8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys first off thanks for whatever help you can provide, well i have a custom header on my r18 but i dont have a defouler cant that hurt my motor in any way besides the cel light and also does hinder performance cause in my r18 i need as much hp as i can get lol. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
88,185 Posts
If you have a cel light from not having a defouler and do nouthing about it you will ruin you o2 sensor. Just go buy a defouler and install it so you dont have to worrie about it. Ant CEL light that you have left alone will have a negitive affect on your motor.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump for more answers

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you get a CEL for the deficient catalytic converter, then it puts your ECU into an open loop and makes it run worse to try to correct the emissions. So yes, it does have an affect on your performance.

Hence the problem with having "smart" ECUs.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure if you get a CEL for the deficient catalytic converter, then it puts your ECU into an open loop and makes it run worse to try to correct the emissions. So yes, it does have an affect on your performance.

Hence the problem with having "smart" ECUs.

see the thing is i think my car is actually running worst but i thought maybe its in my head also does anyone know where i can get a new secondary o2 sensor for my r18

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump for some more answers

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump need more answers

·
Registered
592 Posts
ur car is probably running worse, because when theres a cel, I believe the ecu changes how the engine runs to correct wutever the issue is, and hinders power. get a defouler to remove the cel and ur problems should go away.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Go to autozone or something and have your code scanned. Make sure one of the ensors isn't damaged. If it's a code for the catalytic converter, just buy a defouler, or make one yourself using spark plug nonfoulers. If the code if for a malfunction in one of the sensors, you will have to buy a replacement. I'm not sure where you can get a replacement O2 sensor except from the dealership, but someone else may know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.