8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 civic si and I've been having some serious radio problems it switches between aux radio and cd on its own.. The display works but will fade in and out at times and the lights that light up the keys under the display don't work at all.. It'll shut off on its own with a lot of static and almost sound like it blows the speakers out.. I noticed when I'm sitting in my car in neutral when the fan kicks on the radio will usually act up not always tho.. If I hit the top of the radio it'll start working again.. I'm willing to replace my radio I just want to see if anybody else has had this problem, replaced the radio and that was the solution. I've seen a few threads on this but none with a solution. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if I replace the radio would that get replaced or is it something id have to specifically ask them to do/look into? Im looking to put in some sort of pioneer touch screen not too sure exactly which one.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
All the electronics (minus amp and steering wheel control) is contained inside the radio/cd unit.

You have premium setup btw. (has external amp)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. I'll be listening to a cd and all of a sudden it switches to the radio, then back to cd, then radio, then back and forth ... Sometimes I get the loud static noise like the speakers just blew and I just turn off the radio and the display fades out ... after a few minutes the display starts slowly getting brighter. Sometimes I turn on the car and the backlight to the radio comes on but the display does not. Should I replace the audio unit with oe? HondaPartsNow has it for ~ $400 ... I am leaning toward this because it would be a simple plug and play ... I do not know the difficulty in putting in a double din dash kit and a aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update:

So I just replaced my positive battery cable harness (~$70 for part, ~$250 labor at Honda dealer) .... Now I have no issues whatsoever with my stereo

·
Registered
626 Posts
That's very strange. With a bad battery cable I would expect the radio to be the least of your problems. But hey if it worked, that's great!

You don't have to get a new radio from Honda, eBay would be much cheaper.. Just make sure it comes with the code!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
coincidence, time will tell.

I laid the red protector coating to the battery terminals right after purchasing the 2010 after reading about them corroding so much on 8th gens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't agree with calling this a coincidence. I do not have a wiring diagram. But, if I am not mistaken, the battery drives the radio. I have a pet bunny. Sometimes he chews phone charging cables. He doesn't chew all the way through them so sometimes my phone charges and sometimes it won't. This is a comparable example to what was happening to my radio. I think it is straight forward. Battery / cable / relay / radio. Radio wasn't working. Changed cable, radio works.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What made u replace that cable? Could u tell it looked messed up or u just had a hunch that could be it? Just wondering if there is something I can look for to see if that's the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What made u replace that cable? Could u tell it looked messed up or u just had a hunch that could be it? Just wondering if there is something I can look for to see if that's the issue.
Did you solve the problem? I saw several reports of the same problem.

What is the definitive solution? HELP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you solve the problem? I saw several reports of the same problem.

What is the definitive solution? HELP
Change the battery, it's the low voltage from an old battery (or when battery is very cold) that makes the radio crap out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts