EX400(honda) that doesnt mean those would be the best, it just proves i can just do it, because i have the knowledege.
did any of that make sense??

IM NOT trying to say your exhaust is bad or the company doesnt know anything about exhaust. Its just Skunk2 and Greddy specalize in products for OUR cars.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
You could have a glass pack or 2 added to the exhaust...Should help with the raspiness...or so say a few members on here...

·
Registered
517 Posts
i have a custom exhaust as well with a dcrh. it is raspy but thats normal since its custom with no resonators. i dont think its ricey. the sound might get annoying sometimes but i think its more so, mean and aggressive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a custom exhaust as well with a dcrh. it is raspy but thats normal since its custom with no resonators. i dont think its ricey. the sound might get annoying sometimes but i think its more so, mean and aggressive.
^^ thats what my friends say about my exhaust since i have no cat and and no resonator at all. It sounds mean and deep but the raspiness bugs me to no end..... maybe I'm just anal about it......

·
Registered
517 Posts
it just depends on what you like man. if you're looking for a more define sound thats less noise and more consistent, i'd go for a greddy exh., or lsd or some of the other companies that make mild sounding exhaust systems.

^^ thats what my friends say about my exhaust since i have no cat and and no resonator at all. It sounds mean and deep but the raspiness bugs me to no end..... maybe I'm just anal about it......

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
You could have a glass pack or 2 added to the exhaust...Should help with the raspiness...or so say a few members on here...
i had a resonator on my old custom mandrel bent exhaust. its sounded nice before the header and i got rid of the exhaust the day i put the header on. it sounded like pure rice. i have the tanabe. i love the way it sounds. its deeper than stock but its not noticable below 3k and at full throttle and in the higher rpm's it sounds awesome. i know most people wont go with the tanabe because its still very restrictive but i would prefer to lose 2 hp but sound awesome. i get comments on the exhaust all the time. plus i like to talk to my wife while i am driving. :wavey:

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
i had the same problem with my dcrh + magnaflow cat back. i sold it and now rock the DC cat back which is coming off cuz of the quality. going back to skunk2 which was my original exhaust before dcrh. :pat:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I notice the raspiness after the DCRH install too (stock exhaust).. Hopefully the skunk 60MM catback would fix that..

2.5"--->2.25" FTL!?

·
Registered
208 Posts
HELP PLEASE!!! Ok, i dont know if it's just my car, but now that i have the DC race headers and a full on custom catback, the exhaust sounds very ricey from a cold start:eek:mg:. Even when Im running on the freeway:vtec:, sometimes the ricey (somewhat tinny) sound from the exhaust really bothers me. It's not as noticeable as my friends would say. My exhaust sounds mean but the whole raspy at times issue gets to me.... I've heard from some people with civics that it's common, but i haven't really encountered an Si yet with a similar set-up as I have (SR/DCRH,CB). Can anyone help me out here? Should i dump my custom exhaust and get a brand name on? which one doesnt sound raspy or ricey?
Post up a vid if you can I wanna hear it...

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
i had a resonator on my old custom mandrel bent exhaust. its sounded nice before the header and i got rid of the exhaust the day i put the header on. it sounded like pure rice. i have the tanabe. i love the way it sounds. its deeper than stock but its not noticable below 3k and at full throttle and in the higher rpm's it sounds awesome. i know most people wont go with the tanabe because its still very restrictive but i would prefer to lose 2 hp but sound awesome. i get comments on the exhaust all the time. plus i like to talk to my wife while i am driving. :wavey:
please post up a vid. i'd like to hear this setup. i do like the skunk but once i install that along with my custom intake and achieve the 200+whp i want on the dyno, the skunk will probably not stay on long and i will be looking for a replacement. somrthing a lil more neighborhood friendly...lol. right now, it looks like it'll be comptech...

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
please post up a vid. i'd like to hear this setup. i do like the skunk but once i install that along with my custom intake and achieve the 200+whp i want on the dyno, the skunk will probably not stay on long and i will be looking for a replacement. somrthing a lil more neighborhood friendly...lol. right now, it looks like it'll be comptech...
i have three. i am uploading them on youtube now. gimme a few minutes.

Reactions: Qshooter151

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
ya Q the vid u posted of your buddys fg2 sounded nice with the comptech exhaust and bc header, prob will go that route too, after i rock the stock exhaust for a while.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts